Early March Spring Break Cruise on the West Coast - Weather?

MississippiMom

Planning a Spring Break 2022 family vacation, since the college aged children somehow have matching March holiday dates.  We have NEVER cruised on the West Coast.  Is it warm enough to enjoy the beaches?  Is it rainy season in early March?

We are from the Southeast with the New Orleans and Mobile ports within very reasonable driving distance, but we were hoping to fly to a port and try something completely new to us.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Planning a Spring Break 2022 family vacation, since the college aged children somehow have matching March holiday dates.  We have NEVER cruised on the West Coast.  Is it warm enough to enjoy the beaches?  Is it rainy season in early March?

We are from the Southeast with the New Orleans and Mobile ports within very reasonable driving distance, but we were hoping to fly to a port and try something completely new to us.

It is usually nice during the day (like nice enough for the beach, but not super warm) and cool at night.  It can rain, but by early March that wouldn't be normal.  I would also highly encourage this cruise at this time of year for another reason.  This is prime whale watching season along the Baja Mexican coast.  Any itinerary that goes to Cabo San Lucas would have some great whale watching chances (and any of the other Mexican Riviera ports would also have that as well).  And early March is a time when they are all still there before they migrate north.  Hope you take the West Coast plunge! 

• Thanks 1

What I love about the Mexican Riviera cruises is that I get to drive to Los Angeles and I don't have to fly at all.  Whereas you want to fly!  To each his/her own!! 

March should be perfect weather.  Not yet as humid as the summer; warm and pleasant.  Good beach weather, good weather for walking around for shopping.  And as Jas said, good whale watching, if you get there early enough!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

What I love about the Mexican Riviera cruises is that I get to drive to Los Angeles and I don't have to fly at all.  Whereas you want to fly!  To each his/her own!! 

We, typically, drive to our cruise port to save on the airfare (family of 5).  However, the unexpected lock down in 2020 REALLY left us wanting to go to places we have never had the opportunity to see.  We have already been to all of the cruise ports that the nearby ships visit, so . . . West Coast seems promising.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, MississippiMom said:

We, typically, drive to our cruise port to save on the airfare (family of 5).  However, the unexpected lock down in 2020 REALLY left us wanting to go to places we have never had the opportunity to see.  We have already been to all of the cruise ports that the nearby ships visit, so . . . West Coast seems promising.

I LOVE the Mexican Riviera and have done many cruises there.  We're actually flying down to Puerto Vallarta to vacation for a week the end of June.  Anyhow, please be aware that the beaches are not like the ones you find in the Caribbean.  They are beautiful, but not the super white sand with turquoise water you may be used to.  Not trying to be a downer, just wanting to give you a heads up.  Enjoy!

Our last vacation before Covid was the second week of March 2020 - Mex Riv. cruise on Holland America.  We love this itinerary and the scenery along the coast.  We did see whales, while coffeeing in our robes on our balcony a couple mornings.  There are some nice sandy beaches, but it's true they aren't like the Caribbean side.  We suggest doing a tour of Las Labradas Petroglyph site when in Mazatlan.  Here's more info from UNESCO: UNESCO Las Labradas Sinalao  We had a good time and learned a lot when we took a private tour (just the 2 of us) with Mazatlantours.org.  They picked us up right at the cruise dock and brought us back in time with no problem.  If you can get a small group of friends together it's cheaper of course.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, MississippiMom said:

It will be warm enough in port to enjoy the beaches. Stone Island in Mazatlán is really nice. You may need jackets on the ship the first and last days. The Pacific is not warm off the California coast.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just prior to covid we spent 5 weeks on the Mexican Pacific Coast.  From Huatlulco in the south to PV in the north before covid shortened our trip further up the coast to Mazatlan.  Independent travel with one five day stay at an AI. 

We love the ocean and were in it most days.   Water was perfect all the way north to Bucerias.  We found Hualtulco a little humid for our tastes and were happy to move on to Puerto Escondido, then Acapulco and Zi.  We were on the beach and in the ocean on the day prior to leaving PV in the latter part of March.  The weather was very warm, the water was perfect.

We have spent a fair amount of time in the Cancun area including Merida, Puerto Morelos, Playa.  All good but we have a strong preference for the Pacific Coast.

Edited by iancal

• 3 months later...

Leave from a port as far south as possible.  Don't sail from San Francisco in March as it could be very cold the first and last few days.  I would do San Diego if it works for you.  Besides the cruise it's a great city with lots to do pre/post.  San Diego is more compact with less traffic than the other LA area cruise ports.