New CDC directives....

Mudhen

I was wondering the same. We were in NYC for the day this week. We took the ferry to Red Hook. The cruise terminal looks very forlorn when the QM2 isn't tied up there. I was hoping that maybe she'd do the annual July 4th trip.

I hadn't even thought of that July 4th trip....that would be wonderful! But I did think she could do a few rts to the Caribbean before resuming her published schedule that starts in Nov. Since Canada is still out (at this second in time anyway),  it could work....maybe? Forever hopeful!!

7 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

As long as the Canadian border remains closed it's not possible to run the July 4th trip as that requires a call at Halifax due to the PVSA. 

Instead of Halifax, could they substitute Bermuda? Or is that too far?

It is my understanding that the new guidelines require that almost all crew members be vaccinated.  It might take some time for Cunard to assemble a vaccinated crew.  However, I am now a bit more hopeful that my Dec. 3 QM2 crossing will sail.

6 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Instead of Halifax, could they substitute Bermuda? Or is that too far?

Interesting idea since the ship is registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.  The logistics involved would likely require a lot more lead time than two months.  The July 4th sailing has traditionally been sold as an Independence Day call in Boston.  Those things plus sailing to Bermuda would mean hotter, not cooler, weather ashore.  Not sure this would appeal to the Cunard passenger as there had been no shortage of booze cruises from New York going there. 

Edited by BlueRiband

1 hour ago, BlueRiband said:

Interesting idea since the ship is registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.  The logistics involved would likely require a lot more lead time than two months.  The July 4th sailing has traditionally been sold as an Independence Day call in Boston.  Those things plus sailing to Bermuda would mean hotter, not cooler, weather ashore.  Not sure this would appeal to the Cunard passenger as there had been no shortage of booze cruises from New York going there. 

I know folks like that July 4th Independence Day cruise, but it wouldn't even have to be that...Maybe a start with something Caribbean at the end of July, or Aug....I realize Sept and Oct run the risk of dicey weather, but on the QM2, she can take some pretty severe stuff.....ANYTHING to get out of NY!!!

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But everyone onboard won't be vaccinated though?

I believe the change they most recently made was that, for the more liberal rules, 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew must be vaccinated. I think they probably consider that to be "everyone". But none of the CDC regulations have addressed masks, to date AFAIK. It has more been how to respond to an outbreak on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

I believe the change they most recently made was that, for the more liberal rules, 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew must be vaccinated. I think they probably consider that to be "everyone". But none of the CDC regulations have addressed masks, to date AFAIK. It has more been how to respond to an outbreak on board.

They are gonna struggle to reach 98% crew vaccined quickly in a lot of crew sourcing countries. Unless they can obtain private  supply as Royal may be doing. 

Perhaps the CDC is intending to enforce mask wearing on cruise ship forever - or for a very long period of time so forever for some people - to prevent spread of Covid and even Colds and Flus onboard and damage the industry in the process. Hence why the have not addressed the mask situation thus far. Perhaps they intend to use the 5%/2% unvaccinated number to justify that mandate. While still being able to use the stick or is it carrot of being able to cruise and other things by extension after being vaccinated to boost uptake towards the magic herd immunity level. How many people will get vaccinated just to cruise or fly for that matter and wouldn't get vaccinated if that mask mandate remained?

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

Another thing to consider perhaps regarding the press release and lack of mention of masks, social distancing et al. How much of that press release has been drafted in co-operation with the cruise lines from a point of them getting bookings, getting final payments and how many people would not book and not make final payments if masks, social et al are in place. Once you make the final payment you can't cancel you lose the money.

15 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No mention of masks or that kind of thing in this release.

You seem to be pretty fixed on mask protocols.

The wearing masks onboard may be new 'en masse' but it's certainly not a new phenomenon. We have been on many a world cruise segment where masks were worn around the ship, primarily by Japanese guests but by others too.

I'm pretty positive compulsory mask wearing will  become a voluntary exercise onboard although  I would imagine it could be sometime before those who would not normally mask up, stop doing so in certain areas of the ship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, frankp01 said:

I doubt that the CDC is going to get involved (or even has any jurisdiction) trying to police an onboard mask policy.

Here's a summary of the recent revision

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24896-cdc-aims-for-july-start-up.html

They apparently do if a ship leaves or enters U.S waters so possibly within the 12 mile distance from U.S waters to international waters. What happened in International waters I don't know. And the QM2 spends most of time international waters hundreds of miles away from the nearest land mass. It would be up the 14 security personnel and other staff onboard the QM2 to actually enforce any rules I suppose. Though a carnival wide ban with 1 warning only for not wear mask/slash not wearing it properly might be very effective.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They apparently do if a ship leaves or enters U.S waters so possibly within the 12 mile distance

Yes, masks are mandated on US transportation: planes, trains, ships.  But the QM2 could hit international waters  in an hour or so. The CDC is not going to be concerned about that trivial portion of the trip.  That doesn't mean Cunard might not mandate them.  They're currently mandating a mask 'for certain portions of the ship' for this summer's 'staycation cruises':

"appropriate social distancing and the mandatory wearing of face masks in certain areas of the ship. All guests will need to comply with this face mask policy in order to travel."

That said, the United States had a substantial reduction in the number of flu cases this this year. It's attributed to mask wearing.  I did not have my usual cold this year.  I may wear a mask during flu season in the coming years.

10 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

They're currently mandating a mask 'for certain portions of the ship' for this summer's 'staycation cruises'

That is due to UK regulations. For these trips within UK waters they are covered of UK policy and the UK equalivent of the CDC. I am not sure what it is but it is not the NHS.

Edited by ace2542

Travel agencies and cruise lines might push, but no-one puts anyone's arm up their backs, to book.  Can't blame the cruise lines there. Up to the purchaser to take the risk. Or not.

This Pandemic situation is unprecedented. I think Cunard, along with other lines had no idea what was going on or what was to happen and when the mud started to clear and it became obvious shipos were going nowhere,  I think Cunard did their best with most of their booked clients [not all as some slipped through the net either by Cunard or/and by their agents] and along with our own agent who dealt with our many cancelled bookings and re booked replacement cruises, we didn't lose a bean and in fact gained 25% on all the cancelled bookings. Better than saving rates!

• Like 2

I think the hospitality industry reacted well. Cunard and P&O offered FCC or refunds. Cunard accepted responsibly to reimburse our return from South Africa after cruise cancelled whilst we were there and didn't quibble about Business class.  BA , Cathay,  and Finn Air refunded in weeks. Tui was fastest 3 days. But all in all very good.  We dealt directly,  I  think a few TA were slow, but most good.

For me it will be interesting to see about the Q.V. world cruise which is hopefully bringing us back from S.A. in April.  They should have a good idea by October if it will sail as planned in January I worry about  Australia and New  Zealand .  Have booked a air ticket as back up.

20 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

For a cruise to be a domestic cruise with no isolating on return , as well as not docking outside UK it must follow UK hospitality rules to the letter

The information I read a few days ago on the Cunard UK site made the mask requirement clear. It went on to say that if someone was exempted from wearing a mask they may not travel on the ship. (At the moment I can’t find that so I can’t quote it verbatim.)

The wearing of masks in some parts of the ship is the least of my concerns about the on-board protocols.  If I was a UK resident wanting to take one of the earlier cruises, this information regarding travel insurance would cause me concern because you can be denied boarding “at your own expense” if at the time of embarkation your policy is deemed to be not sufficient.  This is not a criticism of Cunard. It is their ship so they make the rules. This I can quote:

“It is mandatory for all UK guests to take out comprehensive travel insurance for their voyage with us. While we hope you never have to use it, the policy will ensure you’re able to relax and enjoy your voyage with the peace of mind that you’re protected should you need it. When travelling with us, your insurance must include a combined medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to Covid-19.

You must also ensure your policy includes cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full cover for any and all pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.

Your travel insurance documents will be checked at the terminal and must cover the entire duration of your holiday. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you don’t have appropriate cover.”

This is helpful for those who find it difficult to get insurance that will cover COVID issues:

"Cunard has partnered with Holiday Extras to offer appropriate, comprehensive travel insurance cover for our holidays. To find out more, visit www.holidayextras.com/cunard or phone 0800 093 3070 and quote CUNHX. "

Edited by david,Mississauga
"Copy & paste" didn't work well.

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

It went on to say that if someone was exempted from wearing a mask they may not travel on the ship

Possibly in fact probably a violation of the UK Disability Discrimination Act in some cases for what that statement is worth.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1