Available supplies onboard

RomanyUY

Specifically, I'm thinking about adult diapers, the pull up kind in particular. We've got a 14 day Celebrity cruise coming up in January with a lot of sea days, and port visit COVID protocols may or may not allow a pharmacy run to replenish. The way my DH is going, we would have to pack a separate zippered tote bag just for his diapers. I could probably cut down on the amount if I knew that such things were available onboard. Yes, I know it won't be cheap and I'm only planning on relying on ship's stores in case he uses more than our current estimate of two per day.

Any experience with this item?

Thanks in advance.

Not only do you need to bring your own supplies for the ship you also cannot depend on port pharmacies having the size you need. I don't know about the rules in Uruguay but in the US you can carry a bag with ONLY medical supplies (diapers, medicines, c-pap, wheelchair repair kit, etc) and not be charged by the airline for transport.

To my knowledge, you cannot purchase adult diapers on Celebrity.   And you may, or may not, be able to get to a place that sells them at port stops.   Especially if you cannot leave the ship unless on a ship-approved excursion.   

Check with your airline to see what their rules are regarding bringing medical supplies on your flight.   You might be able to bring a separate suitcase for the adult diapers at no charge.   A carry-on bag would be best because you would have it with you all the time without worrying about the airline losing your precious cargo.  

Interestingly, Royal Caribbean (parent company of Celebrity) has a program called Babies 2 Go where you can pre-purchase diapers, wipes, food, etc and the items you purchase will be in your stateroom when you board.    They should have a program like this for adults who need supplies!    

I would definitely contact Celebrity's Access Department (they are very helpful) and ask your question.   The might have connections with a supplier in the port your ship debarks from that can deliver the supplies to your stateroom.   (Also ask the Access Dept if they offer anything for protection for the bed.)

Here is their contact information:   

(954) 628-9708 or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com

If you think you will need two a day, definitely bring a lot of extras.   Just in case...

Here's an article written by someone cruising with incontinence:

https://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2110&hilit=diapers+cruise&start=10

PS:    Your stateroom attendant can provide you with bags to use to dispose of the diapers. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:57 PM, kokopelli-az said:

To my knowledge, you cannot purchase adult diapers on Celebrity.   And you may, or may not, be able to get to a place that sells them at port stops.   Especially if you cannot leave the ship unless on a ship-approved excursion.   

Check with your airline to see what their rules are regarding bringing medical supplies on your flight.   You might be able to bring a separate suitcase for the adult diapers at no charge.   A carry-on bag would be best because you would have it with you all the time without worrying about the airline losing your precious cargo.  

Interestingly, Royal Caribbean (parent company of Celebrity) has a program called Babies 2 Go where you can pre-purchase diapers, wipes, food, etc and the items you purchase will be in your stateroom when you board.    They should have a program like this for adults who need supplies!    

I would definitely contact Celebrity's Access Department (they are very helpful) and ask your question.   The might have connections with a supplier in the port your ship debarks from that can deliver the supplies to your stateroom.   (Also ask the Access Dept if they offer anything for protection for the bed.)

Here is their contact information:   

(954) 628-9708 or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com

If you think you will need two a day, definitely bring a lot of extras.   Just in case...

Here's an article written by someone cruising with incontinence:

https://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2110&hilit=diapers+cruise&start=10

PS:    Your stateroom attendant can provide you with bags to use to dispose of the diapers. 

Oh thank you so much!! I came to this thread for these very type of questions..and here you are!! DH is new to the "Depends" dependence and this is most helpful!!

10 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Oh thank you so much!! I came to this thread for these very type of questions..and here you are!! DH is new to the "Depends" dependence and this is most helpful!!

We take our own bin/trash bags (@555 by 630 mm) as the ones the cabin steward leaves are too big and we feel its a waste as they take the bags away with only 1 pad (diaper) in.

We also take Incontinence Bed Pads Disposable Absorbing Sheets with us to try to protect the skin of my DS and the bed. On some of the cruises we have been on, but not all, the cabin steward has placed a large cut trash bag on the mattress. This protects the mattress but does not stop the sheet from getting wet when/if the pad (diaper) leaks. The last thing you want is skin problem from lying on a urine soaked sheet whilst on a cruise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G0ZBR1Y/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=f537566ecfbfa2dc28ac5a74577a203c&hsa_cr_id=6180991720702&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=d324e158-3d76-439c-86e2-47799b38659c&pd_rd_w=mzNo1&pd_rd_wg=u6oJW&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 12:57 AM, Bloodgem said:

We take our own bin/trash bags (@555 by 630 mm) as the ones the cabin steward leaves are too big and we feel its a waste as they take the bags away with only 1 pad (diaper) in.

We also take Incontinence Bed Pads Disposable Absorbing Sheets with us to try to protect the skin of my DS and the bed. On some of the cruises we have been on, but not all, the cabin steward has placed a large cut trash bag on the mattress. This protects the mattress but does not stop the sheet from getting wet when/if the pad (diaper) leaks. The last thing you want is skin problem from lying on a urine soaked sheet whilst on a cruise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G0ZBR1Y/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=f537566ecfbfa2dc28ac5a74577a203c&hsa_cr_id=6180991720702&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=d324e158-3d76-439c-86e2-47799b38659c&pd_rd_w=mzNo1&pd_rd_wg=u6oJW&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

Thank you!!

To help with space, you may want to look at belted undergarments and see if they are available in your country.  They are much smaller than bulky diapers, but cover front and back well.  My husband is paraplegic and wears these daily.  He will wear a diaper over it when we are flying, just for added protection.

Edited by urcnpam

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 8:47 PM, urcnpam said:

To help with space, you may want to look at belted undergarments and see if they are available in your country.  They are much smaller than bulky diapers, but cover front and back well.  My husband is paraplegic and wears these daily.  He will wear a diaper over it when we are flying, just for added protection.

Thanks for the suggestion. The situation changes from week to week so I'm just trying to work on my contingency plans.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:57 AM, Bloodgem said:

We take our own bin/trash bags...

We also take Incontinence Bed Pads Disposable Absorbing Sheets with us to try to protect the skin of my DS and the bed.

Thanks for the tips. We will be bringing our own small trash bags and I'll need to scope out bed pads. The problem is DH moves around a LOT at night and whatever I use as a pad never stays put. I'm using a hospital sheet as part of the arrangement. I'll need to purchase a couple more. I don't think anything disposable will be big enough to stay put unless it's wrapped in something larger.

On 5/10/2021 at 3:21 PM, katisdale said:

Not only do you need to bring your own supplies for the ship you also cannot depend on port pharmacies having the size you need. I don't know about the rules in Uruguay but in the US you can carry a bag with ONLY medical supplies (diapers, medicines, c-pap, wheelchair repair kit, etc) and not be charged by the airline for transport.

No one has charged us for his rollator so we'll be okay. Besides, his regular "carry on" can fit inside the bag I have in mind. Mine is full of electronics and cameras. 

There are washable underwear that are supposed to be goo for 200 washings.  The handle leaks and are for men and women styles.  Wish I could remember the name right now.  I wouldn’t rely on them completely, bit several pairs might make you feel like you can handle emergencies wher you are running short either because of more usage or delayed returns home. 

I carried bladder pads for a 2 month cruise and found a cheap duffle, online, about the same size as the box.  Since I was allowed 2 pieces of luggage, internationally, I just shipped the box as luggage.  May have had some soft items too, but not many.  Did something similar for a trip to Australia for 6 weeks of cruises. 

I also carry a bag with CPAPs, extra scooter batteries, and a nebulizer as a carry on, it has a medical equipment tag on it.  The only time I was concerned about it was an flight internal to the UK.  There was a smaller than normal size for the overhead bin.  I was also worried about item count and so counted that item as one of our carryons.  Normally, like flying on emergency home from St Maarten I’ve had no trouble with an extra carry on.  

As for bedding, it’s heavy but Joann’s Fabric carries the rubberized sheeting used for changing tables etc.  we have friends who carry the soft memory foam like padding for their bed because they are too hard.  The room steward then is given it for their own beds, they always love it.  It makes up for having to remake the bed the first day although there’s always a bit of a tip to go with the unusual setup. 

good luck.  If I find the name of the cloth like underwear I post it.  They aren’t particularly cheap, but a good backup I’d think. 

On 7/28/2021 at 5:28 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

There are washable underwear that are supposed to be goo for 200 washings.  The handle leaks and are for men and women styles.  Wish I could remember the name right now.  I wouldn’t rely on them completely, bit several pairs might make you feel like you can handle emergencies wher you are running short either because of more usage or delayed returns home. 

If I find the name of the cloth like underwear I post it.  They aren’t particularly cheap, but a good backup I’d think. 

Is this the underwear?   https://www.weareverincontinence.com/

• 3 months later...

Big news for adult diaper users.   I just talked to Special Needs at Sea and they said that adult diapers can be ordered through them and they will deliver them to your stateroom on the ship.  You have to call them (or chat) to order these.

Note that Special Needs at Sea is not allowed on all cruise ships, so check with your cruise line to determine whether they are one of the providers that is allowed on their ships.   

specialneedsatsea.com  

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 5:13 PM, RomanyUY said:

Thanks for the tips. We will be bringing our own small trash bags and I'll need to scope out bed pads. The problem is DH moves around a LOT at night and whatever I use as a pad never stays put. I'm using a hospital sheet as part of the arrangement. I'll need to purchase a couple more. I don't think anything disposable will be big enough to stay put unless it's wrapped in something larger.

I've had the same problem with DH and he doesn't even move around!! Here's what I've been doing for a pad in the bed. I buy Chuxs from Amazon and then tape one to a large folded over towel with double sided tape. Not sure if you can get the Chuxs from "special needs at sea" but you could bring those along and the double sided tape. So far that's been working great for us! 🙂

On 2/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, LuAnn said:

I've had the same problem with DH and he doesn't even move around!! Here's what I've been doing for a pad in the bed. I buy Chuxs from Amazon and then tape one to a large folded over towel with double sided tape. Not sure if you can get the Chuxs from "special needs at sea" but you could bring those along and the double sided tape. So far that's been working great for us! 🙂

Take a look at something like "Gorilla Grip"  washable incontinence pads (not a disposable... or a rather expensive disposable!).  I'm sure there are other similar types.  There is some coating/texture to the underside so it really does stay put remarkably well.  You could put a chux over it, so it's only needed if the chux moves/fails.

They make them in small sizes up to a twin bed size, I think.  They are a bit bulky, not just a piece of plastic.  One can sleep comfortably on it with nothing else.  A chux would just be to keep from needing to change the bigger pad as often, etc.

Have you asked Special Needs at your cruise line if they have any way to launder soiled pads from passengers, perhaps at an extra cost?  I have no idea how they handle such things, but there must be "accidents" of various sorts on large ships; do they just toss those items or launder them?  And I would also think that they would want to encourage passengers to take precautions so that mattresses aren't soiled (although those may have durable protective covers, I suppose - but there would still be the sheets and perhaps mattress pads).

You might also check with medical supply houses, to see what they might have.  In part, it depends (no pun intended, aargh!) upon whether you just need waterproof protection against dampness or if you need something especially absorbent.

Good luck.

GC

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Take a look at something like "Gorilla Grip"  washable incontinence pads (not a disposable... or a rather expensive disposable!).  I'm sure there are other similar types.  There is some coating/texture to the underside so it really does stay put remarkably well.  You could put a chux over it, so it's only needed if the chux moves/fails.

They make them in small sizes up to a twin bed size, I think.  They are a bit bulky, not just a piece of plastic.  One can sleep comfortably on it with nothing else.  A chux would just be to keep from needing to change the bigger pad as often, etc.

Have you asked Special Needs at your cruise line if they have any way to launder soiled pads from passengers, perhaps at an extra cost?  I have no idea how they handle such things, but there must be "accidents" of various sorts on large ships; do they just toss those items or launder them?  And I would also think that they would want to encourage passengers to take precautions so that mattresses aren't soiled (although those may have durable protective covers, I suppose - but there would still be the sheets and perhaps mattress pads).

You might also check with medical supply houses, to see what they might have.  In part, it depends (no pun intended, aargh!) upon whether you just need waterproof protection against dampness or if you need something especially absorbent.

Good luck.

GC

Thank you so much...I"ll check it out for sure!!

• 3 weeks later...