60% off second guest

Feels like this is the only offer I've seen in recent months.  Do we expect this is going to continue or are we ever going to get a 25 or 30% all guests again?  I'm assuming they're doing this knowing there are a lot of people sitting on FCCs, but if I end up having to go out of pocket for more money to book a cruise because my FCC won't cover my fare, but leave unused credit for my wife because the 60% off means her fare is less than her FCC, I'm just going to cancel and get my money back.

10 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Feels like this is the only offer I've seen in recent months.  Do we expect this is going to continue or are we ever going to get a 25 or 30% all guests again?  I'm assuming they're doing this knowing there are a lot of people sitting on FCCs, but if I end up having to go out of pocket for more money to book a cruise because my FCC won't cover my fare, but leave unused credit for my wife because the 60% off means her fare is less than her FCC, I'm just going to cancel and get my money back.

Usually it's the same 30% off first two pax or 60% off 2nd, even for me as a solo. 

If fccs are the issue rcl will usually work with you to make them fit. Have you called and asked them to apply them more evenly? My ta will do it. Shouldn't be such a big issue for you.

Beyond "kids sail free" I don't think there's that much difference between one sail 😉 and another.  Holidays perhaps are a bit more generous, but, I often see the final price is close to the same regardless of what the sale is.

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Usually it's the same 30% off first two pax or 60% off 2nd, even for me as a solo. 

If fccs are the issue rcl will usually work with you to make them fit. Have you called and asked them to apply them more evenly? My ta will do it. Shouldn't be such a big issue for you.

Last time I spoke to RCL, they weren't willing to work with me - I have two $500 FCCs and the cruise I was looking at was going to be $650 for me and $260 for my wife (60% off) so it was actually $90 less than my two FCCs would cover, but they were insistent that I was going to have to pay an extra $150 for myself and leave $240 of my wife's FCC unused, which I'm not going to do.

42 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

FCC' can now be shared and stacked so this is no longer an issue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Evilgrin72 said:

Last time I spoke to RCL, they weren't willing to work with me - I have two $500 FCCs and the cruise I was looking at was going to be $650 for me and $260 for my wife (60% off) so it was actually $90 less than my two FCCs would cover, but they were insistent that I was going to have to pay an extra $150 for myself and leave $240 of my wife's FCC unused, which I'm not going to do.

Idk when the last time you talked to them was, but call back and talk to someone else. There have been many posts on here I've read where it was allowed. Some agents might be lazy and say no, but the next will take it on. 

17 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Beyond "kids sail free" I don't think there's that much difference between one sail 😉 and another.  Holidays perhaps are a bit more generous, but, I often see the final price is close to the same regardless of what the sale is.

That's just it.  The final price may be the same, but they wouldn't let me apply my FCCs equally - hers is hers and mine is mine, despite that fact that I paid for the whole thing on my credit card.  I'm of the mind that the FCCs should be allowed to be applied as I see fit, but they wouldn't allow it.  Maybe I just need to call again and talk to someone else.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Idk when the last time you talked to them was, but call back and talk to someone else. There have been many posts on here I've read where it was allowed. Some agents might be lazy and say no, but the next will take it on. 

I'll do that for sure, thanks for the advice !

2 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

They changed this about 3 months ago.  They can be shared.  They just cannot cover the taxes...those still have to be paid with new money

• Like 1

It seems to me that whenever I book a cruise with offers like a percentage off the 2nd guest, I always find that the end grand total rate is either the same or more than the rate I paid for a previous cruise the year before, same ship, itinerary,  sailing date, category, with no special sale.  Just my perception. 

Edited by BonTexasNY

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Your perception is not wrong.  Royal has been running the same basic sale for at least the last 4 years.  either 60% off second guest or 30% off first 2 guests.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm relieved it isn't just me. Must be a marketing ploy.

• Like 1

I'm a solo cruiser now, and I'm finding the pricing more favorable than I expected.  I enter the promo code for D+ over 340 points, which should give me a 150% solo rate.  However they apply the 2nd guest 60% promo to it and it saves me even more. 

The cruises I have booked now are averaging $132 / night after my rebates and savings kick in after the cruise.  My TA gives me cash back annually, and a store cash card after I get back from each cruise.  

I know price drops can be hit or miss, especially with the pricing the way it is all the time,  but we are booked for Explorer out of San Juan at the end of March, and just saved over $500 on our standard balcony with this "new" promo.  Normally, I may save a bit, but this time it was huge.  And my sister and brother-in-law, who do not have any type of balcony discounts like we do, also saved over $600!  I was not expecting that since it is in the middle of busy travel season although I know spring break is not as big of a deal out of SJ.

So, now for a week, in a 2 D balcony, we are paying less than $1500 for both of us including gratuities.  None of the other cruises I have booked moved at all, but I will take what I can get!