Celebrity- Galapagos

pavementends

OK I get that they are just now starting things up again (today = May 12) but I had a very unsatisfactory phone call yielding almost no information- except that whatever trips were posted were going to change.

Has anybody make a NEW booking? Is there a more satisfactory source of information?

I was interested in a trip in July/ August but it looks like things are very disorganized so maybe I should just abandon the idea.

Edited by pavementends
can't spell

• pavementends changed the title to Celebrity- Galapagos

Having done the Galapagos with =X= and enjoyed it, I would make sure that I investigate all the options before committing to something.  There are lots of less expensive (and also more expensive) ways to experience the Galapagos. The whole =X= suite-centric approach now (on a ship where you spend precious little time) leaves me cold.

We booked the Xpedition today.  Of course, it's for late 2023, so should go according to normal.  I think for July, they're just staying near the airport.  Arrive one night, go to Baltra the next day.  I think that will get more normal later. 

I think you can book regular trips on Flora/Xpedition for August, but Xploration's not starting until late September.

Good luck.

I guess this makes sense as an emergency maneuver – but since Celebrity controls the charter flight, if you can't tour Quito why not just have people fly direct to Guayaquil and fly to Baltra from there?  Stay at sea level and avoid the altitude sickness [which we did experience in Quito]?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pavementends said:

OK I get that they are just now starting things up again (today = May 12) but I had a very unsatisfactory phone call yielding almost no information- except that whatever trips were posted were going to change.

Has anybody make a NEW booking? Is there a more satisfactory source of information?

I was interested in a trip in July/ August but it looks like things are very disorganized so maybe I should just abandon the idea.

We have been booked on the July 4 cruise since we were cancelled in August 2020. It's been a week and you would think they would have all the air figured out for us, but no. I could do the air arrangements in my sleep but they really are having a hard time. We are still going. Quito was not that big a thing for us. We will just be thrilled being on a ship again. I just hate being up in the air:classic_biggrin:...about our air...and schedule. 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I guess this makes sense as an emergency maneuver – but since Celebrity controls the charter flight, if you can't tour Quito why not just have people fly direct to Guayaquil and fly to Baltra from there?  Stay at sea level and avoid the altitude sickness [which we did experience in Quito]?

There aren't that many direct flights from anyplace other than Quito into Guayaquil. That's probably the reason. Since most people on the cruise have X air (when we booked it was included) they don't want to pay extra to get us to a smaller airport. 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How high up is it?

49 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

There aren't that many direct flights from anyplace other than Quito into Guayaquil. That's probably the reason. Since most people on the cruise have X air (when we booked it was included) they don't want to pay extra to get us to a smaller airport. 

ITA Matrix shows lots of flights from FLL & MIA for East Coast and Midwest folks, and Panama City for West Coasters

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

ITA Matrix shows lots of flights from FLL & MIA for East Coast and Midwest folks, and Panama City for West Coasters

Indeed, there ARE nonstops (vs. direct one stops) from Miami.

Just to follow up- is the plane Guayaquil-Baltras a Celebrity charter? Or are there other passengers that might not be subject to all the Covid tests?

I am somewhat comforted that there are others thinking about this tour.

Edited by pavementends
editing!

16 minutes ago, pavementends said:

Indeed, there ARE nonstops (vs. direct one stops) from Miami.

Just to follow up- is the plane Guayaquil-Baltras a Celebrity charter? Or are there other passengers that might not be subject to all the Covid tests?

I am somewhat comforted that there are others thinking about this tour.

The Celebrity charter was (pre-Covid) from Quito non-stop to Baltra.  That was much better than the scheduled flights, which all stop in Guayaquil on the way from Quito to Baltra.  Also having only Celebrity passengers on the flight meant no real weighing of luggage or carry-ons.  But my point was that since Celebritiy controls the charter, they could relocate it to Guayaquil if they wanted to use a hotel there for the pre- and post-cruise stays.