Is it safe?

Peace2U

The cruise lines have avoided the troublesome areas of Mexico for years...that is why Acapulco is not typically a cruise ship stop. But the common stops...Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, one or two other less common stops, are pretty safe.

You wil see many canadians, americans and europeans that are living full time ( or at least for a longer period in winter) in those places. They enjoy living there. Use common sense and yes you will be safe.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The cruise lines have avoided the troublesome areas of Mexico for years...that is why Acapulco is not typically a cruise ship stop. But the common stops...Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, one or two other less common stops, are pretty safe.

"Mexican Riviera" cruises don't stop in Acapulco, they all seem to do Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlán, but if you look at a map it would seem that Acapulco is way too far south to be included in such an itinerary.  Panama Canal and repositioning cruises do stop in Acapulco, at least at times.

3 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

"Mexican Riviera" cruises don't stop in Acapulco, they all seem to do Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlán, but if you look at a map it would seem that Acapulco is way too far south to be included in such an itinerary.  Panama Canal and repositioning cruises do stop in Acapulco, at least at times.

We have done 5 or 6 Mexican Rivera cruises over the years, and have two booked for 2022. We have also done land tours in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta/ Nuevo Vallarta area. Acapulco has rarely been a cruise stop the last 5-8 years due to crime problems. We last stopped there 15 or so years ago...There was also some lines doing 10 day Mexican Rivera cruises that could go as far south as Ixtapa. It was on one of those that we stopped in Acapulco.

Other cruises occasionally include stops in the Gulf of California.

Recently returned home from our annual 10 week trip to Puerto Vallarta.  As always, my greatest fear was being hit by a bus after having one too many margaritas.   To the OP I would say your husband does not have a good point.  The ports used on Mexican Riviera cruises are quite safe (we feel safer in Mexico then at home) although you should always keep in mind that petty theft exists in any tourist destination so please take the normal precautions against pick pockets.  

Hank

• Like 1

Our last trip before the pandemic was on Holland America to the Mexican Riviera.  We returned to San Diego on the 15th of March 2020 and our ship immediately was sidelined.  (No illnesses though, a very conscientious staff and cooperative patrons complying with increased sanitization procedures.)  

We love the Pacific coast of Mexico and have been in PV and Cabo San Lucas a few times on our own.  Very safe, we rented vehicles when we weren't on cruises, everyone we met was friendly and there were no sketchy situations we encountered.  For us, we felt safer there than most cities the same size in the US.  Our first time in Mazatlan was on the cruise and we took a private tour to the Las Labradas Petroglyphs ( https://www.mazatlantours.org/las-labradas-petroglyphs.htm ).  Mazatlan also has a great expat/semi-year resident volunteer program to assist tourists.  http://www.mazatlantouristaide.com/   We are sure you'll enjoy your time in all three of these cities.  

• Thanks 1

We spent seven weeks in the winter before covid traveling through Mexico.  Independent travel.  We started in Cancun, Merida, Playa, and Puerto Morales.   Flew to Huatulco and worked our way up the coast by bus and by air.   Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and PV(plus Nuevo Vallarta and Bucerias).   We planned to keep traveling north to Mazatlan however covid hit so we decided in late March to fly home.

We never had an issue.  We never felt threatened.   We were so comfortable that we extended our stay in Acapulco to a week.  But...we travel frequently and are typically very aware of our surroundings.   We went out at night for dinner everywhere we stayed-including Acapulco.  

We had been to PV and to Play/Puerto Morales numerous times prior to this.   

We would not hesitate to return.  There is lots more that we want to see and do in Mexico.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, pbenjamin said:

they used to do Acapulco on 10 day Mexican cruises.  We were there many times. it's too bad what has happened there.  (Carnival used to do an 8 day from San Diego, it was Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo -- we did that several times also)

There was a Holland America ship docked for a day  in Huatulco in Feb '20 when we were there.  We chose that day to book a private boat and tour by water rather than remaining in town.

Our understanding is that Acapulco is much better that it was.  We certainly found this during our week long stay.  No issues whatsoever.  We even grabbed the local bus back to our hotel at night after a sunset cruise. No issues.  Then went out again by ourselves for dinner.   Zihuatanejo was probably our favorite place.  We intend to return.

Edited by iancal

Completely off topic, but I remember those ten day cruises out of Los Angeles very well.  Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, Ixtapa/Zihua, and Acapulco.  I did it on the Fair Princess and the Dawn Princess.  And I am sorry to say that I haven't been to Ixtapa or Acapulco since Princess stopped doing this itinerary!

The cruise lines dropped Acapulco because of crime.  They also dropped Mazatlan for several years for the same reason, and started to visit Mazatlan again only after the authorities brought the crime under control (at least in the tourist areas).  The boycott began in 2011, and ended in 2013 - 2014.  Since the cruise ships returned, the city of Mazatlan has taken pains to insure that none of the drug/gang violence spills over into the tourist areas.  It feels very safe to walk around and tour the area.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We are planning to be there in about 6 weeks. My concern is the Covid. Originally we were just going to stay on the ship but I’m having second thoughts about that!  My husband is over 65 and diabetic and my son has Down Syndrome so I am very cautious. They both have received their boosters so I’m feeling a little better about getting off the ship now.

what do you think? Are they getting Covid under better control now???

54 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

We are planning to be there in about 6 weeks. My concern is the Covid. Originally we were just going to stay on the ship but I’m having second thoughts about that!  My husband is over 65 and diabetic and my son has Down Syndrome so I am very cautious. They both have received their boosters so I’m feeling a little better about getting off the ship now.

To be honest, I think the Mexicans are more serious about following COVID protocols than in the US.  I also think the level of herd immunity in Mexico is much higher than in the US as the case rates there have been incredibly high.  These are now coming down again.  Finally, vaccines are now more generally available in the urban centers and people - including young adults - are getting vaccinated.

Just my opinion based on my travels and talking with family/friends living in Mexico.  Take it for what it's worth.

2 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

I’d love to do Stone Island on our own but I’m not sure he’ll be ok with that.

To get to Stone Island on your own, there is the OUTDOOR walk to the "ferry", an OUTDOOR boat ride to Stone Island, and an OUTDOOR beach and OUTDOOR restaurants.  You can social distance pretty readily, except on the boat, but that is outdoors and with wind from the boat's progress.  I would put Stone Island into the low risk category.  The drive from ship-side to the Passenger Terminal and the shopping mall in the Passenger Terminal are the "scariest" part of the adventure, Covid-wise.

I hope you have a great and safe trip.

12 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

To get to Stone Island on your own, there is the OUTDOOR walk to the "ferry", an OUTDOOR boat ride to Stone Island, and an OUTDOOR beach and OUTDOOR restaurants.  You can social distance pretty readily, except on the boat, but that is outdoors and with wind from the boat's progress.  I would put Stone Island into the low risk category.  The drive from ship-side to the Passenger Terminal and the shopping mall in the Passenger Terminal are the "scariest" part of the adventure, Covid-wise.

I hope you have a great and safe trip.

Thanks for this. Is there a lot of walking? My son has Down Syndrome and will start complaining if we try to push it with the walking.

52 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

Thanks for this. Is there a lot of walking? My son has Down Syndrome and will start complaining if we try to push it with the walking.

Stone Island requires walking about 5-6 blocks from dock and taking water taxi, this one has docks at both ends, then a little more walking on the beach to whichever restaurant you decide.  

The water taxi to Stone Island goes across the channel the cruise ships use. There will sometimes be a pickup truck at the dock to offer rides to those who need transportation up the beach. The water is shallow with very little surge or wave action, so is ideal for small children. Several bars and restaurants line the beach, and you can rent ATV's or horses if you want. Stone Island has no fancy hotels or shops, but some street peddlers will be there. 

You can kind of orient yourself with this map view Stone Island

Mama, I normally walk from the cruise Passenger Terminal to the Ferry Dock, but with my walking impaired brother, I took a taxi (golf cart) for about $10.  

The walk on Stone Island from the dock to the beach is a bit rough.  That might be too much for your son.  I rarely see the transport (a cart being hauled by a tractor) on Stone Island.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

they used to do Acapulco on 10 day Mexican cruises.  We were there many times. it's too bad what has happened there.  (Carnival used to do an 8 day from San Diego, it was Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo -- we did that several times also)

We spent a week in Acapulco just prior to covid.   It was fine.  So much so that we extended our stay.   Lots of changes over the past few years.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, cruisin'mama said:

We just got back from an Oct 16th cruise and I was very impressed with the Covid protocols in Mexico. In Puerto Vallarta , masks were the norm in stores and on the bus. They take your temperature going into Walmart. We did Stone island on our own as usual in Mazatlan but felt safe as everything was outdoors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, cruisin'mama said:

Take a taxi.  It's $5 US -- they don't give change so make sure you have a $5 and clearly negotiate the price beforehand (the charge is seemingly high because the driver will have to get back in a long line at the port).  The walk is just under half a mile BUT there's no shade.  Unless you're really watching your pennies, it was completely worth it to us.  We walked there, but took a taxi back (and stupidly the smallest bill we had left was a $10).

• Like 1