Will NCL pull a "ROYAL" with the Gem and Joy??

mpdog42

Just curious as i am new to NCL.How many people think that NCL will do what Royal Carib has done and pull their sailings 

from the DR and Jamaica?? (Royal pulling out of Bermuda)...I sure hope they don't! ...What say you

Edited by mpdog42
correct

IMO, no.  NCL is known as a leader not a follower ie. Freestyle cruising/dining.  I think they've put too much into these starter cruises and they seem to have been responded to quite well.  

We'll see if I'm right soon enough. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is another thread about this that has a lot of good theories. 

I personally believe the cruises will sail. Royal placed a very old ship in a port that is expensive to fly to and to stay at. 
The itinerary is nearly identical to Adventure. 

NCLs 2 ships are going to different destinations so in a sense they are not competing with one another like Vision and Adventure are. 

• Like 3

Will RCCL pull a "ROYAL" in Nassau and with Celebrity in St. Maarten?

If these itineraries are available from Florida ports(still speculation), why would anyone book them. And, more to your point, why wouldn't anyone booked on the Joy and the Gem cancel (full refund), and re-book out of Florida, possibly even on NCL?

14 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

If these itineraries are available from Florida ports(still speculation), why would anyone book them. And, more to your point, why wouldn't anyone booked on the Joy and the Gem cancel (full refund), and re-book out of Florida, possibly even on NCL?

because i got a kick ass deal on flights amd a great resort for the week before.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

because i got a kick ass deal on flights amd a great resort for the week before.

Same here.  I know FL's Gov has overstepped his boundary not allowing NCL to check all passengers for COVID vaccine compliance, but NCL has also made plans to sail from Montego Bay, already.  Those cruises are less than 3 mos away from embarkation.

I can't imagine it would make much financial sense, let alone logistical sense, to change now.

Plus, there is no operational correlation between Royal and NCL aside from both operating cruises in the Caribbean.  Clearly, they are two separate companies.

• Like 5

I have been impressed with NCL's approach to resumption of cruising.  As has been stated,  they have been a leader in this effort and has not aggressively reacted to changes in CDC rules.  They never removed the Alaska cruises, just stopped booking them.  One thing to remember is that the ports all need to be ready and possibly a new port added to iternaries to replace the Canadian stop.  Other cruise lines may be trying to keep our interest, but I have real doubts if all the announcements by other cruise lines on dates on the cruises may be tough to make.

• Like 4

I'm still waiting for NCL to 'change' my upcoming Spain/Portugal sailing on the Star in May 2022. We got a complete steal on that price when we booked during Covid, and I'm waiting for them to do what they did to our Pearl sailing this October. Swapping out the Pearl for the Jade made us rebook - at the now 40% higher prices. (we didn't, we switched to RCC for the nearly identical itinerary at half the price)

So I'm just waiting for the same thing to happen to the Star. "Whoops, we're changing ships so now you can rebook" - at which point I take my money and run back to RCC or MSC.

3 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

If the same cruise left from Florida I would still keep my cruise from Jamaica. I got an amazing deal for the Haven, staying at a beautiful resort before the cruise and most importantly, I don’t have to deal with any of the CDC bs. 

• Like 2

NCL will do what makes the most financial sense. They have a responsibility to their shareholders. Based on a quick inventory check, it does not appear that the Gem or Joy are selling well. Of course, things are more complicated now because I don't know the number of cabins initially available, so it is possible that both ships are selling out to the new NCL guidelines for reduced capacity; but I tend to doubt that based on current pricing.

If you have non-refundable flights already booked into the DR or Jamaica, it might not be a bad idea to make a refundable reservation at one of the All Inclusive properties. That way if NCL pulls your itinerary you won't lose money on the flight. I realize a cruise isn't the same as an All Inclusive, but with things so fluid I think having a plan B to recoup as much loss as possible is a good idea.

Like everything with cruising right now.... time will tell.

image.png.bb6be31019ccd3e6c7c75e795ae51ed0.png

image.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL will do what makes the most financial sense. They have a responsibility to their shareholders. Based on a quick inventory check, it does not appear that the Gem or Joy are selling well. Of course, things are more complicated now because I don't know the number of cabins initially available, so it is possible that both ships are selling out to the new NCL guidelines for reduced capacity; but I tend to doubt that based on current pricing.

If you have non-refundable flights already booked into the DR or Jamaica, it might not be a bad idea to make a refundable reservation at one of the All Inclusive properties. That way if NCL pulls your itinerary you won't lose money on the flight. I realize a cruise isn't the same as an All Inclusive, but with things so fluid I think having a plan B to recoup as much loss as possible is a good idea.

image.png

Since I booked on day one, prices for my category keep rising. 
Celebrity on the other hand has lowered prices and opened up ocean view and interior rooms which were previously not bookable on their Sint Maartin cruises. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seany527 said:

Since I booked on day one, prices for my category keep rising. 
Celebrity on the other hand has lowered prices and opened up ocean view and interior rooms which were previously not bookable on their Sint Maartin cruises. 

I did not look at pricing on Day 1, but I did peak a few weeks later and it appears current prices are trending down. Of course, so much goes into pricing that it's hard to compare apples to apples.

The thing with Celebrity is that they are leaving so soon. Their first cruise departs St Maartin in two weeks. That would be a brutal cancel!

I do hope that NCL does not cancel the Gem and Joy. Their most loyal customers booked these cruises and, no doubt, some will have financial loss if cancelled.  I still believe it is sound advice to have a back up plan for those who have non-refundable air. Things are so fluid.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

image.png

Where are you seeing those prices, if you don't mind.

Rob

45 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

image.png

Nice post. Yep. Compare to Alaska and the Bliss. And...everyone is working with, at minimum, $250 off double Cruise Next or Cruise First coupons. 

I think NCL is willing to lose money on this endeavor....just not too much money.

• Like 1

When NCL announced cruises from the DR & Jamaica, I predicted that it would become a mess.  My comment was poo-pooed by all the expected posters.  There is no way I would have booked one of those cruises which are operating from ports they are not used to staging cruises from.  Whether those cruises end up operating or not,  there will be no end of problems for the passengers who booked on them.  Just remember....I said it first!

I predicted the cruise lines would run back to operating from the US as quickly as they could.  Seems like that is exactly what is likely to happen at least with some of the cruise lines.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

There's always one guy that has a girlfriend in Kingston, but I think you understood my point. Most folks would rather sail from an established port that possibly they can even drive to instead of flying.

I think logistically this is being underestimated. There's an English word that starts with cluster and ends with something rhyming with duck that I think will characterize what will happen.

• Like 2

This has been my fear for a while. We booked a B2B on the Joy as soon as bookings became available. Since then I have monitored pricing and inventory on the two sailings, 9/4 and 9/11. Prices have not changed by after the initial rush of bookings in the first week, bookings have been SUPER slow. Then the announcement about the RCCL sailings being cancelled and that seemed like the nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

I think logistically this is being underestimated. There's an English word that starts with cluster and ends with something rhyming with duck that I think will characterize what will happen.

You totally nailed it with your above comments.  It was clear to me from the get-go that these cruises from the DR and Jamaica were disasters waiting to happen.  Folks seem to not understand that a cruise line cannot just up and start cruises on a whim and successfully carry them out from a small foreign port...and with minimal advance notice (planning).  

I had given up on the possibility of cruising in 2021 in January or early February.   I had zero interest in being a guinea pig once cruises started again this year.  Let them iron out all the issues and then I'll return to cruising in 2022. 

There are plenty of non-cruise vacations that can be done by flying/driving somewhere in the meantime.  In 2021, I plan to be gambling, having great meals and seeing some shows in Vegas...and doing some long weekends in NYC.  Also, subject to the border re-opening, I'll be driving from Michigan to Quebec for some great food and european style atmosphere in Montreal.  Also (again subject to the border re-opening) I'll be flying to London for West End Theatre and family visits in the fall in the UK.  All accomplished without having to set foot on a cruise ship in Montego Bay or La Romana.

Good luck to all of you booked on those cruises!!

PS.  Oh yes.  And you won't see me stepping foot in Florida in 2021.  Not one more tourist dollar for Florida until DeSantis cleans up his act and starts governing responsibly.  I encourage others to join me on that.

Edited by MichiganBound
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

When NCL announced cruises from the DR & Jamaica, I predicted that it would become a mess.  My comment was poo-pooed by all the expected posters.  There is no way I would have booked one of those cruises which are operating from ports they are not used to staging cruises from.  Whether those cruises end up operating or not,  there will be no end of problems for the passengers who booked on them.  Just remember....I said it first!

I predicted the cruise lines would run back to operating from the US as quickly as they could.  Seems like that is exactly what is likely to happen at least with some of the cruise lines.  

Your comments were “poo-pooed” because of your tone and condescending responses. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

PS.  Oh yes.  And you won't see me stepping foot in Florida in 2021.  Not one more tourist dollar for Florida until DeSantis cleans up his act and starts governing responsibly.  I encourage others to join me on that.

It's either this guy or the passed out naked guy with the gay prostitutes. Welcome to Florida.

Regardless, it seems like everybody came down for Spring Break and rather than go home, they stayed and called all of their friends a family to join them. This place is on fire. I think it is a harbinger of a travel boom.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Your comments were “poo-pooed” because of your tone and condescending responses. 

I thought that was a prerequisite for posting on CC. Snark for the first reply...then the, "your being too sensitive" follow up. No?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Then the announcement about the RCCL sailings being cancelled and that seemed like the nail in the coffin.

But...

"there is no operational correlation between Royal and NCL aside from both operating cruises in the Caribbean."

I can't remember where I read that.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

You're being too sensitive IMHO.  I speak what I see as the truth in an unfiltered fashion.  The truth hurts sometimes...I understand that. 

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked on the Gem in Sept. We had an interesting convo with our PCC when we booked Prima about how poorly the DR cruises are selling. He was quite disappointed that they weren't selling better. The Joy cruises are selling a little better but still not what they had hoped for.  I expect the Gem to be canceled and moved to either Alaska or the east coast. It is what it is and with all the cancellations we have had it's not surprising. We will just rebook. Just not Alaska

• Thanks 1