Finally going Downunder! (Well 2023 anyway)

Lois R

Happy Friday friends, thank you all for help----I want you to know I truly appreciate it😃

I know everything will be so very useful and I will have many months to figure out all the things I really want to do/see. Of course the Opera House is at the top of the list👍 (will be doing lots of research on everything!)

As for my flights, I would be booking them through the cruise line so whoever they are using at the time of the cruise, that is who I am flying. But I am definitely going Business Class. 

turtlemichael,  thanks for the link. Lots of good information on there too!

Well, I did it🙂.......I put a deposit down for January 2023🙂.......15 nights starts in Auckland--ends in Sydney.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Lois is on a roll!  Can hardly wait to see what she books when the new itineraries are released in July.

This is what the "pent up demand" cruise executives keep talking about looks like. 🙂

8 hours ago, cruiseej said:

This is what the "pent up demand" cruise executives keep talking about looks like. 🙂

Hi, yes, it is.........making up for all that lost time🙂

8 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Lois, if you are on Whisper departing Auckland January 8, you should pass the World Cruise on Shadow in Bass Strait, just out of Milford Sound, where we are due the day after you are there. Detective work by me! 

That is the cruise---January 8th.......🙂

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Lois is on a roll!  Can hardly wait to see what she books when the new itineraries are released in July.

Good morning, well, some more changes are coming this week too.....from what I have heard, so it may not be 100% but I have heard MUSE will be sailing out of Seattle this summer going to Alaska for 10 nights. Not 100% positive but look for news this first week of June.

Lois, we sailed Auckland to Sydney in March/April 2019 on Celebrity Solstice with nine days in NZ pre-cruise and 9 days post-cruise in Australia.  Loved it but will say it is really interesting to visit those counties and realize they have an even younger history than our own.  Our big trip before our Down Under trip was to Israel in October 2018 and the contrast was great.

I'll just add some tips that aren't comprehensive but will give you food for thought.  Perhaps we can fill in details when we sail together in October 🙂

Auckland - we stayed at the Auckland Hilton on points and it was VERY convenient for embarkation.  One of the top three experiences of our trip was a day trip to Waiheke Island with a vineyard tour through Waivino (owner/guide is Grant).  Also enjoyed the Auckland Memorial museum.

Akaroa - quaint town.  We hiked (VERY challenging hike) but first were among the first to entire the Giant's House.  I thought the house would be too kitschy for me but it was utterly unique and fascinating.  But go early.

Sydney - the early morning sail in to Sydney Harbor will remain one of my top three travel moments of my life.  It was just surreal to think that I was finally seeing the Opera House in person after seeing it for years in movies, on t.v., etc.  How lucky am I?!?  We stayed for about four days in the Shangri-La Hotel and loved the views.

Australia - we traveled to Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, and Uluru.

NZ - we spent about a week travelling around the South Island by car.  

If you are going to Tasmania (as we did) or want a good book to learn more about Australia's history as a penal colongy, I recommend The Tea Ticket.  Not always a pleasant read but very interesting.

Happy Planning!

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, I did it🙂.......I put a deposit down for January 2023🙂.......15 nights starts in Auckland--ends in Sydney.

Sounds like a super great "ADVENTURE" in these two countries.  Awesome is the phrase that applies!!  You have received a number of very good suggestions, but I will offer some more tips, insights and recommendations.  

YES, good research and careful planning is absolutely required .  Why?  There are so many excellent options there.  And, given the long, long distance and timing to get there, you do not want to suffer post-trip regrets that you did not better plan and prep.  Below is my live/blog link below with a ton of visuals and options to consider.  Don't be shy with any and all follow-up questions.  

KEY SUMMARY QUESTIONS?OPTIONS

1. As important as is the cruise will be, what might be even more valuable will be what you could do both or either with your pre-cruise and post-cruise time.  Do NOT short-change these options and these timing decisions.  Lots to do in and round Auckland in advance of sailing!!  Then, there are Australia's over-the-top options!!!  Our time pre-cruise doing the Great Barrier Reef/rainforest in the NE and on Kangaroo Island were totally, mind-blowing amazing!  Then, there is Sydney, including the Opera House and climbing to the top of the Harbor Bridge.  Need to know more?

2. Hawaii is a great option to break up the long, long flight times going both down and back.  We did that both ways to great success in 2014.  Airline rules are always complicated and challenging, but it is an important option to consider.  

3. Check if Silversea offers an overnight excursion to do Queenstown and for experiencing the super-scenic parts of the NZ South Island.  WOW, times ten!!

4. Do not settle for just seeing some of these stops via only walking around in the port downtown.  That's OK, but you should do some REAL ADVENTURES, such as a Jet-Boat ride down a narrow, rocky canyon and/or a rail ride, etc.  

Below are a few visual samples to help "build the excitement" and challenge you to think very creatively and even bigger.  

Tell us more as to what you most like to do, see, enjoy, etc.  History?  Shopping?  Culture?  Nature?  Food?  Arts?  Architecture?  Music?  Wildlife?   Scenic countrysides?  Being more "aggressive" in doing more?  Or, more relaxed and laid-back?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,366 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

In Sydney, the Opera House offers so much, including doing a tour there, learning how it was designed and built, seeing a live performance there, etc.  Climbing to the top of the Harbor Bridge is amazing!!  Like me, you do not need to be young and super fit to accomplish this great learning experience to understand this architectural feat.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TLC_3233.thumb.jpeg.3a539169971f2f96fedfbf92c5813c92.jpeg

SidneyTwoBridge.thumb.jpeg.363b748caddb07f727b9b64ca2c2b0f7.jpeg

What is more fun and exciting than a NZ Jet-Boat ride through a narrow, rocky, stone canyon?  My wife super loved this adventure.  See the visual evidence.:

TLC_5530.thumb.jpeg.8d741ede839cb248b285a06584b31387.jpeg

TLC_5468.thumb.jpeg.f2d0d2a2d5a1bac5db69e724d82a50a3.jpeg

Australia's rainforests are amazing to walk and explore.:

TLC_1338.thumb.jpeg.5d8c37df4f4f5774d5989e9b198c1b8f.jpeg

Or, a rail adventure?  Lots of great options and uniques sites and sights??!!:

TLC_1158.thumb.jpeg.3a57fe137cdac09565a7c809642af2bb.jpeg

Hi Terry, thanks for the informative post🙂 (as usual).......I can tell you off the top, I am not a big shopper but I love shopping for food.....LOL....not groceries but I love trying new foods😃 so touring in the Culinary category is always appealing to me. And that train ride in the picture looks fun too.

I don't go for "aggressive" tours but enjoy sight seeing for sure and learning the history of an area is always a good thing.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:22 PM, Lois R said:

starts in Auckland--ends in Sydney.

Starting in Auckland, consider Air New Zealand for your Business Class flight.  I flew to AKL from LAX; an excellent experience in their 777.  Even if you are going to use Silverseas air program (being able to use any cruise line air program for international open jaw Business Class flights has always provided the best pricing that I could find), Silverseas may be able to accommodate specific flight requests.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, Lois R said:

I love trying new foods😃 so touring in the Culinary category is always appealing to me

A brief trip across the Auckland harbor takes one to the community of Devonport.  A very pleasant place to wander around and is best known for its harborside dining.  

Dining in the restaurant at the top of the Sky Tower, called Orbit, as I recall, was an experience that I treasure in my memory.  Doing so at sunset with a glass of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as my beverage and then going to the restaurant for a dinner of New Zealand Lamb:  it will be a repeated experience for me if I can return to Auckland.  

On 5/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, lovestx said:

Also enjoyed the Auckland Memorial museum.

One could spend an entire day there and not comprehend all that is available.  Visiting the section dealing with New Zealand's contribution to the success of the Allies in WW I ought not be overlooked.  It reminds one that there are many other countries that honor and memorialize those who have given their best and their devotion to their country just as we do this Memorial Day 2021.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Cunard has just announced that they have cancelled all their summer 21/22 cruises.

SS will likely follow,

Cunard Unveils New Itineraries, Cancels 2022 World Cruises, Australia Cruises (cruisecritic.com.au)

The cruise I started this thread about is for 2023. Not sure where Cunard comes into play?