Oceania cancels Nov. 21 Sirena cruise

davencl

The three ships included in Oceania’s restart announcement on Wednesday are:

• Riviera, which will resume its previously published voyage schedule beginning from Istanbul on Oct. 18.
  • Insignia, which will resume sailings on Dec. 21 with a Panama Canal voyage in advance of a long sold-out, 180-day around-the-world cruise from Los Angeles.
  • Sirena, which will resume sailings out of Miami on Jan. 22, 2022.

53 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

The three ships included in Oceania’s restart announcement on Wednesday are:

• Riviera, which will resume its previously published voyage schedule beginning from Istanbul on Oct. 18.
  • Insignia, which will resume sailings on Dec. 21 with a Panama Canal voyage in advance of a long sold-out, 180-day around-the-world cruise from Los Angeles.
  • Sirena, which will resume sailings out of Miami on Jan. 22, 2022.

Thanks! Thought we were safe scheduling in November 😶

30 minutes ago, Matelot70 said:
Somebody needs to tell their Vice President as I received this email today. Particularly frustrating as my travel agent informed me yesterday my Sirena cruise was cancelled in October

I think they sent this to you in the hopes you'd rebook for next year.

• Like 1

The Sirena Dec. 12 from Miami was also cancelled, which I was on. Without inquiring about if I want to reschedule to another cruise and keep the deposit Oceania is just processing refunds. I had a $500 FCC that was being applied to the cancelled cruise, I have no idea what the status of that is, whether it will go back into my account with a new expiration date or not.

I wonder what Sirena is doing between now and Jan. 22, 2022? Right now Sirena is docked in Italy. There is not a TATL on the schedule as there was before. She was going to depart London Oct. 15. on TA with passengers and then do the winter Caribbean cruises from Miami. Looks like she will sail empty to the US in time for the Jan. 22 cruise, spend a few months over here, then return to Europe March 29.

I found out about this from Susiesan's post on the =X= board regarding her search for an alternative.  O rep told me they emailed my TA, but not me directly, that they had cancelled Sirena's TA from Southampton.    That's not the level of service I expect.  With all the marketing emails I get, I know they have my contact info.  BTW Susiesan, we've switched to =X= Silhouette TA two weeks later.  Delta hit me with a $500 fare difference.  Errrrr 

1 hour ago, marieps said:

O rep told me they emailed my TA, but not me directly, that they had cancelled Sirena's TA from Southampton.    That's not the level of service I expect. 

I think when dealing  a TA it is up to them to report to their clients on any changes

That is the point of using  a good TA  other than just getting extra perks

JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think when dealing  a TA it is up to them to report to their clients on any changes

That is the point of using  a good TA  other than just getting extra perks

JMO

I hear you.  I think communication with both TA and guest/client is in order.  Might O being trying to force the TA to deliver the bad news? 

19 minutes ago, marieps said:

I hear you.  I think communication with both TA and guest/client is in order.  Might O being trying to force the TA to deliver the bad news? 

I think NOT!

When one chooses an Agent, they choose that Agent be their representative for all matters and dealing with Oceania or any other entity. Oceania is absolutely correct in only dealing with that Agent in these matters. If one wants to deal directly with Oceania, don’t use a TA. 

It amazes me the number of people that want to subvert their own appointed Agent and attempt to deal directly. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, marieps said:

I found out about this from Susiesan's post on the =X= board regarding her search for an alternative.  O rep told me they emailed my TA, but not me directly, that they had cancelled Sirena's TA from Southampton.    That's not the level of service I expect.  With all the marketing emails I get, I know they have my contact info.  BTW Susiesan, we've switched to =X= Silhouette TA two weeks later.  Delta hit me with a $500 fare difference.  Errrrr 

Marie, I am still researching an X cruise while waiting for O to get back to my TA  with an alternative cruise to the canceled Dec.12 Sirena. As I commented over on X board, I doubt that O will make on offer or compromise, that they don't really care if they lose the booking to a competitor. One thing I have never liked about Oceania is their "take it or leave it" atitude. They would rather sail with empty cabins than negotiate a deal

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

One thing I have never liked about Oceania is their "take it or leave it" atitude. They would rather sail with empty cabins than negotiate a deal

I doubt they sail with many empty cabins

But if you move off  there will be someone waiting to book the cabin

JMO

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I doubt they sail with many empty cabins

But if you move off  there will be someone waiting to book the cabin

JMO

Which is why O doesn't care if they lose the business of past passengers. 

The 3 week between Thanksgiving and Christmas see the lowest bookings on all ships, cabins often go empty during this time. Most lines heavily discount during this time or offer lots of perks. This is my favorite time to cruise in the Caribbean because ships are rarely full. At this moment, the Riviera sailing Dec. 13 has plenty  of open cabins.

11 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Which is why O doesn't care if they lose the business of past passengers. 

The 3 week between Thanksgiving and Christmas see the lowest bookings on all ships, cabins often go empty during this time. Most lines heavily discount during this time or offer lots of perks. This is my favorite time to cruise in the Caribbean because ships are rarely full. At this moment, the Riviera sailing Dec. 13 has plenty  of open cabins.

Then it should be easy for you to find a discounted cabin on another line

We sail  the first few weeks in Dec  &  the ships are pretty well booked  by sailing day IME

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I think NOT!

When one chooses an Agent, they choose that Agent be their representative for all matters and dealing with Oceania or any other entity. Oceania is absolutely correct in only dealing with that Agent in these matters. If one wants to deal directly with Oceania, don’t use a TA. 

It amazes me the number of people that want to subvert their own appointed Agent and attempt to deal directly. 

Who said anything about subverting a TA?  I simply want to be included in the first line of communication.  Why are you so amazed that the client who's paying the fare wants to be told that the cruise is cancelled?  Thanks to COVID, my TA and many are working part-time and have taken full-time work elsewhere.  It's not their fault.   Your outrage is misplaced, IMHO.  I wasn't looking to "deal" with Oceania.  I just wanted a heads up on a cancellation.  Seeking alternatives (of which there are none in 2021) would have been done through the TA, of course. Geez.

Totally agree with Pinot - you choose a TA to represent you in booking your cruise, that TA is your representative in ALL matters relating to that booking and Oceania will only communicate directly with your TA ... YOUR agent. It is your agent's responsibility to pass any relevant communication on to you. Of course, you could notify Oceania that you are no longer represented by an agent and then all communication, etc. will only be between you and Oceania ... your TA will be out of the loop and no longer involved with your booking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marieps said:

Who said anything about subverting a TA?  I simply want to be included in the first line of communication.  Why are you so amazed that the client who's paying the fare wants to be told that the cruise is cancelled? 

During these times of uncertainty you could check the Oceania website  often  to see what cruises have been cancelled

They seem to be notices  at least monthly over the past year

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

If your TA is no longer working for you then contact Oceania & have them removed from your booking

JMO

Interesting. One of the options to switch to from Dec. 12 Sirena cancellation was dec. 3 Riviera. Almost the same cruise itinerary. yesterday there was availability in most cabins. Today the entire ship is waitlisted. This usually means that a cruise is about to be cancelled. The next Riviera sailing Dec. 13 and the subsequent ones show availability. Hmm.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

During these times of uncertainty you could check the Oceania website  often  to see what cruises have been cancelled

They seem to be notices  at least monthly over the past year

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

If your TA is no longer working for you then contact Oceania & have them removed from your booking

JMO

Yes, I have been checking, but the announcement came on a day I didn't.  I'm trying to give my TA my business so she continues a revenue stream.  BTW, I have had four =X= cruises cancelled and got an email each time.  It's not unheard of.  Does that mean they were subverting my TA?   O also put out a press release about the new restart dates the same day they emailed my TA.  They told the media.  They told the TAs.  Just not the clients directly.  Obviously different cruise lines handle things in different ways.  I was used to the emails from =X=.  Guess the folks more familiar with O see it differently.  That's fine.  

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Interesting. One of the options to switch to from Dec. 12 Sirena cancellation was Dec. 3 Riviera. Almost the same cruise itinerary. yesterday there was availability in most cabins. Today the entire ship is waitlisted. This usually means that a cruise is about to be cancelled. The next Riviera sailing Dec. 13 and the subsequent ones show availability. Hmm.

Wednesday, Thursday and Yesterday, I checked that Dec 3rd Riviera sailing at least 8 times a day and it was waitlisted the entire time.

There was one cabin on Wednesday around Noon and I grabbed it.  My TA had 60 people on the Dec 1st Sirena - I feel sorry for her having to find something for these people.

When my Dec 1st Sirena was cancelled I got the email and the alternatives offered were March. Nov and Dec 2022 on Sirena- no offer to switch to Dec 3rd which would have been closest to our sail date

I'm curious to know what time of day did you see Riviera with available cabins

Edited by cruisingxpert

7 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Wednesday, Thursday and Yesterday, I checked that Dec 3rd Riviera sailing at least 8 times a day and it was waitlisted the entire time.

There was one cabin on Wednesday around Noon and I grabbed it.  My TA had 60 people on the Dec 1st Sirena - I feel sorry for her having to find something for these people.

When my Dec 1st Sirena was cancelled I got the email and the alternatives offered were March. Nov and Dec 2022 on Sirena- no offer to switch to Dec 3rd which would have been closest to our sail date

At last check our Feb 7 2022 on Riviera is still a go.  

2 minutes ago, marieps said:

At last check our Feb 7 2022 on Riviera is still a go.  

Yes.  I've lost track of how many cruises I've had cancelled since last March.  I was so sure that Sirena would go that I had booked my air and hotel.  Fortunately it was refundable but I had also booked air for friends who were going and they only get a travel voucher for their Air Canada flights.  The difference to make their tickets refundable was almost double the price.

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

Yes.  I've lost track of how many cruises I've had cancelled since last March.  I was so sure that Sirena would go that I had booked my air and hotel.  Fortunately it was refundable but I had also booked air for friends who were going and they only get a travel voucher for their Air Canada flights.  The difference to make their tickets refundable was almost double the price.

We were lucky to get our VRBO dates switched, but the difference in air fare is $500 for the new dates.  I booked air early because the price was such a bargain.  The difference is actually the price I expected to pay.  

1 hour ago, cruisingxpert said:

cruisingxpert: were the alternatives you were offered at the same price you had paid for Sirena Dec. 1? Oceania has not offered me any alternatives. My TA has had a request in to them since Wednesday when they cancelled all the Sirena cruises but she hasn't heard back from them and O is closed until Tuesday.

What March Sirena cruise were you offered and at what price? Did you book one of the alternatives or something else or nothing?

Now both Dec. 3 and Dec. 13 Riviera are completely waitlisted.

44 minutes ago, susiesan said:

cruisingxpert: were the alternatives you were offered at the same price you had paid for Sirena Dec. 1? Oceania has not offered me any alternatives. My TA has had a request in to them since Wednesday when they cancelled all the Sirena cruises but she hasn't heard back from them and O is closed until Tuesday.

What March Sirena cruise were you offered and at what price? Did you book one of the alternatives or something else or nothing?

Now both Dec. 3 and Dec. 13 Riviera are completely waitlisted.

There was no price offered.  Just telling you what other Sirena Caribbean cruises were on in 2022. My poor travel agent has 60 people she is trying to book on an alternative.

I grabbed the one and only cabin that was showing available on Riviera Dec 3rd around Noon on Wednesday.  Have checked obsessively since then because I was travelling with 2 other couples and am hoping to spot something for them.  That's why I wanted to know when you saw availability on that cruise.