The Daily for Wednesday May 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is Sally Ride Day, National Senior Health and Fitness Day, and National Paper Airplane Day

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Chicken with Rosemary and Bacon

Drink of the Day - Cran-Apple Sangria

Wine of the day - La Fontana Albarino - Spain - White

Port of the Day - Guam (US Territory) Guam

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Freeport BS eta today 2pm

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/28
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/30
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0526USA.thumb.png.7f3c73b22a8b9939ed5a252790458b75.png

0526Europe.thumb.png.791f815af12891af44bd019d814d421d.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day.

Congrats to Sally Ride, an inspiration.  Every day should be Senior Health and Fitness Day.  I don't remember the last time I made a paper airplane, I guess I'll do that later.

I think that quote is me.  But maybe not.😉

Cooler and a few showers today, we need the rain.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.

Quiet night last night, but I did have the windows closed and the air on.   I'm glad to say the air is working just fine.   Senior fitness day means I'll be heading off for the gym in a few minutes.  Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do the weight machines along with the pool.  

Today's meal is an easy one.  Just make sure you wrap the rosemary inside the bacon.  There were several sites with the recipe and the recipe was all basically the same.  One suggestion was to use chicken thighs instead of breasts as they are juicier.  Personally, I prefer breasts over thighs, but everyone has their own preferences and palates.  

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/217981/grilled-chicken-with-rosemary-and-bacon/

Grilled chicken with rosemary and bacon.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Sally Ride - a first who broke through the glass ceiling.

Health and Fitness is important for everyone, not just seniors. But we seniors need to stay active both in body and mind 😉 

3D1D00B0-ABC4-4D59-9E16-20F630C1AB45.jpeg.7b0a1f16a16554fe99e15e4b1320d695.jpeg

LOL on the quote. The meal suggestion sounds like a good one.  Not sure about the drink of the day - Sangria yes - crab-apple sangria???

The wine of the day is a winner, I’m sure.  Love Spain’s Albarinos.  Well worth paying a corkage fee on a BHB 😉 

Unfortunately, I’m going to find myself back at the periodontist today.  5 days away from the final procedure and I have a problem he wants to check.  Grrrrr

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina and prayers for possible surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown recovery from arm surgery

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation

St. Louis Sal’s drug trial

Sharon in Az’s ear

Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.

NextOne’s DH sent back to hospital from rehab

durangoscots fight with Home Depot for missing patio door & window

St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication

Cruising-along’s grandson’s broken arm at 1st family gathering

Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas

AncientWanderer’s DGG’s fractured elbow

Garden Club Participants.  Yesterday I was talking about earth and Promix.  I am happy to report that when I went back yesterday to get more bales to finish the planters, they had the good one in.  Here is a pic of the wonderful earth.  It has gone up in price (thanks Covid) but still reasonable at $46 Cdn here and can fill a lot of planters.

464EF66E-BAF3-4006-99C1-30DC9A839CF7.thumb.jpeg.a9243cb680b91945bb3625a1821242f6.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Happy Hump Day everyone.  

DA0A9807-E3F6-4E1C-BA71-3CCAF9BCF3CF.jpeg.875f6f3752a5a371c47340efa55a81b1.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday all and thanks for the daily report.  I remember Sally Ride as the first American woman in space.  Senior good health and fitness shouldn’t be taken for granted. I’ll have to make a paper airplane today, sounds like fun!  Funny quote today.  I grilled chicken last evening so probably won’t repeat today.  I’ve never been to Guam but I can’t wait to see the photos.  Looks to be a warm day here today and hopefully the wind dies down so I can finish planting the last few plants before the weekend.  Prayers to all those in need.

• Like 18

Good morning.  Great group of days to celebrate.  I laughed at the quote.  Love your mind cartoon Jacqui. The meal sounds and looks delicious.  It's going to be a hot one today, will spend time in the pool.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Cran-Apple Sangria:

Ingredients
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 large apple diced
1 cinnamon sticks
2 (750ml) bottles red wine
1 cup brandy
1 cup triple sec or orange liqueur
3 cups apple cider
2 cups cranberry juice
Instructions
In a large pitcher, add fresh cranberries, diced apple, and cinnamon stick. Pour red wine, brandy, tripe sec, apple cider, and cranberry juice over top and stir to combine.  Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours to let flavors combine. For serving
Using a spoon or ladle, scoop out some cranberries and apples and place in wine glass.  Pour sangria over top and garnish with additional cinnamon sticks, if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 6.58.31 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days with a special shoutout to Sally Ride, a true American Hero.  I was never good at paper airplanes.  Senior Health and Fitness are especially important.  I love the quote.  Never been to Guam.  The meal sounds so nice I hardly need an alternative but will add one anyway.  It's Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, and Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry as served on MS Prinsendam May 26, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Deigo)

57Redbird DH post knee replacement improvement reducing pressure on 57Redbird

Global Entry renewal for kb4863

Good checkup for USN59-79

cruisin single and bobpatj booked for Alaska

Nieuw Statendam scheduled for Port Everglades

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Cheers to Sally Ride! Every day is senior fitness & health here. Geesh, paper airplanes - I wonder how my local birds would feel about them?

Jacqui & Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another gorgeous morning, but probably the last of our true Spring weather mornings here. I have been blessed. Last night’s moon was spectacular! We hung around the beach long enough to see it come up. It was too windy to take a picture- I could not keep my hair out of my face to see. Zumba day for me. We will see how warm it is when Vindi and I head out for our long walk. She is not a fan of humidity. So far the wind has kept it away from us. 

Love the quote. The meal sounds good. Summer that Sangria sounds good, but I usually think of cranberries as more of a Fall fruit. Of course it is Fall somewhere, right?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Today’s wine is made from the world’s tiniest grape!
BB8F65AD-1B6D-4B5E-9634-14FEC7FD1063.jpeg.f9a463b0c1bb5e17d3c6fc992a232fb2.jpeg
We all know good things come in small packages, right? The only recent info I could find about it was from an Australian wine site, so thank you to our friends down under!  I found one online site in Mexico that ships to Florida for $24.21. I suspect this one might not be easy to find locally unless you are in Spain or Europe. 

La Fontana – Albariño D.O. Rías Baixas

Albariño is the world’s tinest grape and has been referred to as  “the perfumed aristocrat of Galicia,”  by  Jancis Robinson.

The main region for Albariño is in the Rías Baixas appellation in the Galicia area of Spain. These wines have a distinctive flavour, similar to Sauvignon Blanc for its bright citrus appeal, as well as Viognier and Gewürztraminer for its aromatic floral notes.

Production – 100% Albariño with 70% macerated on lees

Colour – Bright yellow with golden -green iridescence

Nose – Tropical fruit, green apple, banna and Kiwi

Palate – Smooth and pleasant acidity with ripe fruit flavours dominated by peach. Good structure and a long pleasant finish

Pairing – Idea with fish and seafood or as an apéritif.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

We all know good things come in small packages, right? The only recent info I could find about it was from an Australian wine site, so thank you to our friends down under!  I found one online site in Mexico that ships to Florida for $24.21. I suspect this one might not be easy to find locally unless you are in Spain or Europe. 

La Fontana – Albariño D.O. Rías Baixas

Albariño is the world’s tinest grape and has been referred to as  “the perfumed aristocrat of Galicia,”  by  Jancis Robinson.

The main region for Albariño is in the Rías Baixas appellation in the Galicia area of Spain. These wines have a distinctive flavour, similar to Sauvignon Blanc for its bright citrus appeal, as well as Viognier and Gewürztraminer for its aromatic floral notes.

Production – 100% Albariño with 70% macerated on lees

Colour – Bright yellow with golden -green iridescence

Nose – Tropical fruit, green apple, banna and Kiwi

Palate – Smooth and pleasant acidity with ripe fruit flavours dominated by peach. Good structure and a long pleasant finish

Pairing – Idea with fish and seafood or as an apéritif.

FWIW, Cat, this wine is delicious.  Whenever I can find it in Spain I get more than one bottle 😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

In 2016 I took several Bermuda cruises, first on MS Veendam, then NCL Breakaway, and a few weeks later on Anthem of the Seas.  On May 26 the Breakaway was docked at Kings Wharf:

dawn0526.jpg

Roy

• Like 28

This is for Roy and me:

image.png.2e5a18a2aaf60cfe1319e6307e9600d3.png

I could never make a decent paper airplane. My brother gave me his all the time. He built, I flew.

Good morning Dailyites and our special friend Rich.. Thank you muchly! Love and hugs to my sweet sisters!

I am all for senior fitness!

image.png.116eeacee38cfe134132b9093ec1eef8.png

But we are trying to watch what we eat. Had halibut and salad last night. Making seabass in a not so weight friendly.. beurre blanc sauce tonight. The meal of the day looks real good Deb, but I would make it with thighs..

Thank you Jacqui for adding our friend to the care list. Poor guy.. prayers to all on our care list and lifting a glass tonight (see? That's fitness) to all on our celebration list.

We have our 1 year home inspection today. Hope all goes smoothly.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

Good  morning  everyone. It  promises  to  be  a  hot  humid  day  here complete  with  thunderstorms  later. @cat shepard, our  Fred agrees  with  Bindi   about  humidity. We  took  our  long  walk  early  and  he  still challenged  me  at  every  corner as  he  was  wanting  to  go  home  ASAP.

Thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily  and  to  our  list makers,recipe  finders  and  contributors. It  is  always  such  a  pleasure  to  visit  here each  day. I  will  celebrate  Sally Ride  and  Senior Health  and  Fitness. I remember  getting  in  trouble  with  the  nuns  for  sending  a  paper  airplane  to  my  friend  across  the  room. So  funny  the  things  one  remembers  from  so  many  years  ago...

We  have  plans  to  visit  with  family  later  in  the  week  and  I  still  pinch  myself  with  the  new  reality we  can  carefully  experience.  Have  a  wonderful  day  today.       Terry

• Like 19

Good morning, folks!  Thanks Rich for the Daily.  Without it we wouldn't know what special days to honor, our menu suggestion or where our ships are located.  Props to Sally Ride's accomplishments and may she RIP.  I'm not sure how great I'd bee at making paper airplanes but could give it a try.  And I applaud National Senior Health and Fitness Day.  I am happy to say our gym at the Sun City Amenity center is now open without reservations or masks.  The hours aren't as good as they used to be yet, but will be soon they say.  I really need to get back in there to work on the weight machines.  I've lost all my muscles!

The menu today looks interesting.  I always appreciate the photo with the recipe Debbie so thank you for that.  Sometimes seeing that delicious dish prepared can spark you into preparing it.

My DB tells me he is working with his PCP, his cardiologist, and his insurance company to get the paperwork straightened out so he can get the procedure he needs.  Apparently there was a glitch in "whoever did whatever".  I never did understand the rules of insurance companies.  So confusing.

The news coming out of my DS's hospital is not good, but at least they've relented and started allowing more visitors per day.  I'm not sure if that is hospital-wide or because of her condition.  My twin will be going to visit later this morning and give me a full report, so I can decide what I need to do.  I may be making flight reservations, etc. later today to get up there to see sister.  Please say some extra prayers today for Nancy!

I have never been to Guam before.  I started keeping a list of the ports to see which ones I need to study for future travels.  Since March 1 this is the longest stretch of days that I have a NO in the column next to the name of the port.  Four days in a row!  Wow!  When DH says I think we've pretty much been everywhere I can conclusively show him we have not.  Time to book more cruises.

• Like 25

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The news coming out of my DS's hospital is not good, but at least they've relented and started allowing more visitors per day.  I'm not sure if that is hospital-wide or because of her condition.  My twin will be going to visit later this morning and give me a full report, so I can decide what I need to do.  I may be making flight reservations, etc. later today to get up there to see sister.  Please say some extra prayers today for Nancy!

Sandi, thank you for sharing Nancy’s name with us. Extra prayers for her and your entire family. And a big hug for you.

• Like 13

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

A salute to Sally Ride and may she rest in peace.  Today there is a rocket launch and so I will sent a special prayer for her along with the rocket.

Quote is a good one. I am like that sometimes.

I try to stay active but I dont like machines in the gym. I prefer swimming or walking. I walk most of the time that I play golf so hopefully it is doing something!

Never been to Guam. Thanks to anyone who can post the pictures. There are just too many places that I have not been. Hope to change that soon!!

@StLouisCruisers Special prayers for your sister. Will be thinking of you and your family today. It is never easy and when you are separated by distance, it seems worse. Hope the news will be better from your twin.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.A shout out to Sally Ride. Senior fitness is something I should take more seriously. I think I love the quote, but am not sure.

Off to the Opthomologist for my yearly checkup that is at least 6 months overdue. I’m sure I need new reading glasses, even if the prescription is the same because they are very scratched. Expecting temps in the high 90s with an afternoon storm. Hope to make it home before the rain.

Prayers for everyone on the list.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning, folks!  Thanks Rich for the Daily.  Without it we wouldn't know what special days to honor, our menu suggestion or where our ships are located.  Props to Sally Ride's accomplishments and may she RIP.  I'm not sure how great I'd bee at making paper airplanes but could give it a try.  And I applaud National Senior Health and Fitness Day.  I am happy to say our gym at the Sun City Amenity center is now open without reservations or masks.  The hours aren't as good as they used to be yet, but will be soon they say.  I really need to get back in there to work on the weight machines.  I've lost all my muscles!

The menu today looks interesting.  I always appreciate the photo with the recipe Debbie so thank you for that.  Sometimes seeing that delicious dish prepared can spark you into preparing it.

My DB tells me he is working with his PCP, his cardiologist, and his insurance company to get the paperwork straightened out so he can get the procedure he needs.  Apparently there was a glitch in "whoever did whatever".  I never did understand the rules of insurance companies.  So confusing.

I have never been to Guam before.  I started keeping a list of the ports to see which ones I need to study for future travels.  Since March 1 this is the longest stretch of days that I have a NO in the column next to the name of the port.  Four days in a row!  Wow!  When DH says I think we've pretty much been everywhere I can conclusively show him we have not.  Time to book more cruises.

Extra EXTRA prayers going out to Nancy!!

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I distinctly remember watching the lift-off when Sally Ride went into space, thinking with pride, that a woman finally broke through the glass ceiling in a rather spectacular way.  Senior health and fitness is important, both physical and mental.  Love making paper airplanes; for our DS's 18th birthday party, we had a bunch of friends his age in our back yard and I brought out a box full of computer reject paper for them to make paper airplanes.  Seriously, you'd think they were all 6 years old again - the competition was fierce!

We haven't been to Guam, but our DS and DDIL flew there for a week from Tokyo and both said they absolutely loved it.  They said it was like Hawaii, except it wasn't as commercialized.  I'm looking forward to seeing photos on here.

We had to cover the plants again last night - yes, we had frost - but the temps are gradually warming again and hopefully this is the last night until fall that we have to cover the plants.  

DH is still asleep, so will have to see what the day brings as far as a reaction to his 2nd jab.  Hopefully there won't be any to worry about!  Speaking of worrying, I worry about all the dear grandchildren who are breaking bones!  Those poor little ones; I always feel bad for them when I see them in casts and slings. 

I like today's menu suggestion, and have everything except the rosemary - a quick run into the grocery store will fix that.  I'm not a fan of grilling bacon though, as the flare-ups can be quite dramatic from the fat dripping onto the burners.  I may try it in the air-fryer and see how it turns out.  Along with a side dish of dilled potatoes and a vegetable, that will make a nice dinner at our house tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra healing prayers for Roy, and for those recovering from illness.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22