Covid test before returning to UK

kevboy

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

This may be the case but what about the next variant that may come along?

As far as I know there has been no statement to say the vaccine will work against future variants.

How can anybody make a statement about something that hasn't happened. So far the vaccines have shown to work against all variants to some degree, who knows whether a new mutation will occur that will beat the vaccines and become the dominant variant, unlikely but not impossible. It will have to be dealt with if it happens.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But we can't constantly live in a state of fear because of a yet unknown threat. 

Try, it is a balancing act. But it does seem stupid to put your hand into a fire so to speak. If there is a country with a very high number of cases there is a good chance of a variant being there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

How can anybody make a statement about something that hasn't happened. So far the vaccines have shown to work against all variants to some degree, who knows whether a new mutation will occur that will beat the vaccines and become the dominant variant, unlikely but not impossible. It will have to be dealt with if it happens.

And that is my point, no one can say what will happen in the future so it pays to be cautious. I don't mean hide away but stop people coming if from countries with a higher number of cases than us so we can open up here in the UK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

And that is my point, no one can say what will happen in the future so it pays to be cautious. I don't mean hide away but stop people coming if from countries with a higher number of cases than us so we can open up here in the UK

I get your point, I really do. Unfortunately ,looking at the current worldwide numbers,a great many countries have a higher infection rate than us.

I'm fully vaccinated, and therefore, according to the experts, unlikely to become ill with CV19, or be likely to pass it on. Why, therefore cannot I not travel/holiday to countries such as Spain or France, and also why should I have to quarantine on my return?

There appears to be a lot of hyperbole from the government,  but little in the way of rational argument. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Did he?

I've seen  clips from ITV and Sky and he was clear that amber countries were not for holidays 

From sky news.

He said: "We've moved away from a situation where everything is 'it's banned, it's illegal', I know we've got very used to this in the last year…

"We're moving away from that and asking people to apply a bit of common sense."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm fully vaccinated, and therefore, according to the experts, unlikely to become ill with CV19, or be likely to pass it on. Why, therefore cannot I not travel/holiday to countries such as Spain or France, and also why should I have to quarantine on my return?

There appears to be a lot of hyperbole from the government,  but little in the way of rational argument. 

I kind of feel that they are recognising that. Since yesterday the language seems to be changing from Don't ,to use a bit of common sense. The next few days could be interesting.🤔

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

From sky news.

He said: "We've moved away from a situation where everything is 'it's banned, it's illegal', I know we've got very used to this in the last year…

"We're moving away from that and asking people to apply a bit of common sense."

That's the clip I've seen. Literally seconds after he said that he confirmed that red and amber are not for holidays 

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The comment by BJ yesterday was we’re moving away for legislation to guidance.

But guidance, coupled with the draconian restraints, such as having to quarantine for 10 days if you return from an amber country, even if you are fully vaccinated. Just why?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The comment by BJ yesterday was we’re moving away for legislation to guidance.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but he needs to get all his underlings singing the same tune. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

But guidance, coupled with the draconian restraints, such as having to quarantine for 10 days if you return from an amber country, even if you are fully vaccinated. Just why?

I'm sure it will all change, but what I don't get is if I am vaccinated and can't catch it and go to a green country, I need a test when I get back. Nuncompoopery🤣

• Like 2

Study from India on fully vaccinated  health workers , Astra Zenica gives  97% protection against infection,  99.4% against hospitalization.  NB health workers will be mainly under 60 and so doesn't apply to very frail elderly 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I'm sure it will all change, but what I don't get is if I am vaccinated and can't catch it and go to a green country, I need a test when I get back. Nuncompoopery🤣

No one should need a test from a green country, or country shouldnt be green.

However should we make young are not going to get ill yet who have had restrictions on them to protect us oldies , have more restrictions than us oldies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you are vaccinated you can still catch covid, many have globally. The chances of catching it are greatly reduced. 

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

If you are vaccinated you can still catch covid, many have globally. The chances of catching it are greatly reduced. 

JVT said if you are vaccinated and catch it , all you will get is a snotty nose. I think he said that🤣

I just read on the BBC that the AZ real world data for the over 65's, published by PHE is coming in at over 90% reduction in cases.  Very similar to the Pfizer efficacy.

For the people do dive in and dissect:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/988193/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_20.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I just read on the BBC that the AZ real world data for the over 65's, published by PHE is coming in at over 90% reduction in cases.  Very similar to the Pfizer efficacy.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/988193/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_20.pdf

When you go back a year or so these kind of results would be pie in the sky. We should be so thankful to so many clever and dedicated folk. However if you come back from your holiday to the Falkland Islands, you still need to have a test, or 2, or 3.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

But if you need a test coming back from a green country, shouldn't anyone visiting Bolton or Leicester  also be tested?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Can I  say it again , Every bit of real world data , shows that all vaccines work  well against all variants so far thrown at them.

Astra Zenica is shown to be as good as any and better than some.

In lab antibody test which are only looking at half the defences , it seem to be less effective, but in total effectiveness in real world data, it comes out as good as everything else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, but as Phil said, if you cancel your holiday to an amber country, the holiday company will not refund you, because travel is not actually banned.

Let's face it, the entire situation is a total mess, with government ministers contradicting themselves from day  to day.

That's where the issue is. Some.people have to go to an amber country as they cant get a refund or move it and insurance wont pay out wither. So a rock and a hard place for people. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

JVT said if you are vaccinated and catch it , all you will get is a snotty nose. I think he said that🤣

But he didn't say you couldn't catch it. People that have been vaccinated have died, they may have been frail or had underlying health issues. Plus you could catch it not be ill and still transmit it to someone more susceptible, the vaccine has shown to reduce transmission no evidence that it will stop it. If people think they are bullet proof because they have been vaccinated they may think they don't need to take care which would be the wrong message.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But if you need a test coming back from a green country, shouldn't anyone visiting Bolton or Leicester  also be tested?

Life is full of risks, about a year ago you mentioned the M27. I know that it was tongue in cheek, but I'm always a bit more careful on my way to Dorset. Thanks for that tip🤣