Covid test before returning to UK

kevboy

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is not quite what I have read, you can still catch and transmit the virus although at a reduced level (both suffering from the virus and spreading the virus) but not "highly unlikely".

You can still catch and transmit covid after vaccination, there are lots of cases across the globe. There is some concern about the New York Yankees several players and staff who have been vaccinated have covid. They have had the Johnson 1 jab vaccine, I can't find anything that says how long after they had the jabs they got covid as that is an important factor. Seemingly they have not been as ill as expected which would suggest the vaccine has had a desired effect, this is going to be the case for all the jabs I think. Semantics apart I would say that "highly unlikely" is a fair comment at the moment, we will get a better idea over the coming months once people start mixing more freely.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

You can still catch and transmit covid after vaccination, there are lots of cases across the globe. There is some concern about the New York Yankees several players and staff who have been vaccinated have covid. They have had the Johnson 1 jab vaccine, I can't find anything that says how long after they had the jabs they got covid as that is an important factor. Seemingly they have not been as ill as expected which would suggest the vaccine has had a desired effect, this is going to be the case for all the jabs I think. Semantics apart I would say that "highly unlikely" is a fair comment at the moment, we will get a better idea over the coming months once people start mixing more freely.

We will have to agree to disagree when it comes to saying “highly unlikely” is a fair comment as you seem to contradict yourself with the details you have given.😉

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

In my opinion that is the correct attitude, no one has a crystal ball so the powers that be have to react to the current situation and it that means a so call U turn then so be it. 

To me a stronger leader is one who admits an error and adjust accordingly. This is not political it is a fact in any walk of life be it in the Scouts, industry or the country's leader. 

If you read my post it was neither political, nor critical of Boris's actions in this instance.  I had said it was a bit worrying that had been done, which I still maintain, as that obviously implies that the situation is something of very real concern.  It would take something fairly conclusive, for that  "U turn", as you describe it to take place in such a short time.  The numbers do indeed seem to be increasing very quickly.

I, and I thought also other people, were begining to feel the situation was moving forward, but I for one do feel this is a very real indication that those steps forward could easily be reversed.  The Welsh First Minister is not sounding too optimistic according to this morning's news either, though possibly not a response to the Indian variant as he has always been stricter with Wales.

• Like 5

I’ve flagged up my concerns before about variants, so the current situation is not a surprise to me.

I think Boris Johnson put himself in a bit of a hole when he said in the Daily Briefing the the road out of lockdown would be ‘irreversible’. 

We have a situation where we have a new variant starting to spread in the community,  with a big easing of lockdown measures. What could possibly go wrong?

I will be very surprised if the planned further easing of lockdown on 21st June happens exactly as planned. I think Johnson needs to do some serious expectation management, as there are people who are convinced it’s all over on 21st June 🤷‍♀️

• Like 11

1 hour ago, tring said:

If you read my post it was neither political, nor critical of Boris's actions in this instance.  I had said it was a bit worrying that had been done, which I still maintain, as that obviously implies that the situation is something of very real concern.  It would take something fairly conclusive, for that  "U turn", as you describe it to take place in such a short time.  The numbers do indeed seem to be increasing very quickly.

I, and I thought also other people, were begining to feel the situation was moving forward, but I for one do feel this is a very real indication that those steps forward could easily be reversed.  The Welsh First Minister is not sounding too optimistic according to this morning's news either, though possibly not a response to the Indian variant as he has always been stricter with Wales.

Yes, we are being asked here in Wales not to travel abroad in 2021. I had no intention of doing so anyway!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Yes, we are being asked here in Wales not to travel abroad in 2021. I had no intention of doing so anyway!

Does his definition of abroad include England.🤔

3 hours ago, tring said:

I believe I read your post with the wrong tone in my mind for which I apologise.

I do agree with your points.

I guess I was just airing my frustration that people ( in general and no one on this forum) seem to think that a change of mind is both weak and incorrect.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Well I’m not in a rush to go there either! But hoping to go up to Scotland in September. We’ll see!

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve flagged up my concerns before about variants, so the current situation is not a surprise to me.

I think Boris Johnson put himself in a bit of a hole when he said in the Daily Briefing the the road out of lockdown would be ‘irreversible’. 

We have a situation where we have a new variant starting to spread in the community,  with a big easing of lockdown measures. What could possibly go wrong?

I will be very surprised if the planned further easing of lockdown on 21st June happens exactly as planned. I think Johnson needs to do some serious expectation management, as there are people who are convinced it’s all over on 21st June 🤷‍♀️

We will know by then if hospitalization increases in Hot spots , e.g. Bolton.

If cases increase but people don't end up in hospital then no need to slow down.

If hospitalization increase then need to act.

Should be obvious 

• Like 3

On 5/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, Windsurfboy said:

From green countries you need only a lateral flow test 24hrs before arrive in UK,  easy could do it yourself.  However p&O will have to oversee it so itcan be proved it's yours. More administratively difficult than technicallydifficult 

For the cruises round the U.K. with no port calls outside of U.K. this may apply

Travel within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

You do not need to take a COVID-19 test or quarantine on arrival in England if you are travelling within the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, (the Common Travel Area), and you have not been outside of the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days

On 5/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, Windsurfboy said:

From green countries you need only a lateral flow test 24hrs before arrive in UK,  easy could do it yourself.  However p&O will have to oversee it so itcan be proved it's yours. More administratively difficult than technicallydifficult 

It doesn’t appear self administered tests will be allowed as proof, NHS tests can’t be used for this purpose.

NHS tests cannot be used for the purpose of pre-departure testing.

You cannot take an NHS test abroad with you to use on yourself before you return.

How to provide proof of a negative test result

Your test result can be provided as:

• a printed document
  • an email or text message you can show on your phone - make sure your device is charged
Edited by Snow Hill

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

It doesn’t appear self administered tests will be allowed as proof, NHS tests can’t be used for this purpose.

NHS tests cannot be used for the purpose of pre-departure testing.

You cannot take an NHS test abroad with you to use on yourself before you return.

How to provide proof of a negative test result

Your test result can be provided as:

• a printed document
  • an email or text message you can show on your phone - make sure your device is charged

If you read my post

Firstly I only said lateral flow tests , never mentioned free NHS tests.

Secondly I said P&O will have to oversee it, thus they will not be classed as self administered if a trained person is overseeing the test and then provides proof of outcome, even if you put the swab in your nose and mouth yourself as is standard practice 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Although he said the road out of lockdown would be irreversible, he did say at the beginning that they make decision about the next date about a week beforehand, so if we are not ready to lose all restrictions on 21st June, then it will be delayed.  That's how I read it.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

We will know by then if hospitalization increases in Hot spots , e.g. Bolton.

If cases increase but people don't end up in hospital then no need to slow down.

If hospitalization increase then need to act.

Should be obvious 

A very sensible post, our current vaccination status should help to ensure that at least the most at risk categories should have significant protection against serious infections and hospitalization or death.  Which was basically what Chris Whitty was saying yesterday  even if he did err on the cautious side about waiting for sufficient data.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, Ardennais said:

We have been told the same here in Scotland, it is a request, not legally enforceable so some people will probably still go (and things might ease off towards the end of 2021 but it depends on how things go with the virus). At present we still don’t have a system for proving vaccination, me thinks it’s a ploy, yet another way of making it difficult for people to travel, then add in an expensive testing regime when they return. It would perhaps not be a bad thing to stop the import of variants except it also makes it difficult to provide proof for U.K. cruising, U.K. tours etc.

Our FM has just extended the level 3 lockdown for 2 areas with between 50 and 99 cases per 100k. The rest of the country is moving to level 2/1on Monday so the first time we can meet people indoors since last September (except Christmas day).

We are supposed to go to level 1 on the mainland in June but only if under 20 cases per 100k which is really difficult for cities and larger towns, rural areas have been below this for months now and are still locked down.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A very sensible post, our current vaccination status should help to ensure that at least the most at risk categories should have significant protection against serious infections and hospitalization or death.  Which was basically what Chris Whitty was saying yesterday  even if he did err on the cautious side about waiting for sufficient data.

There are apparently 6 cases of people who have had a first vaccination being hospitalised with the new variant in Glasgow in the last few days, which is a little concerning. None so far reported as in ICU  so the vaccine appears to be offering some protection.

I think the experts will be keeping a careful eye on all the areas where the new variant is prominent before making any further changes which is prudent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you read my post

Firstly I only said lateral flow tests , never mentioned free NHS tests.

Secondly I said P&O will have to oversee it, thus they will not be classed as self administered if a trained person is overseeing the test and then provides proof of outcome, even if you put the swab in your nose and mouth yourself as is standard practice 

Do P&O have enough adequately trained staff to oversee tests on  1500 passengers 48 - 24 hours before ship docks which I believe is the number on the Britannia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We have been told the same here in Scotland, it is a request, not legally enforceable so some people will probably still go (and things might ease off towards the end of 2021 but it depends on how things go with the virus). At present we still don’t have a system for proving vaccination, me thinks it’s a ploy, yet another way of making it difficult for people to travel, then add in an expensive testing regime when they return. It would perhaps not be a bad thing to stop the import of variants except it also makes it difficult to provide proof for U.K. cruising, U.K. tours etc.

Our FM has just extended the level 3 lockdown for 2 areas with between 50 and 99 cases per 100k. The rest of the country is moving to level 2/1on Monday so the first time we can meet people indoors since last September (except Christmas day).

We are supposed to go to level 1 on the mainland in June but only if under 20 cases per 100k which is really difficult for cities and larger towns, rural areas have been below this for months now and are still locked down.

I'm booked on a coach trip for the Edinburgh Tattoo, so I'll be paying attention to the situation in Scotland  especially as Nicola Sturgeon hasn't backed herself into the corner of 'irreversible easing'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Do P&O have enough adequately trained staff to oversee tests on  1500 passengers 48 - 24 hours before ship docks which I believe is the number on the Britannia. 

At 6 minutes a test , 5 mins to do it, 1 min to check blue line 20 mins later,  one person could oversee 80 tests a day , so need 20  (or 40 if it takes 2 members of staff ) trained people,  plus space plus a decent IT system  to read bar codes on each test , scan people in using your ship identity card and to automatically print certificates.  Should be doable.  Will need to get practicing now

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think a lot depends on the the uptake of the vaccine in those areas....we are assuming that there is a high level of uptake which from my own experience after spending 3 weeks helping out with the testing in bradford, is not correct. I tested very few south asian people due to trust and vaccine/testing hesitancy. Fingers crossed they now understand the importance of the vaccine and testing.

Or it will spread we could all be buggered........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I think a lot depends on the the uptake of the vaccine in those areas....we are assuming that there is a high level of uptake which from my own experience after spending 3 weeks helping out with the testing in bradford, is not correct. I tested very few south asian people due to trust and vaccine/testing hesitancy. Fingers crossed they now understand the importance of the vaccine and testing.

Agreed but if the spread is mainly among the younger age groups then it should not pose the same threat to the NHS.

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

If the vaccinated remain immune,  then it can't spread that far and fast.  I hope that the young remain very unlikely to become ill

• Like 2

I think that it may be worth adding that it has now been reported that a patient who had received both jabs was subsequently hospitalised with the Indian variant of Covid-19, with five others having received one, instead of the two, jabs.  The surge testing has not prevented a local infection rate of more than 250 per 100,000.

In most/all the official messaging put out, it has been clear that the vaccinations offer a high, but not absolute, degree of protection against contracting the virus.

Clearly, there is a need to establish if, with a likely higher transmission rate, the Indian variant is capable of infecting and causing to be hospitalised significant numbers of people who have been fully vaccinated.  Also, if the trajectory of this variant is the same as the Kent one, where it is considered to have started with younger people before infecting older and more vulnerable people to the same degree.

Like everyone else, I very much hope that this is not the case, but I have started to reflect on this morning, for the first time in a couple of months to be honest, if the staycation cruise we have booked will go ahead. 

My mind comes back to the point that a cruise is ultimately a large gathering of people in an indoor environment for a long period of time.  We also know that the demographic of the cruises (including P&O) attracts families, but also older and more frail people.  I'm not sure that its out of the question that the "step forward" to staycation cruising could be held back a bit, alongside other components like hotel conferences and entertainment venues etc.

Will be happy to be proven wrong on this!

• Like 1

I think the key phrase from M Hancock about the person who ended up in hospital even after two jabs was they were frail. What would be a very mild disease for some can be the tipping point for someone frail. This is the same a flu and even a cold. I think it is something we will have to live with , but people who have frail relatives must be cautious .Multi generation  households have their benefits and draw backs.

I don't want to sound cynical, but if you're frail perhaps it's best not to go on a cruise. 

• Like 2