Cruising Without a Vaccination

Be careful what you wish for. The desire to know who is vaccinated with the government's help may seem reasonable because disease causes anxiety. Remember, disease has always been with us and there are 7.8  billion people alive today. We are not in danger of extinction just yet, although we walked around right here with swine flu, and other viruses and are alive to read this. This type of policy can very easily go too far. It's better not to open what could turn into Pandora's Box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s hope the media doesn’t sensationalize this. If they do, we (cruise lovers) are in a world of hurt. My understanding is that the two who tested positive are vaccinated and asymptomatic. If that is true, the process is working as intended. Like I said earlier, we can’t keep covid off the ship but hopefully we can keep people safe regardless. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

Another perspective and more detail.  The two positive antigen tests were confirmed by a second test as positive. All close contacts have been quarantined to cabins. Positive cases will be put in hotel quarantine upon arrival in SXM until a negative test is achieved. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

The vaccines should be required or people can' t go on the ship. Can't be everyone elses problem who is willing and able to get the vaccine. Why should they be endangered and then run the risk of quarantine or worse?  After watching the Princess documentaries that should be enough to motivate anyone to attempt to protect themselves.

There will always be loopholes; people will scan a friends card and superimpose their name. Their isn't a master database that is 100% accurate either. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don’t think everyone will need the vaccine to cruise “period”. There is a gray area. Forever banning unvaccinated likely can’t  hold up long term from a business model. 

I do think those who remain unvaccinated will

need to be patient. But I believe that as we learn more, respond better, and reach herd immunity those who are unvaccinated will be welcomed aboard with open arms.

The industry is in a precarious position. They risk survival if we don’t get the return to cruising correct, but they also risk survival if they alienate a large percentage of their customer base.

My prediction- cruises resume requiring 95% vaccination (per cdc). This figure will evolve as we learn more about how to respond  to the virus. In the absence of another surge, i suspect it won’t take long.

I know things will level off, but if I want to cruise with my family next year I will need to suck it up and do it. My hope is no boosters will be required for 2023 or 2024 my next two after 2022 two trips.