Don't-miss Cunard traditions?

TouchstoneFeste

On 5/26/2021 at 10:42 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's a few I'll contribute. Some of these are specific to QM2 crossings. From your posting history it looks like you will be on a QM2 crossing.

Visiting the kennels when the dogs are out exercising.

Watching the noon bell ringing in the Grand Lobby and listening to the captain's noon announcement.

Having a pub lunch in the Golden Lion.

Enjoying a Godiva ice cream sundae in Sir Samuels.

Attending as many of the Insights lectures as possible.

Visiting the library and sitting in one of the comfy chairs with a view out to sea over the bow.

Sitting in one of the chairs at a window along a lower deck forward to watch the sea go by from close to sea level.

Making at least one complete circuit of the promenade deck at some point.

Riding the scenic lift.

Visiting the bridge viewing area.

Finding Homer Simpson.

I second much of what BlueMarble said above re QM2 TA crossing - and those I don't know I will be trying on our next trip!  I would add

- Pre-dinner cocktails in the CC, then taking the scenic elevator down to Deck 7 and strolling out along deck 7 to the restaurant.  There is no better walk to dinner anywhere in the world imo.

- Post dinner martini while listening to the jazz combo in Chart room

- Walks along Deck 7 outdoors especially at night

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I think my favorite part of a west bound T/A is up early on arrival morning, Watch the pilot boat come along side to board the Pilot, going under the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge and then seeing the spot lit Statue of Liberty, come into view as we glide by, and then as the Queen makes her graceful pirouette to back into the pier at Brooklyn. A perfect ending to a wonderful crossing. 

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. Dreaming, really. Mister and I bought a voyage-long pass to the spa and spent time every day in the hydrotherapy pool and steam rooms. So luxurious. Then we’d sit in the sun room overlooking the water with a cool cucumber water. Just so lovely. We don’t do anything like that at home.

We always eat at least one meal at the Golden Lion. The curry is delicious. Having lived in England for several years, we’ve had our fair share of pub curries, and this is one of the best, although that could be due to the setting…

Mister generates grumpy comments, as he is one of *those* people that lurks until a window seat is available in the library and promptly falls asleep. You snooze you…win.

I thoroughly enjoy the dance lessons and look forward to them. The instructors are usually funny and put the group at ease. 

The passenger talent show is always a good time. 

Can you tell I am missing our Queen? 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Tonopah said:

Can you tell I am missing our Queen? 

You and me both! 

I'm also one of *those* people, although I'm not a snoozer - I'm a solo traveller, so I'm taking up prime window real estate in the Golden Lion with only one body, usually with my nose in a book.

Next crossing (April 2022), I'm going to have to check out the dance lessons - I've got 2 left feet, but it's always good to try something new! 

• Thanks 1

What a thrill to read all the responses of the other fellow cruise critics traditions.

Our most important tradition is initially booking a sailing on the Queen Mary 2. And counting the days on a calendar to the sailing date.

Once we know we are taking our luggage out of storage, figuring which bags and sizes we will need in traditional.

The night before activities at home before the next morning departure from home. Like many say on this topic in Cruise Rituals forum on these boards.

These items build the anticipation of the true tradition of walking the Clear Gangway on a Crystal Clear Blue Sky and entering that entrance of the Ship and seeing the Grand Lobby once again.

Seeing the hallways, passing the very well known areas we look forward to spending time for the number days on board. Recognizing the cabin again, heading for the first meal (not made at home), roaming the hallways and passage ways and outside deck. Trying on the life jacket  to the muster stations..... So many don't miss traditions to numerous to mentioned.

• Like 2

Sadly, our favorite memory on our TA crossings, is destined to remain a memory.   😥
It was going for pre-dinner cocktails in the Princess Grille bar on the venerable QE 2.  First time we sailed on her, we didn't find the tucked away little lounge until the next to last night.  On our next 2 crossings on her, we made a bee-line for the hidden little gem our first night and enjoyed it every night before our dinner in the Princess Grille.  It was such a wonderful space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catnip said:

Sadly, our favorite memory on our TA crossings, is destined to remain a memory.   😥
It was going for pre-dinner cocktails in the Princess Grille bar on the venerable QE 2.  First time we sailed on her, we didn't find the tucked away little lounge until the next to last night.  On our next 2 crossings on her, we made a bee-line for the hidden little gem our first night and enjoyed it every night before our dinner in the Princess Grille.  It was such a wonderful space.

Yes, we too knew of it but from the beginning looking over the floor plan before boarding.

We remember the little elevator off the main hallway that took you there and also the winding staircase you could use use to the bar.

• Like 1

BigMIke911

We are just down the road from you off 1488 near I45. We are taking the 2023 world cruise with another couple. We sailed the Queen Mary in 2005, but not since and our friends going with us,  she traveled on one of the Queens in like 1960 something with her parents. Any chance you would want to meet for dinner and tell us more about your experience and hints about sailing in the Queens Grill on the QM2? my email is rshepley at gopublic dot com so we can do this off line. Thanks for any response. 

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes, we too knew of it but from the beginning looking over the floor plan before boarding.

We remember the little elevator off the main hallway that took you there and also the winding staircase you could use use to the bar.

Yes!   I do remember seeing it on the floor plan, but we had problems actually finding it!   Until one of our waiters in the Princess Grille told us about the staircase.   Then, we left via the door in the hallway, but man it was hard to find!
But a very cool spot.

• Thanks 1

Do you remember the name of the 2 Princess Grille dining rooms?  One was the Princess Grille, I think that was the port side??).  The other Princess Grille on the Starboard side, I cannot remember the name of.  It had a different color scheme, if I remember correctly.

8 hours ago, Catnip said:

Do you remember the name of the 2 Princess Grille dining rooms?  One was the Princess Grille, I think that was the port side??).  The other Princess Grille on the Starboard side, I cannot remember the name of.  It had a different color scheme, if I remember correctly.

Britannia Restaurant. Princess had like a Pink or Reddish color decor and Britannia was in Blue. To enter the Britannia Restaurant you had to go down the winding stairs on the starboard side. I remember it since it was the last sailing we took on her.

From a old brochure of the QE2

"You may select the Princess Grill for more modern styling or the Britannia Grill for a more traditional look in dining surroundings. The menus are the same. The newer Britannia is subtly elegant."

If remember the Old Columbia Restaurant was redone under the name of Caronia and had a circular bar outside of it.

QE2 - Photo Tour and Coomentary - Dining

Princess

The Britannia Grill Story

Britianna

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

It’s so nice to see those pics and hear the stories from the past.

But what about now? What are some favorite secret, hidden, more personal, or less-frequented areas on the current Queens, Grills or otherwise? How about best areas for after-hours (after midnight)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Britannia Restaurant. Princess had like a Pink or Reddish color decor and Britannia was in Blue. To enter the Britannia Restaurant you had to go down the winding stairs on the starboard side. I remember it since it was the last sailing we took on her.

From a old brochure of the QE2

"You may select the Princess Grill for more modern styling or the Britannia Grill for a more traditional look in dining surroundings. The menus are the same. The newer Britannia is subtly elegant."

If remember the Old Columbia Restaurant was redone under the name of Caronia and had a circular bar outside of it.

QE2 - Photo Tour and Coomentary - Dining

Princess

The Britannia Grill Story

Britianna

Great pic!  I have got to go find my old pictures.  In the Princess Grille, there was a long banquette-type seating on an upper level.  I don't know if both dining rooms had that seating, or not. 

5 hours ago, Catnip said:

Great pic!  I have got to go find my old pictures.  In the Princess Grille, there was a long banquette-type seating on an upper level.  I don't know if both dining rooms had that seating, or not. 

If I remember, it was at the farest end of the Princess Grill and was circular and hidden away. I know we knew passengers in that area if I am right, we use to stop and say Hello.

Edited by BklynBoy8

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A You Tube of Princess Grill and Princess Restaurant as we remember it so well.

We had a wonderful table that I remember well Table Number 110...

How wonderful!  Yes, that's the row of seats I was referring to on that far wall on the right.  If you stop at :26 we were seated at that big round table in the near screen on our first crossing.  I don't remember the table #.

• Thanks 1

Traditions, as opposed to habits,  are generally considered to be actions passed down the generations and as my parents had exactly the same Cunard reactions when they boarded, our Cunard tradition is to heave a huge sigh of relief we're back onboard.

• Like 1