Mardi Gras to Port Canaveral

scmom77

On 5/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, BlerkOne said:

It is still in Barcelona and sometimes goes puttering around  When the AIS data lists Miami as a destination, we will have plenty of time to drive to Miami 

My bad. Getting ahead of myself - was thinking Celebration. PC is closer for some of us.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Barcelona to PC is what about 7-10 days (my guess)? If mid-July is the sail date opening, they could send her over as late as end of June and be fine. We are on her July 24th if all goes well.

I would say tops since they won't really have to have port stops for passengers.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How much natural gas does Florida produce? A rhetorical question. None.

In the US,

The top producing states are Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Louisiana, which produce more than 50 percent of U.S. natural gas.

Not sure of the relevance of you post?  Fuels are made all over the worlds and shipped elsewhere in various forms.  There are LNG pipelines in FL, dunno where it is originally from (I would guess LA or offshore in the gulf, but it would be just a guess).

I suspect (!) that Port Canaveral has been selected because they have enough area to install a full-blown LNG facility (removing need to rely on barges) to support all the cruise lines that want to bring in LNG ships, which seems to be the plan as @Moviela mentioned.

From Carnival:

MARDI GRAS NEWS 

First LNG-Powered Ship in North America to Arrive at Port Canaveral on June 4

MIAMI, May 17, 2021 – When Carnival Cruise Line’s newest ship, Mardi Gras, arrives to her new home in Port Canaveral, Fla. on June 4, she will be flying the Bahamian flag to designate the new ship registry for the first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) ship to operate in North America.

Mardi Gras has been the most highly anticipated new ship in the cruise industry for more than a year, with her arrival and inaugural impacted by the extended pause in cruise operations from U.S. ports.  But with more and more hopeful signs of a return to guest operations and constructive discussions between the industry and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Carnival is moving the ship to Port Canaveral to get her ready for sailing.  The ship will depart from Barcelona on May 21 to start her transatlantic voyage and eventual arrival.

Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line, thanked the Panama Maritime Authority for their support during the ship’s construction and registration process but said that the move to the Bahamas Maritime Authority made business sense for a number of reasons.  “The Bahamas will be a frequent destination for Mardi Gras, and we are pleased to bring this new level of environmental sustainability to the many ports in the Bahamas and the Caribbean that the ship and our guests and crew will be visiting,” she said.

Upon arrival to Port Canaveral, Mardi Gras will continue to bring joining crew members on board, train them on new equipment, technology and procedures, and get ready to welcome guests for her inaugural sailing.  On Sunday evening during the global broadcast of the MISS UNIVERSE competition, Carnival named Miss Dominican Republic Kimberly Jimenez as the Mardi Gras godmother.  

The Dominican Republic destination of Amber Cove will be among the destinations the ship will regularly visit on seven-day itineraries.  Along with the new LNG technology, Mardi Gras will boast many other firsts, including the first cruise ship with a roller coaster.

Cheers

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

S  W  E  E  T   !

(8/7/21... 8/7/21... 8/7/21) --- for good luck!

Tom

3 is my lucky number. Hence firefly333 ... 3 X gotta be extra lucky. Like crossing fingers x 3, both hands and crossing baby fingers. 3. 

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing this news!  We are booked for July 31. Yep, 1 day later than the latest group of cancellations and not on one of the 3 ships named for July departures. I kept checking cruisemapper which showed the Mardi Gras sitting in Barcelona and figured if it didn’t start moving soon, there was no chance a 7/31 departure could happen. Still not confident but this provides some hope. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

I will be there to welcome her!

We will be there as well!  We don’t sail the Mardi Gras until October, unless we can grab a cabin for cruise before then. That may be tough unless somethings change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

3 is my lucky number. Hence firefly333 ... 3 X gotta be extra lucky. Like crossing fingers x 3, both hands and crossing baby fingers. 3. 

To add to that... I actually just this morning had ordered THREE new suitcases - as ours are nearly a decade old, and have seen a lot of use. Going with Travelpro again - hoping for the same build quality.

I'll plan on making my way by the port at some point that day -- it's going to be busy!

Tom

• Like 1

So happy to hear she will be sailing to Port Canaveral soon.  My July 17 cruise on the Mardi Gras was recently cancelled.  Hopefully my 8/28 will be going.  If not, maybe the 9/8, 10/16 or 11/6 I have booked.  Sooner or later I will be on the Mardi Gras.  Hopefully sooner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jordanaire said:

The NBC Nightly News reported that the Mardi Gras is arriving in Port Canaveral on June 4th. This is exciting news! Will be watching her arrival online.

I DVR that (actually Youtube.TV) - was it last night? I'll have to go back and watch!

Tom

5 hours ago, jordanaire said:

We're on the September 25th sailing! After 25 cruises, this will be our first balcony cabin! Can't wait!

And you're not too far away from your first Milestone sailing! (Definitely get a balcony for that one, since you'll have a chunk of OBC coming your way)!

Tom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stellarose said:

but all sailings are not until October, based on the website. now the other sailings could be sold out. so no one yell at me.

Either sold out, but more than likely just pulled out of circulation so that they don't hit max capacity. I'm sure that they don't know yet what % they're going to be shooting for.

Tom