What Does This Mean - Adventure from Nassau?

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We get it. You don't want to see cruises out of the Bahamas. That doesn't mean they are going to be canceled, as much as you want them to be.

I don't care one way or other, just being realistic 

No idea where you get I want them cancelled😉

I do think it's funny you think the future Nassau port will be a great departure point.

At best, just another Falmouth

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't care one way or other, just being realistic 

No idea where you get I want them cancelled😉

I do think it's funny you think the future Nassau port will be a great departure point.

At best, just another Falmouth

Info on Nassau Port: 

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/nassau-cruise-port-preparing-for-first-homeport-ships.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic_social&utm_campaign=f186ba52-6be0-4ad7-bb81-e176b4dd9c24&fbclid=IwAR3qXc3FDcZS-hpw9dsRAJS6hZJocKSWc9Q1IX_3XKEXOwHaIANphjOOO4I

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, NightOne said:

"astronomical expense"? It may be cheaper for them to sail out of Nassau than say Miami ... I don't know ... but I wouldn't agree with that assumption

I doubt it very seriously. Point being, I find it hard to believe Nassau can supply these mega ships with the food, supplies etc. etc. compared to what takes place in Florida. Definitely some extraordinary  logistic expense to try and make it happen. In light of recent changes, I do not look for too many future sailings out of Nassau. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Nassau makes it sound like there is some major advantage to home porting there as they are a nation of islands to visit. Nassau is an overnight sail from Florida. I don't see any advantage to sailing out of Nassau as opposed to Florida. If the ships wanted to visit various islands in the Bahamas they could easily do it from Fl. I see Nassau as a stop on the way to the Caribbean.

I also found the part about selling genuine Bahamian souvenirs humerous. Are they saying that the stuff in the big flea market is not quite so " genuine"?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I doubt it very seriously. Point being, I find it hard to believe Nassau can supply these mega ships with the food, supplies etc. etc. compared to what takes place in Florida. Definitely some extraordinary  logistic expense to try and make it happen. In light of recent changes, I do not look for too many future sailings out of Nassau. 

Can you imagine 18 wheelers driving down Front Street to deliver supplies🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think Nassau officials are crazy to make this type of investment thinking this is going to be the new epicenter of cruising even after the Florida ports reopen.

Someone convinced a bank that Cape Canaveral needed 5 new hotels in the last two years. And the best hotel in Cocoa Beach is still damaged from Hurricane Mathew 4 years ago

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I also found the part about selling genuine Bahamian souvenirs humerous. Are they saying that the stuff in the big flea market is not quite so " genuine"?

Made in the islands of Chinahama.

Edited by Arzeena

Smoke and mirrors....long time cruisers are aware of the Nassau welcoming cruise port building you walked through prior to getting outside the main gate...it was in a dilapidated state for several years...they then refurbed it....I would say it took about 2-3 years and it was once again became dilapidated....lol...so much so they routed you away from the building and into a mini outside flea market. So now once again they are going to refurb this structure and turn it into some kind of mega embarkation point....yeah right...funny how they tout they handled all these mega ships prior to Covid...ok...semi true... slight technicality... because you certainly didn't do it as an embarkation point with total replenishment of the vessels. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

And supply chain issues that'll exist this summer won't be an issue next year.

Because…. Somehow Nassau will be able to competitively grow and manufacture all the provisions for multiple ships????  And raise and slaughter USDA beef and poultry so the ships call in the US someday in the future?  Refine fuel??? Accept tons of refuse? 

Everything that goes on the ship from food to drinks to toilet paper to merchandise needs to be shipped in, stored, and delivered,,, unless they are doing that in a Cozumel. Similarly all of the non-combustible and non-dumpable waste needs to be off loaded and shipped back to the US. 

22 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC is sinking a lot of money into the Bahamas.  This time next year Nassau will have one of the nicest cruise terminals that RC homeports at. And supply chain issues that'll exist this summer won't be an issue next year.

Bermuda was desperation.

That is true.... because the ships will be homeporting in Florida.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Resupply of the ships is being done in Freeport. Nassau is purely a passenger embarkation/debarkation point. Most if not all supplies will be brought into Freeport and delivered to the ships while they are docked there. That was even the plan with Vision of the Seas, sailing from Bermuda, though it was to be just a technical stop, overnight, with no passengers allowed off the ship.

The infrastructure being built in Nassau is primarily for use in port visits, but is being adapted a bit so that the necessary areas can be used for embarkation/debarkation purposes (think luggage security scanning). Also keep in mind, this is NOT a US port, and may offer a considerably easier time moving from ship to shore whereas US Customs has more stringent protocols, thus there may not even be a need for significant areas to handle passenger embarkation/debarkation near the pier. All you really need is a check-in process someplace where you can deliver the credentials a passenger needs to board the ship as if it were in port, and to accept luggage for transfer to the ship and delivery to your cabin. That actual check-in process doesn't need to be adjacent to the pier.

So "investing" in becoming a home port is really not necessarily that much of a monetary investment; they're already investing in increasing the capacity of the port/pier and the facilities to process passengers onto the mainland and back.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Resupply of the ships is being done in Freeport. Nassau is purely a passenger embarkation/debarkation point. Most if not all supplies will be brought into Freeport and delivered to the ships while they are docked there. That was even the plan with Vision of the Seas, sailing from Bermuda, though it was to be just a technical stop, overnight, with no passengers allowed off the ship.

So,,, is provisioning in Freeport materially different than Nassau? Bottom line is that everything still has to be shipped in, stored, and delivered to the ship. Many more touches and much more expensive than provisioning in Miami. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dswallow said:

Have you been to Freeport? The island was leveled from a recent Hurricane. I am not sure how resupplying mega ships on a weekly basis is somehow a different discussion versus Nassau. 

31 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Have you been to Freeport? The island was leveled from a recent Hurricane. I am not sure how resupplying mega ships on a weekly basis is somehow a different discussion versus Nassau. 

I guess you've never seen warehouses.

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because…. Somehow Nassau will be able to competitively grow and manufacture all the provisions for multiple ships????  And raise and slaughter USDA beef and poultry so the ships call in the US someday in the future?  Refine fuel??? Accept tons of refuse? 

Everything that goes on the ship from food to drinks to toilet paper to merchandise needs to be shipped in, stored, and delivered,,, unless they are doing that in a Cozumel. Similarly all of the non-combustible and non-dumpable waste needs to be off loaded and shipped back to the US. 

Cozumel is an island as well. As is St Maarten and Barbados.

But hey, San Juan is as well. Just a little bit bigger

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

I guess you've never seen warehouses.

Yes I have seen a few...mostly the few which used to exist in Freeport prior to the class 5 hurricane decimation of the island. Think what you want, this whole idea of Nassau/Freeport was a band-aid, stopgap. Now you want to talk long term...well we can go back to the grand idea of cable beach Bahamar project....what that take 10 years/strikes/bankruptcy and still is not completed?