Nowegian Covid 19 testing???

grnsunset

Is NCL going to offer Covid Testing during cruises so passengers can enter different countries that require a negative Covid test within the last 72 hours.  AND, is NCL going to offer Covid Tests for passengers prior to disembarkation, so US residents can fly back to USA that day?.  Have asked these questions on NCL's "Chat" and been given no reliable answer.  Was told they have a "Plan", but they couldn't tell me what it was or where to see it in writing.  They just kept replying to "Book Now" before prices go up.. Not booking anything until I know their plan.   Anybody got thoughts. Thanks

Have not been told anything about onboard testing. I have a Hawaii cruise booked for November 2021 and they told me that only vaccinated passengers would be able to sail and due to that Covid testing after cruise will not be required to return back to the mainland. I am American and dont know what their policy will be for people from other countries. They seem to have the mindset that fully vaccinated passengers are not considered a threat on a cruise, at least that is what I understood in talking with them.

• Like 1

I'm thinking that there is still so much uncertainty about the virus, week to week and month to month, that no firm plan like that can be determined.  As they approach sailing dates, then they will have to have in place whatever might be required to get the guests on, off, and back home again.   But for now, the requirements are too much subject to change.  

3 hours ago, grnsunset said:

Is NCL going to offer Covid Testing during cruises so passengers can enter different countries that require a negative Covid test within the last 72 hours.  AND, is NCL going to offer Covid Tests for passengers prior to disembarkation, so US residents can fly back to USA that day?.  Have asked these questions on NCL's "Chat" and been given no reliable answer.  Was told they have a "Plan", but they couldn't tell me what it was or where to see it in writing.  They just kept replying to "Book Now" before prices go up.. Not booking anything until I know their plan.   Anybody got thoughts. Thanks

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

There will be tests before boarding paid for and administered by NCL.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Thank you, Steff.

English link:

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFE

Per the link NCL is doing antigen testing, which as of now wouldn't be acceptable to many...maybe almost every country...as adequate evidence of being COVID free. Normally PCR testing is mandated.

Note the last sentence: "Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing."

By the way here's the link to the NCL US/Canada web page as opposed to a European page:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFE

I found this PDF  from NCl  stating they will test prior to disembarkation.

UNIVERSAL TESTING FOR ALL GUESTS & CREW All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. In addition, a second COVID-19 antigen test will be administered prior to disembarkation.

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/1aa87896-aae4-4475-85cd-77a231290dc6

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

I found this PDF  from NCl  stating they will test prior to disembarkation.

UNIVERSAL TESTING FOR ALL GUESTS & CREW All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. In addition, a second COVID-19 antigen test will be administered prior to disembarkation.

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/1aa87896-aae4-4475-85cd-77a231290dc6

Good to know but that wont work for the OP as most countries require a lab test within 72 hours, an antigen test will not cut the mustard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Good to know but that wont work for the OP as most countries require a lab test within 72 hours, an antigen test will not cut the mustard.

If they need a lab test within 72 hours the antigen test is ready  anywhere from 15- 45 minutes. Although not as sensitive as the PCR test.

11 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

If they need a lab test within 72 hours the antigen test is ready  anywhere from 15- 45 minutes. Although not as sensitive as the PCR test.

But it's a rapid test and not an equivalent of a PCR test. 
Some countries will accept it but many countries will not.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tumblew467 said:

Many countries (not the US unfortunately) require a OCR test. The Bahamas requires a PCR test and requires you to buy a COVID Visa and COVID insurance to enter. We are sailing out of Nassau in June and track their requirements to make sure we don’t miss our cruise. 

23 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

But it's a rapid test and not an equivalent of a PCR test. 
Some countries will accept it but many countries will not.

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Many countries (not the US unfortunately) require a OCR test. The Bahamas requires a PCR test and requires you to buy a COVID Visa and COVID insurance to enter. We are sailing out of Nassau in June and track their requirements to make sure we don’t miss our cruise. 

So  how does this work now , Since most require the PCR. And NCL has the antigen test they are going to do. Since they list that under their plan for testing. Cost is cheaper for the antigen test so that is maybe why they went route, But it does not meet requirements for some countries.

Just now, ScratchTheRat said:

They said you'll be tested before boarding and that NCL will pay for the tests, it's all included in the cruise costs.

So they didn't say which ones they were doing. Antigen verses PCR.  

5 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

So  how does this work now , Since most require the PCR. And NCL has the antigen test they are going to do. Since they list that under their plan for testing. Cost is cheaper for the antigen test so that is maybe why they went route, But it does not meet requirements for some countries.

I would think the tests they do are purely for their own benefit, certainly the boarding one will be, the exit test would then show everyone left the cruise covid free too.

54 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

Can you tell us more what they said, I did not see the show. 

52 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

They said you'll be tested before boarding and that NCL will pay for the tests, it's all included in the cruise costs.

51 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

So they didn't say which ones they were doing. Antigen verses PCR.  

As has  been pointed out by more than one poster on this thread, NCL has stated in writing they will be doing antigen testing. The written material on their website has been quoted  a couple of times already. In addition NCL specifies antigen testing in the Sail Safe plan it submitted to the CDC for approval. Once again here it is: https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

"Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing."

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, roger001 said:

I'm thinking that there is still so much uncertainty about the virus, week to week and month to month, that no firm plan like that can be determined.  As they approach sailing dates, then they will have to have in place whatever might be required to get the guests on, off, and back home again.   But for now, the requirements are too much subject to change.  

Crazy how a year ago things changed day to day.  Here we are a year later everything is still very dynamic.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As has  been pointed out by more than one poster on this thread, NCL has stated in writing they will be doing antigen testing. The written material on their website has been quoted  a couple of times already. In addition NCL specifies antigen testing in the Sail Safe plan it submitted to the CDC for approval. Once again here it is: https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

"Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing."

I understand that, I posted that  as well. post 10 

However , like some have said some countries require the PCR. So I guess they are cruising to countries that would accept the antigen verses the PCR. But as Birdtravel stated she is going to Bahamas and they require a PCR. Now you can get that done here prior to flying to the Bahamas. But  flying back to the US do you need a PCR once you disembark? Or will the antigen test that NCL is doing going to be accepted on disembarkation for entry back. 

• Thanks 1

NCL has repeatedly said complete guidelines will be issued 30 days out from sailing since regulations are so fluid (example being the Bahamas no longer requires testing done for people fully vaccinated).

If you're talking about entering the ports, NCL has likely worked out a deal where all fully vaccinated cruise passengers don't need a PCR test before getting off the ship. That would be absurd to take 4 tests in a week for each port. 

Wait until you get close to 30 days out, which is when NCL will release more complete requirements based on the regulations at that time.