Woohoo Australia/New Zealand Travel Bubble

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh dear, action stations!

No need. Apparently that person had been fully vaccinated, and worked as a cleaner on  planes that had come from high risk areas. The person had been tested regularly and was negative on the previous test. Presumably since the person had been vaccinated there is a much lower risk of them transmitting the virus in the community.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It could be awhile until Vanuatu and Fiji enter a bubble. 😒

"Vanuatu's health authorities have ordered a localised three-day travel lockdown after the body of a COVID-19-positive Filipino sailor was found on a beach.

It comes as Fiji brings in strict nationwide measures after a quarantine hotel breach that has led to at least three people testing positive so far, including a soldier providing security and a cleaner."

Source ABC

9 hours ago, lissie said:

Agreed - and it also seems to have worked for them in other parts of the world - Italy, UK about to start, Caribean also going to start for US passengers.  

The interesting thing is if they would insist on social distancing and masks - that will be the key bit. I'm a hard no on masks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one (its not political - I can't see with them on because I wear bifocals ) 

Go to Youtube and search "wearing spectacles with a face mask hacks".  There are many vids to help you using different approaches ... and they work.  I prefer the folded tissue over the nose with the mask pinched over it.  No fogging and plenty of room to "breathe".  Simple really and no problem really.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This NZ case is going to be a good test of how effective the Pfizer vaccine is at reducing or stopping the spread if a vaccinated person still gets infected. 

So much for the vaccines being the end of our problems.

It will be interesting to find the details,what county and what strain and how bad they come down with it.

20 hours ago, lissie said:

The interesting thing is if they would insist on social distancing and masks - that will be the key bit. I'm a hard no on masks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one (its not political - I can't see with them on because I wear bifocals ) 

You have to be kidding Lissie, I wear multifocals and wore a mask all through Victoria's lockdown and Covid restrictions and still wear one when required. In fact will wear one this afternoon when I go to have my flu vaccination. I just use a folded tissue as LC1950 described and it works perfectly. 

Leigh

35 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So much for the vaccines being the end of our problems.

It will be interesting to find the details,what county and what strain and how bad they come down with it.

Yes, those details will also be interesting. Also the fact that it was unlikely to be direct person to person transmission but was picked up from either a surface on the plane or from air circulating in the plane.

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

You have to be kidding Lissie, I wear multifocals and wore a mask all through Victoria's lockdown and Covid restrictions and still wear one when required. In fact will wear one this afternoon when I go to have my flu vaccination. I just use a folded tissue as LC1950 described and it works perfectly. 

Leigh

It might not be fogging that is the problem but rather something to do with the focal lengths in the lower section of the bifocals. They aren't as flexible as multifocals.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, those details will also be interesting. Also the fact that it was unlikely to be direct person to person transmission but was picked up from either a surface on the plane or from air circulating in the plane.

Going by the ABC report, you are correct about direct contact.

"Officials previously said the worker did not have face-to-face contact with passengers and may have contracted the virus from cleaning planes."

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

The country and variant of the virus was not yet been released. 

That takes a bit of time from what I've seen in past articles, it's not something they can just pinpoint immediately. The case was only discovered yesterday so that info should be known in a day or so. It's probably trickier since the infection isn't from direct person to person transmission.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That takes a bit of time from what I've seen in past articles, it's not something they can just pinpoint immediately. The case was only discovered yesterday so that info should be known in a day or so. It's probably trickier since the infection isn't from direct person to person transmission.

They know that the passenger arrived into Auckland from a 'red zone' country on April 10. Genome sequencing has confirmed the link. Therefore, the country of origin is known and the virus type also.

42 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

They know that the passenger arrived into Auckland from a 'red zone' country on April 10. Genome sequencing has confirmed the link. Therefore, the country of origin is known and the virus type also.

The genome sequencing from that passenger, or from the worker who just tested positive?

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The genome sequencing from that passenger, or from the worker who just tested positive?

"Results from genome sequencing overnight showed a match between the strain of COVID-19 the airport worker contracted and a passenger who arrived into Auckland from a 'red zone' country on April 10 while infectious." ABC

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

The virus type has been released. "Both genomes match the UK variant, B.1.1.7." Source, The Guardian

Now for the country the traveller departed from to be released.😉