Southampton Cruise and COVID test + What is "fully vaccinated"?

pmd98052

We sail out of Southampton on June 1st. MSC web site is not at all clear about the COVID test that is required within 72 hour window prior to arriving at the port.

Where do we get this test from? I presume regular NHS lateral flow tests are not valid since they don't product a "SMS, Email, or Paper" result?

From the web site: "All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a lateral flow (antigen) or PCR (molecular) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. Proof of a negative test result will be requested at the terminal and we will accept evidence such as an email, SMS or a printed document. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (any proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests."

Anyone know what MSC recommend here?

Also since we will have had our second AstraZeneca shots on May 25th does that mean both of us are "fully vaccinated" or not? Again the web site isn't clear on this since I think it takes >=15 days post second shot to be considered fully vaccinated?

MSC are being very slow in getting this information out, as someone who has both shots I also want to know exactly how they want me to prove that.

There are plenty of places to get the test including Boots, here is a good article from Which:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/03/where-can-i-get-a-covid-19-pcr-or-antigen-private-test-to-go-on-holiday/

It has been posted by others that they have been told the NHS home test is allowed as long as you register the tests and get an SMS/email to show on your phone.

As far as the two shots go, I agree with you normally they expect 2 weeks to pass from the second shot but again there is still a lack of information.

I hope more information will be available after tomorrows 5th May Webinar but either way they need to get o with providing all this information, this incudes the insurance requirements we are still all waiting on!

Mind you.... despite the Webinar being tomorrow and I registered there is still no information how to attend or what time it takes place!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

As long as you are UK resident you shouldn't have a problem as all Viruosa cruises are for people from UK

I'm confused, what do you mean? being a UK resident does not avoid any of the requirements the OP asked about.

It has be confirmed by several sources that in the UK a home administrated  lateral flow test is acceptable.  When completing the test, you log on to NHS website with the result and they send you an instant result via email which you will be able to use.  Anyone in England can Request for a pack of 7 tests from NHS and they are mailed to you the next day.

Emma has created a blog describing this that you should find useful:

https://emmacruises.com/which-covid-19-tests-do-you-need-for-an-msc-british-isles-cruise-2021/

Edited by rattla
  • Like 1

I have asked what proof MSC require on checkin re fully vaccinated and been informed.  Quote  Please be advised that proof required for both vaccinations is the vaccination NHS card showing vaccine batch and date you received. end quote

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I'm confused, what do you mean? being a UK resident does not avoid any of the requirements the OP asked about.

Sorry I was referring to another thread and got them confused!!

47 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Fully vaccinated = both vaccinations.

Yes, from a medical perspective it takes 14 days for them to be fully effective but that's not the requirement. 

Thats pretty weird - So even though it will be less than 7 days or so from my 2nd AZ shot I'll be considered fully vaccinated and thus not need to get a COVID test 72 hours prior?

For insurance we booked the one MSC link to on their site (Europ-Assistance) - Hope that is enough?

1 hour ago, rattla said:

It has be confirmed by several sources that in the UK a home administrated  lateral flow test is acceptable.  When completing the test, you log on to NHS website with the result and they send you an instant result via email which you will be able to use.  Anyone in England can Request for a pack of 7 tests from NHS and they are mailed to you the next day.

Emma has created a blog describing this that you should find useful:

https://emmacruises.com/which-covid-19-tests-do-you-need-for-an-msc-british-isles-cruise-2021/

OK so I was just speaking to MSC about something else and they are now telling me you CAN’T do a home test, it has to be in front of a medical practitioner etc to prove it’s you. 😕

2 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

Thats pretty weird - So even though it will be less than 7 days or so from my 2nd AZ shot I'll be considered fully vaccinated and thus not need to get a COVID test 72 hours prior?

For insurance we booked the one MSC link to on their site (Europ-Assistance) - Hope that is enough?

MSC said that you have to have a 14 day gap between having a second jab and the sail day of a cruise.

Rattla  ...  Commonly known as Left Hand / Right Hand not talking to each other!

That's strange and a worry if msc have told you 14 days after 2nd jab if I've read that right(apologies if I haven't)as my TA called msc last week as hubby would of had his 2nd jab 12 days before so asked about this (as other cruise lines are asking for 10 and 14) and msc said as long as you have had both jabs no need to have 72hr test. Going to get back on the phone to TA and msc to confirm as there is nothing in Ts&Cs stating days after 2nd jab. 

31 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC said that you have to have a 14 day gap between having a second jab and the sail day of a cruise.

Wish they would make things like this (and which specific tests can be used as well) clear on their web site.

25 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Wish they would make things like this (and which specific tests can be used as well) clear on their web site.

The CDC has stated this on every single news outlet a thousand times over the past year.  You would have to be actively trying to ignore the information to not know some of this basic data.

The cruise industry, and just about every other industry in the service business are basing their business practices as laid out by the CDC guidelines and from the equivalent agencies specific to each country.  They take their cues from them.

"Fully vaccinated" mean the full injection regimen (2 Moderna or Pfizer shots, or one J&J)  and the prescribed waiting period of two weeks after the shot(s).

Nearly every single question anyone has about how the vaccines work, what we know about the virus, who is most at risk, and what is the latest as relates to individual industries can be found on the CDC website.  And has been for months.

You can't ignore the CDC website and then complain when rules are thrown in your face.  Likewise you can't never open your cruise booking account page then complain when your cruise was canceled and no one told you.

37 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

The CDC has stated this on every single news outlet a thousand times over the past year.  You would have to be actively trying to ignore the information to not know some of this basic data.

The cruise industry, and just about every other industry in the service business are basing their business practices as laid out by the CDC guidelines and from the equivalent agencies specific to each country.  They take their cues from them.

"Fully vaccinated" mean the full injection regimen (2 Moderna or Pfizer shots, or one J&J)  and the prescribed waiting period of two weeks after the shot(s).

Nearly every single question anyone has about how the vaccines work, what we know about the virus, who is most at risk, and what is the latest as relates to individual industries can be found on the CDC website.  And has been for months.

You can't ignore the CDC website and then complain when rules are thrown in your face.  Likewise you can't never open your cruise booking account page then complain when your cruise was canceled and no one told you.

Ummm this cruise is out of Southampton, UK. It isn't governed by CDC guidance.

If MSC isn't yet clear on what tests are needed and what "fully vaccinated" actually means they should just state they are still working through the details. I'm not saying they need to be 100% specific but if they don't know they let us know when they will have specifics in place. Some peoples cruises are really quite close to leaving so plans need to be made for getting tests done if they're not considered "fully vaccinated" (and what the proof needed for that is) and we need to know specifically what tests can be used and from what vendors.

Same for insurance - I bought from the vendor they linked to on their FAQ section. I hope its ok.

Edited by pmd98052

I asked MSC both these questions via email

and received this response:-

There is no set limit a guest must have the second vaccine for, as long as they have 2 shots of the vaccine upon embarkation to the ship with proof of this on the NHS cards provided - You are good to go!”

All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a lateral flow (antigen) or PCR (molecular) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. Proof of a negative test result will be requested at the terminal and we will accept evidence such as an email, SMS or a printed document. A fit to fly certificate wouldn't be needed as you would be receiving confirmation of a negative test result by email, SMS or a printed document.”

I think I will do an at home lat flow test 72 hours before even though I will have both jabs before travel. Overkill maybe but I’d rather be over prepared. 

Edited by MISSGJ

4 minutes ago, MISSGJ said:

I asked MSC both these questions via email

and received this response:-

There is no set limit a guest must have the second vaccine for, as long as they have 2 shots of the vaccine upon embarkation to the ship with proof of this on the NHS cards provided - You are good to go!”

All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a lateral flow (antigen) or PCR (molecular) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. Proof of a negative test result will be requested at the terminal and we will accept evidence such as an email, SMS or a printed document. A fit to fly certificate wouldn't be needed as you would be receiving confirmation of a negative test result by email, SMS or a printed document.”

I think I will do an at home lat flow test 72 hours before even though I will have both jabs before travel. Overkill maybe but I’d rather be over prepared. 

Thanks - Why MSC don't post the "fully vaccinated" response to their site so people no I don''t understand.

The tests detail on their web site also doesn't really help. Is the NHS lateral flow test acceptable or not. They need to make it clear.

While Motownvoice can call out "just call" MSC and ask them my experience of getting answers from front line customer service that are accurate is low. It doesn't help me much if at the cruise terminal I tell them, "but Joe from your call center told me <X>" - MSC needs to have the clear policy for "X" on its web site. Its not much to ask for. Like I said if they don't know what the policy for "X" is yet a simple "We're working on the details for "X" check back in "Y" days" is totally fine.

Edited by pmd98052

This is why I emailed instead of called so I have it in black and white from their customer service department. 

I agree it should be posted online clearly. That would help everyone. 

I am still going to do the lat flow before hand like I said. I don’t need to but it doesn’t bother me to take that extra step just in case. 

Edited by MISSGJ

9 hours ago, rattla said:

OK so I was just speaking to MSC about something else and they are now telling me you CAN’T do a home test, it has to be in front of a medical practitioner etc to prove it’s you. 😕

I understand the reasoning behind MSC not accepting home tests, however, surely a test done at a community Lateral Flow Test Site will suffice as it would be an official test and ID is required. Results are provided via SMS or Email.

I actually emailed MSC a week ago requesting clarification and have yet to receive a response of any kind 🤷‍♀️.

8 hours ago, CaroleC said:

I understand the reasoning behind MSC not accepting home tests, however, surely a test done at a community Lateral Flow Test Site will suffice as it would be an official test and ID is required. Results are provided via SMS or Email.

I actually emailed MSC a week ago requesting clarification and have yet to receive a response of any kind 🤷‍♀️.

I too emailed MSC about this a week ago and am still waiting for them to clarify.

It wouldn't do any good for anyone trying to falsify a home test though if we're going to be tested again when we get to Southampton.

It's all making me feel very disorganised though as it's just over two weeks till we leave and we're still not 100% sure what we'll need at the port to be able to board 😕

7 minutes ago, Waju said:

It's all making me feel very disorganised though as it's just over two weeks till we leave and we're still not 100% sure what we'll need at the port to be able to board 😕

Yes me too. I hate feeling like this too, I’m the sort of person who makes lists for everything and this not knowing is making me very unsettled.

Waju, are you on the inaugural sailing on the 20th or the following one on the 24th? We’re on the second one so if all else fails, I’m hoping that someone from the first sailing will post what’s acceptable at the port. Although I’ve got to say the thought of leaving it that late puts me extremely on edge!

I've just gone back to the MSC website and had another look at their health and safety pages - they have changed since I last looked a week or so ago!

This what it says now:

MSC VIRTUOSA – UK SAILINGS
For MSC Virtuosa’ sailings around the British Isles in the upcoming months, we will welcome only UK residents of all ages, both vaccinated and unvaccinated. All unvaccinated or partially vaccinated guests (i.e did not receive the full set of vaccine shots) will need to take a lateral flow (antigen) or PCR (molecular) swab test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure. Proof of a negative test result will be requested at the terminal and we will accept evidence such as an email, SMS or a printed document. The test is not required for fully-vaccinated (any proof of vaccination needed) or under 2 years old guests.

However, as per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID 19 swab test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, before boarding the ship. As I mentioned in my last post further testing will be done at the port anyway.

I'm going to print the health and safety page and write the date on it, then keep checking back to make sure it hasn't changed.

I do feel for MSC as we're in an ever changing situation but I would think that just a couple of weeks before the first sailing it should be clear to everyone what they need to do.

I still can't wait to see Virtuosa and put a dress on though☺️

Ooops, sorry don't mean to take over but I've just seen some of my earlier post is missing!!

I wanted to say the new health and safety page reads to me that as long as you've had two vaccines you're ok. In theory though, even if the second one was only the day before travel.

Also, the free NHS test should be OK as you get an email and an SMS - although I see you no longer need two copies of the result.

9 hours ago, CaroleC said:

ok, so I called back and the second person sort of said home tests were ok, but in all honesty I don’t think she really knew, so I said is there anyone she can check with.  She suggested I email the booking management team to get it in writing, so I have sent an email.  
I sent a copy of the NHS email you get sent after a lateral flow test result is put online, so I have asked if that sort of email was acceptable.  Let’s see if I do get a reply.