The Daily for Saturday May 08, 2021

richwmn

Bearded Iris in Diamond Bar

IMG_7046.jpg.d34d20b314b9fecd2e6e2af33b3c6f97.jpg

These lavender ones start popping up in April.   Other, more spectacular, colors start popping up in late May and June.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

Today I go for my first covid shot.  It seems like a long time coming.

My garden is in between the various iris blooming.  The mini ones that come in the early spring have been finished for a while.  The white ones in the photo below have not shown any sign of buds.  I am waiting anxiously for the bearded iris that I have scattered through the garden to bloom.  Since putting them in my garden a couple of years ago they have yet to bloom, and I can't remember which colours I bought.

Here is a sampling of iris that are in my garden from days gone by.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Val

Gorgeous!  And thank you for the pic of the mini iris.  I had never seen one of those before.  I’m also jealous of  @bennybear’s and @Overhead Fred’s.  They are beautiful.  Mine haven’t bloomed yet.  They seem very slow and struggling.    I hope I haven’t lost them with our icy miserable winter.

My friend who is a great gardener told me lost at least 15 perennials.  So far I THINK mine are coming ok.  But some are later than others.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@St. Louis Sal  I've had this on my refrigerator for many, many years, and I think of you and Fritz whenever I look at it. 

I found it in a magazine a long time ago.  This was our Brandy's attitude about life.  Our Nikki was just easy going and appreciated everything she got and we did for and with her.  Both have been gone many years. I still miss them, but have such good memories of both.

jpg177.thumb.jpg.dbe1b95430fa6b1f74050f972879277e.jpg

Lenda

Oh, that made me chuckle! Just look at that face, it’s all in the eyes and the ***** of their head. My daughters say that this Fritz (our other dachshund was Fritz too) is the most spoiled dog we’ve ever had. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

Gorgeous!  And thank you for the pic of the mini iris.  I had never seen one of those before.  I’m also jealous of  @bennybear’s and @Overhead Fred’s.  They are beautiful.  Mine haven’t bloomed yet.  They seem very slow and struggling.    I hope I haven’t lost them with our icy miserable winter.

My friend who is a great gardener told me lost at least 15 perennials.  So far I THINK mine are coming ok.  But some are later than others.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

Oh don’t be too jealous, they’re last years,   I split them last year so who knows this year?  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon from Sunny Las Vegas where the outside temp is 86 degree.

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report Rich.

Roy thinking of you for your surgery this upcoming Friday, thanks for providing the Care List and and Celebrations. Shoutouts.

After a busy week with cruise friends that were in town, this upcoming week will be very quiet. I also ate like I was on a cruise and gained 1.2 pounds so need to watch what I eat but not till Monday, Son is planning a special Crab Legs and steak meal plus Key Lime Pie tomorrow 😄 

Wishing all the Mom's a Very Happy Mother's Day!!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Oh don’t be too jealous, they’re last years,   I split them last year so who knows this year?  

I am sure they will be fine.  I have to split hostas if it ever warms up.  It feels like November here.  I’m not looking forward to that one at all and no idea where I will put them but I’ll find a place 😉 

• Like 11

We’ve enjoyed two visits to Muscat.  The first was our Arabia/Asia cruise, Piraeus to Singapore in 2014, on Rotterdam.  That ship had outstanding itineraries!  The second time was our 40 Day Transworld cruise, Southampton to Singapore, in 2016, and yes, also on Rotterdam!  Will HAL ever be able to offer cruises like these in the future?  I hope so.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@GeorgeCharlie  Thank you for posting the pictures of Oman and for the recommendation of the tour company and the guide.  Do you think it is safe for us to wander around Muscat on our own?  I know a lot will depend on the situation in that part of the world in a year or two.

Hi Lenda, 

Oman is fairly highly rated on the Global Peace Index (i.e. Safety) at #68. Not quite as good as Canada (#6), but much better than USA at #121. It's about the same as France (#64).

We did not have any concerns while we were wandering around downtown on our own. The areas we visited were super clean and uncongested. 

Unlike in Dubai and the rest of UAE, where everyone you meet are expatriate workers; in Oman, the people you meet on the street and in businesses, are mainly true native born Omanis - who have great pride in their country and culture.

Mohammed explaining some of the features of their traditional dress.

20161221_145930.jpg.06c1d3cd88cd2c9ead8618e4622fffdd.jpg

We found Oman to be much more enjoyable to visit than either Dubai, or Abu Dhabi. Plus, Oman is the fastest growing tourism destination in the Middle East.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Hi Lenda, 

Oman is fairly highly rated on the Global Peace Index (i.e. Safety) at #68. Not quite as good as Canada (#6), but much better than USA at #121. It's about the same as France (#64).

We did not have any concerns while we were wandering around downtown on our own. The areas we visited were super clean and uncongested. 

Unlike in Dubai and the rest of UAE, where everyone you meet are expatriate workers; in Oman, the people you meet on the street and in businesses, are mainly true native born Omanis - who have great pride in their country and culture.

Mohammed explaining some of the features of their traditional dress.

20161221_145930.jpg.06c1d3cd88cd2c9ead8618e4622fffdd.jpg

We found Oman to be much more enjoyable to visit than either Dubai, or Abu Dhabi. Plus, Oman is the fastest growing tourism destination in the Middle East.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, thanks for answering my question.  It’s good to know it’s a safe place.

Lenda

• Like 3