Odyssey of the Seas to Port Everglades - Inaugural Voyage July 11th

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on this one can surmise they were newly picked up crew members who were in standard pre-cruise quarantine anyway.  RC claims there are only 2, not 5.

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mallorca/2021/05/24/megracrucero-odyssey-of-the-seas-52189001.html

This should be an absolute non-story

Maybe in your neighborhood, but on a cruiseship right now it is a huge damaging story. All eyes are on the cruiselines right now, this will not be overlooked lightly.

There is a potential of this on every ship just getting crew onboard, and we haven't even got the paying passengers yet with fake vaccine cards be allowed to board.

50 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on this one can surmise they were newly picked up crew members who were in standard pre-cruise quarantine anyway.  RC claims there are only 2, not 5.

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mallorca/2021/05/24/megracrucero-odyssey-of-the-seas-52189001.html

The reason I think this is not a non-story...it is obvious that Royal wants Odyssey to be one of the first (if not THE first) royal ship out of the gate. Heck, there is every indication that they are at least planning in some capacity for the first sailing on that ship to be July 3rd, that is a mere 40 days from now.

To get approval from the CDC to sail (real of simulated cruises) you ship needs to be Green status. Here is the criteria for Green:

• No confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness for 14 days, as determined by a qualified medical professional.
  • If the ship received ship-to-ship transfers within the past 14 days, crew must have come from a ship that was not Red.
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were immediately quarantined (unless fully vaccinated or recovered in past 90 days) upon embarking the ship.

There is no way, with confirmed positive cases on the ship, that they are going to take ANY chances here. They want Green status. You don't let any positive cases run wild on that ship (or even quarantined to cabins) If you leave them on the ship, you have to wait for them to no longer test positive, and then restart a 14-day clock.

I think stopping now, and offboarding them, make sure your ship is 100% Covid-free before you start a trans-Atlantic sailing is by far the smart move here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The reason I think this is not a non-story...it is obvious that Royal wants Odyssey to be one of the first (if not THE first) royal ship out of the gate. Heck, there is every indication that they are at least planning in some capacity for the first sailing on that ship to be July 3rd, that is a mere 40 days from now.

To get approval from the CDC to sail (real of simulated cruises) you ship needs to be Green status. Here is the criteria for Green:

• No confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness for 14 days, as determined by a qualified medical professional.
  • If the ship received ship-to-ship transfers within the past 14 days, crew must have come from a ship that was not Red.
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were immediately quarantined (unless fully vaccinated or recovered in past 90 days) upon embarking the ship.

There is no way, with confirmed positive cases on the ship, that they are going to take ANY chances here. They want Green status. You don't let any positive cases run wild on that ship (or even quarantined to cabins) If you leave them on the ship, you have to wait for them to no longer test positive, and then restart a 14-day clock.

I think stopping now, and offboarding them, make sure your ship is 100% Covid-free before you start a trans-Atlantic sailing is by far the smart move here.

I mean the media coverage should be a non-story

Just now, smokeybandit said:

I mean the media coverage should be a non-story

Philosophically, I agree it should be a non-story. But we aren't there yet. Covid on a cruise ship is still like "snakes on a plane"...it's too raw.

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Yes but this is what is showing for July 3 out of Ft. Lauderdale. 8 day cruise to Aruba and Curaçao and last day is at CocoCay

944FF7D0-3304-4606-B62D-67B51AA4A9BD.png

This is the same as Indy which is also sailing on July 3 but out of Miami (my sailing that won't happen, lol).  Same port stops on the same days.  So that's weird.  The only difference is that Indy is still showing Day 6 as La Romana.  Otherwise, identical.  

Edited by rockmom

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, smokeybandit said:

Guess it's turning into a story now isn't it?