Sky Princess Obstructed View Marina 122, 118, 114

SimonPaco

Sky Princess: For Cabins M122, M118, M114 they are described as “Part Obstructed View Glass Balcony Rail”. I have tried without success to find out what exactly this description entails. I called Princess as they usually can tell you exactly what the “obstructed view” is and then you can decide if you still want that cabin. After a half hour and multiple holds the agent gave me a variety of possible viewing obstacles - which did not make sense. Such as a life boat make block your view - I do not think so as the  Marina deck is on the 15th floor. I didn’t give up. I next tried the “chat” option. The agent was much more willing to help but again could not give an explanation.

So my dear fellow Princess cruisers...have any of you stayed in these cabins? We LOVE the Marina deck and for the cruises we are looking at these are the only balcony cabins available in the forward section of the ship.

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!

1 hour ago, SimonPaco said:

Sky Princess: For Cabins M122, M118, M114 they are described as “Part Obstructed View Glass Balcony Rail”. 

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!

I have had a serious study of the Marina Deck cabins in the area you highlight.  The cabins that face forward have a lot of access rules regarding use of the balcony which is very unusual.  In addition to this other problems are mentioned regarding the obstruction of view issue.  M106 non-glass balcony rail. M110 metal balcony rail.  The term balcony rail seems to refer not to the hand-rail at the top of the balcony but the whole glass balcony panel.  I believe that the ship design has problems for the forward facing cabins regarding balcony use due to proximity to the bridge.  The cabins to the sides of the ship have no access problems regarding balcony use.  The cabins at the front have a metal wall which I believe wraps around to the sides of the ship.  This metal fronted balcony situation only exists at the sides of the ship as far as M122 and the next cabin further back has a traditional glass fronted balcony.  I think the annotation you mention should read: "Part Obstructed View NON-glass Balcony Rail"

Regards John

11 hours ago, SimonPaco said:

Sky Princess: For Cabins M122, M118, M114 they are described as “Part Obstructed View Glass Balcony Rail”. I have tried without success to find out what exactly this description entails. I called Princess as they usually can tell you exactly what the “obstructed view” is and then you can decide if you still want that cabin.

Most balcony cabins have a see-through glass barrier up to the railing. So you can look out through the glass or over the top of the railing.

I think the cabins you are asking about have a metal barrier instead of glass. You can look out to see over the railing, but not below it. In other words, standing up you will have no problem with the view. Sitting down you would not be able to see through the metal barrier.

Pictures below shows the idea. I do not know what ships or cabins this is from.

Discovery Princess Deluxe Balcony Details

Review of Balcony Cabin E107 on the Regal Princess - YouTube

Here is a picture taken of that area of the Sky Princess. The cabins in question are within the circled area one deck above the bridge. Maybe you can figure out the obstruction from this.

Theo1145000545_SkyPrincess.thumb.jpg.129ce2c2bc1c82602c0ac8e272c9d631.jpg

Looking at the photograph it does not look like they have metal fronted balconies.  The view standing at the rail may well be the fact that the bridge wings are going to be somewhat obvious obstructing an all round vista.  I should book this balcony cabin for the Caribbean if they are the last available. You can always opt in for automatic upgrades but they look good enough to me.

Regards John

Thanks everyone for the input and pix. If the glass is see thru and the obstructed view is the bridge then we are okay with that. On a previous Princess ship years ago our view included being just below and behind the bridge. It was kinda cool to see the officers at work. 
Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated. We sooooo look forward to cruising again!

• 8 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 2:46 AM, Renmar said:

Here is a picture taken of that area of the Sky Princess. The cabins in question are within the circled area one deck above the bridge. Maybe you can figure out the obstruction from this.

Theo1145000545_SkyPrincess.thumb.jpg.129ce2c2bc1c82602c0ac8e272c9d631.jpg

Your picture is great.  I was wondering if you had anything closer and straight on for S110, which is right under the Sanctuary, as that has some white metal there and we booked the room for 40 days, so I am wanting to make sure it is not a big obstruction.  I cannot find any good photos of sky which shows the balcony for S110.  It sure would be helpful.  Someone posted S111, but that room was not available for all 40 days and it is not obstructed.  Thanks.  Mar

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/10/21/USAT/a70e3b7b-fdb2-4087-83c9-3a393f9a205e-dronekotorphoto_jpg-305647-original.jpg?crop=3823,2151,x136,y0&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds

Looks like glass to me. I often do searches for "images" for different ships. It really helps. Please know that these balconies are not very deep. for example, angled balconies in the middle of the ship are larger as well as some on the Dolphin deck