Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is the site where I saw that at least one checked bag and carry on is included:

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/getting-to-the-pier/flights-information

However, this appears to be a UK-focused site so it might only pertain to passengers from the UK.

"All fares include at least one carry-on item and one checked bag per passenger. Baggage allowance can vary per airline."

If you go to the NCL site (https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions) it says "Airline imposed personal charges such as baggage fees may apply" and it also says that international flights can have up to 2 layovers (and maybe more) "For International flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of two connections when possible; air schedules permitting"  although some sites online say that airlines consider Jamaica a domestic flight in which case it is a maximum of 1 layover.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

This is exactly how it works

Thank you. I appreciate knowing that. And I have a hunch we may be on Delta as well, given our current itinerary (as near as I can tell). Nice that you're on the same cruise. Maybe we could do a Meet & Mingle. 😃

PS $30 seems quite reasonable, we got a reduction in our cruise fare recently that will more than cover the baggage fees.

BTW this is the first time we've used NCL's air promo hence the many questions. 😁

Edited by DCGuy64

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you. I appreciate knowing that. And I have a hunch we may be on Delta as well, given our current itinerary (as near as I can tell). Nice that you're on the same cruise. Maybe we could do a Meet & Mingle. 😃

PS $30 seems quite reasonable, we got a reduction in our cruise fare recently that will more than cover the baggage fees.

BTW this is the first time we've used NCL's air promo hence the many questions. 😁

You can ask me anything. If I have an answer I will share it. NCL is always cheaper for my husband and I to fly so we almost always use their air.  You will get your flights most of the time around 40 days. But we have had one show up at 14 days out. Once you have a flight code you can log into the airline and change seats or upgrade. Delta always allows upgrades if there are seats available, AA is hit or miss. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saltsandknit said:

You can ask me anything. If I have an answer I will share it. NCL is always cheaper for my husband and I to fly so we almost always use their air.  You will get your flights most of the time around 40 days. But we have had one show up at 14 days out. Once you have a flight code you can log into the airline and change seats or upgrade. Delta always allows upgrades if there are seats available, AA is hit or miss. 

Thank you very much. That's very kind of you.

• Like 1

UK and US rules and promos differ very much, so don't get confused by looking at the wrong site. Think of NCL as your travel agent essentially when it comes to flights, they just book you on something that will work and it's up to you to pay all extra fees and things outside of NCL owned stuff.

I've always ended up on an AA flight (or their partners, Alaska Airlines) when using the free air promo, but I've heard others have been booked on Delta & United as well. If you've got status with those airlines, the airlines will honor it. 

Generally speaking you will pay baggage fees for US flights, but not for international.

18 hours ago, natefish95 said:

I'm pretty confident the Gem and Joy will still sail. While a lot of headway has been made the past few weeks, it will still take a lot to get cruises fully up and running with crew (and crew vaccinations). Focusing on the Gem, Jade, Joy (and Bliss and POA now I guess) will allow NCL to focus on those ships these next few months and then get other ships up and running in September hopefully. 

I have my flights booked into Santo Domingo for September and just need to get a hotel! Unlike Bermuda, the DR and Jamaica are pretty cheap to fly into with reasonable hotels.

Are you going to go with NCL transfers or go Private?

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Now getting the dreaded "Your Cruise is on Hold" screen of death for my Sept. 4 and Sept. 11 sailings out of Jamaica. I have seen this screen way too many times in the past 14 months.

image.thumb.png.a7a3c984a3e00410ca042220a62b83a5.png

Oh no.... well like I said before. If they are gonna move it back to the US, I’m ok with that but let’s get on with it so I can rebook quickly 

2 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Oh no.... well like I said before. If they are gonna move it back to the US, I’m ok with that but let’s get on with it so I can rebook quickly 

I really hope they just move it to the US and let me keep my booking...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Now getting the dreaded "Your Cruise is on Hold" screen of death for my Sept. 4 and Sept. 11 sailings out of Jamaica. I have seen this screen way too many times in the past 14 months.

Oh no! I hope not after all your careful planning. I just checked on our Gem trip out of DR. So far everything looks fine. I will start researching a replacement trip of some sort just in case. 

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

This makes me so sad !

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Don't know your circumstances, but recommend the Studio Cabin/Thermal Suite combo on the Bliss same week.

It still allows you to book and select a cabin on the Joy out of Jamaica. 
Maybe they will just move us to a US port. I would imagine 100% of the passengers were flying to Jamaica. So now some of us just have to fly into and out of a different airport. 

11 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Don't know your circumstances, but recommend the Studio Cabin/Thermal Suite combo on the Bliss same week.

Going from the Haven to a studio is going to be a tough pill to swallow 😣

Aw man, I was literally just talking with my wife earlier tonight about which specialty restaurants to book. After all the craziness last year I’m beginning to be depressed about our chances of sailing at all in 2021! 😒

Don't panic yet.  My November Escape TA sailing has the same screen and my 2 Prima cruises have just white screens.  They are in the process of updating all of the Alaska bookings so I am being positive and saying it is a website 'glitch' while those changes are being made.  That was the case last time with my TA and everything went back to normal a few days later.  Hoping for all of you cruising soon that it is only Alaska that is being permanently affected.

• Like 1