National Wine Day

neverbeenhere

Looking on the net it seam to be Whine   ( or whinger's day )   what the ???

One place suggests it start about 2 years ago,  another site list National whatever day

like puppy day , dumb things on the internet day, look out the window day, eat a donut day...

All a bit   like somebody has too much time... 

National Wine Day seams to be 22 February 

I will have a glass wine tonight as practice for next National Wine Day..

Don

• Like 3

On 5/25/2021 at 4:35 PM, getting older slowly said:

Was that Whine  ( about selling cruises which will not happen ) or Wine   in which case I will drink to that with a nice Shiraz thanks

Don

I might consider drinking a nice Vincent Arroyo Petit Syrah from my collection. I usually take some on cruises as big name lower quality red liquid tends to be found on board the ships.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Just in case you wanted to know - August 26 is National Toilet Paper Day - https://solarispaper.com/national-toilet-paper-day.  Does that me that we have to use the loo twice on that day.  There is a national day for everything.

DON

Now that explains why I had the urge to make a run to purchase toilet paper yesterday. I was getting read early!!!! 😀

Edited by brisalta

22 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Looking on the net it seam to be Whine   ( or whinger's day )   what the ???

One place suggests it start about 2 years ago,  another site list National whatever day

like puppy day , dumb things on the internet day, look out the window day, eat a donut day...

All a bit   like somebody has too much time... 

National Wine Day seams to be 22 February 

I will have a glass wine tonight as practice for next National Wine Day..

Don

Different part of the world has a different National Wine Day. Possibly no harm in celebrating them all in moderation.  😀

On 5/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, neverbeenhere said:

The email I received, says Princess wants me to Celebrate National Whine Day. Why...

Isn't that every day on cruise critic?

Ironically, my post is whining...

18 hours ago, brisalta said:

I might consider drinking a nice Vincent Arroyo Petit Syrah from my collection. I usually take some on cruises as big name lower quality red liquid tends to be found on board the ships.

👍

Wow.  Vincent Arroyo PS.  I am impressed.  Talk about a great maker that continues to fly under the radar.

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

👍

Wow.  Vincent Arroyo PS.  I am impressed.  Talk about a great maker that continues to fly under the radar.

They sell all they can produce from their home.

I opened a 2007 Vincent Arroyo Petit Syrah the other day and it was excellent.

I first found them by accident a few decades ago when driving the back roads  north of Calistoga years ago.

Vincent Arroyo has an interesting history and a happy attitude to growing grapes and fermenting and bottling the product.

I am whining because Princess neglected to send me an email about the day.  I think I will go drown my sorrow with a glass of wine.  One I just opened last night was Thirty Bench Small Lot Cab Franc 2010.  (It's okay if you don't know it).

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I opened a 2007 Vincent Arroyo Petit Syrah the other day and it was excellent.

Sweet.  I'm jealous.  I can't seem to hold onto my Petites more than 10 years.

I visited VA in, I think, November 2003.  My wife was attending a conference at the CIA and I went along for the fun of it.  We stayed at a BnB called the Ink House--you may know it.  So, she and her colleagues blew out pretty early each day.  I was on vacation.  So, I pulled myself out of bed and went downstairs for breakfast at vacation pace.  I was the only person there and the lady who managed the place and prepared breakfast asked if I had any plans for the day.  I confessed that I would probably be visiting some tasting rooms and she started making recommendations--one of which was Vincent Arroyo.  When I arrived I couldn''t find anybody, at first.  Then a very charming young woman appeared and in a very silky French accent asked if I needed help.  I asked if I could have a tasting and off we went.  Shortly after I started limousine pulled up and five or six peiople piled out.  Apparently, they had an appointment and I was just being added onto their party. 

Our hostess told us about Vincent Arroyo, and I loved the story about him hosting a tasting and reacting to one of the tasters who complained that he could not taste the oak.  Then she offered us a barrel tasting--the first I'd ever experienced.  That was pretty cool.

The barrel tastings are nice. You have to be there the right time of year and the right time of day and with luck you will get invited to the back end of the barn to siphon some wine from a barrel.

(They also produce a really nice olive oil from trees on their land.

In the past I have had Vincent himself serve me food).

The first time we showed up we had to fill up an appointment card...fortunately they had a slot in a few minutes time, go back outside and then back in to fulfill the legal niceties of tasting and buying at a vintners home. Now we just call from the car while heading up to Calistoga.

For those who want to know a Petite Sirah is the result of a cross between Perloursin and Syrah grape varieties. In some parts of the world the Petite Sirah is known as a Durif.

Edited by brisalta