A Week in an Alternate Universe without COVID!

Hlitner

30 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

The Aranui looks pretty nice from what I can see on their site and I assume it would be OK to bring a drink to the pool on a sea day?

https://www.aranui.com/en/the-vessel/#carateristique

image.thumb.png.fa5dd3232c238dcaa752999556962715.png

The pool is tiny, there is no what you would call a pool area and since the ship isn't smooth in the water it causes incredible waves in the pool. At one point I saw a lady nearly thrown out of the pool😂. I know for some people though that is fun 😜. To me a resort especially an AI is like a small enclosed city. They have shops, restaurants, bars, theatres, health and beauty spas, maybe a golf course, play areas or daycare facilities for kids or other entertainment. Aranui doesn't have any of that nor do most expedition ships. They are pretty basic, you got your room, one restaurant where everyone eats maybe one or two bars and sometimes there will be live music or lectures in the lounge. Aranui had a health spa for massage which was as resort like as it got but that was probably because massaging is a traditional form of healing in Tahitian culture😁. Altogether it is far removed from anything like an AI resort😉

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The pool is tiny, there is no what you would call a pool area and since the ship isn't smooth in the water it causes incredible waves in the pool. At one point I saw a lady nearly thrown out of the pool😂. I know for some people though that is fun 😜. To me a resort especially an AI is like a small enclosed city. They have shops, restaurants, bars, theatres, health and beauty spas, maybe a golf course, play areas or daycare facilities for kids or other entertainment. Aranui doesn't have any of that nor do most expedition ships. They are pretty basic, you got your room, one restaurant where everyone eats maybe one or two bars and sometimes there will be live music or lectures in the lounge. Aranui had a health spa for massage which was as resort like as it got but that was probably because massaging is a traditional form of healing in Tahitian culture😁. Altogether it is far removed from anything like an AI resort😉

Thanks for the update!  I am pretty interested in this cruise.  Makes sense that the ship is rougher as I doubt it has stabilizers for comfort.  Pool area looks good enough to me for enjoying a drink!  I assume it's OK to bring a drink out to the deck?

image.thumb.png.24833e679abb39d12ba00954eea63657.png

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Just on the point   North Americans,, make up over 50% of all cruise passengers

1374354768_cruisepassengers.JPG.3e7897ddf17b9098722bfcb53c38877c.JPG 

On the point of these large Resorts   that are AI    I fear the AI part is just a way of marketing

When one talks of All-Inclusive,  I think of Boutique Accommodation ... small say 20 room or less....  where  this "AI"  includes getting you what ever you would like, nothing to much bother..

living in Alternate world would be interesting    if it was more like utopia 

I do not think you understand what we mean by All-Inclusive Resorts.  We are talking Sandals, Dreams, Secrets, Excellence, etc.   These are relatively large resorts (200+ rooms) generally located along a decent beach.  The decent AI's are classy, have gorgeous grounds, large suites, excellent service,  24 hour room service, etc.  The resorts  include all your meals (the resorts may have as many as a dozen different restaurants), entertainment, golf, drinks, etc.  After 8 days at our recent AI visit out bill for extras was zero!   24  The place we went to had a daily activity schedule,  catamarans (no extra charge), and only 9 restaurants (French, Mexican, Spanish/Continental, Asian, etc).   In our part of the world there are many AIs in Mexico and various Caribbean Islands.  Other countries such as Costa Rica have seen the growth of this industry.  

You can certainly find some small (often very pricey) all inclusive resorts, but they usually lack the options found at the larger places.   

Not sure what you mean by "a way of marketing."  Yes, they do market just like cruise lines, countries, etc.  But there are many folks who are as addicted to AIs as some of us are addicted to cruising.  These places have been around for decades but there has been a lot of growth in the industry over the past few decades.  

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The decent AI's are classy, have gorgeous grounds, large suites, excellent service,  24 hour room service, etc.

We have been to a fantastic AI resort in Kenya, with 40 rooms, two bars and one restaurant. And no 24 room  service - if you wanted a late night drink you went to the bar and poured one yourself. 

I assume you would not consider that classy?

Guess which one I would choose?

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have been to a fantastic AI resort in Kenya, with 40 rooms, two bars and one restaurant. And no 24 room  service - if you wanted a late night drink you went to the bar and poured one yourself. 

Bingo   we have stayed several times in an also fantastic Al resort in Tasmania with 20 rooms, a lounge and restaurant , 24 room service,  free bar in room snacks, spirits and wine ,  nothing to too much trouble.... ( we even had a chefs come to our room (140sq/m) and cook dinner for us )

Classy ??  I would think yes..... Crowds ?? Nil    Service  ?? what would you like...

The fact that it is Al   is not important.... Price   A Lot.......   Experience Priceless  

Hope to go back later this year...

44 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am with you on this one.  Just being in Kenya is always "classy" and that country has many fabulous hotels.  The only thing keeping us away from Kenya is that my wife does not like the idea of getting up early to go on safari :).

Hank

7 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks for the update!  I am pretty interested in this cruise.  Makes sense that the ship is rougher as I doubt it has stabilizers for comfort.  Pool area looks good enough to me for enjoying a drink!  I assume it's OK to bring a drink out to the deck?

image.thumb.png.24833e679abb39d12ba00954eea63657.png

Yes you can bring your drinks outside (just stick to smooth sailing days 😜 which to be fair was the majority of days at least on our cruise) . On the upper decks there are even tables, however unless the rules have changed smoking was permitted on the outdoor decks, which I know for some people may spoil the enjoyment. 

• Like 1