CDC to allow big-ship cruising from U.S. ports to restart in June

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Absolutely lol, that is why rcl hasnt cancelled any july cruises as if every single one will be a go. Rcl peeps are screaming in frustration, especially the ones booking flights and hotels.

Every week with rcl they say maybe this week. 

Celebrity is sailing June 26, which is an rci company. Additionally rci was amongst the first to start cruising outside the us

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Just out of curiosity, where does it state that Alaska is making that choice?  When I looked up the requirements to visit Alaska by sea and air, they didn't even require a covid test.

It's a requirement for Carnival's Alaska sailings, not a blanket Alaska thing. (Though the other lines choosing to do the same thing wouldn't surprise me)

Bottom of this page if you want the details:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_052521

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Just out of curiosity, where does it state that Alaska is making that choice?  When I looked up the requirements to visit Alaska by sea and air, they didn't even require a covid test.

I have seen it in mutiple places but the only one that is easy to find is from John Healds video the other day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Those suites are amazing.

A few years back, when they were first starting to book those (on the Edge) I gave brief thought to trying out one of the Edge Villas. They were pricey then, but were just a bit more than the Penthouses we've stayed in on Celebrity (Solstice class). I looked back a couple/few weeks later and the prices had gone through the roof... over $20k pp... I guess they found the price point people were actually willing to pay.

No thanks!

Tom

• Like 1

I took a few minutes to look at other (non-holiday sailings) on the Edge, since that was discussed before. I was actually surprised (yes, really this time) to see suite availability for the same date as our Mardi Gras sailing (8/7). It was MUCH more reasonable than the New Year's cruise - comparatively affordable. At this point it would be REALLY VERY HANDY to hear from Carnival regarding the Mardi Gras!!

Suites on the Edge include premium drinks, WiFi, tips, and shore excursion/onboard credit

Suites on Mardi Gras include... well, not much. 

Having said that, I'd still rather REALLY sail on the Mardi Gras --- come on Carnival!!

i-HZ3n8q9-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 3:42 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

It's a requirement for Carnival's Alaska sailings, not a blanket Alaska thing. (Though the other lines choosing to do the same thing wouldn't surprise me)

Bottom of this page if you want the details:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_052521

Pretty sure it's a requirement of the departure port (Seattle and the California ports),

not Alaska

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Sibadssailors above has it. Washington State requirement.  

Edited by harkinmr

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

When the CDC initially floated test sailings - was there not a 60 day period prior to resumption of regular sailings (following test sailings)? Is that not the case any longer?

Tom

I believe that was updated:

"A cruise ship operator should notify CDC and request CDC’s approval to conduct a simulated voyage at least 30 calendar days[1] prior to the date on which the cruise ship operator proposes to conduct the simulation"

"The 30-calendar day timeframe is suggested as a guideline. CDC will respond to submissions within 5 business days. CDC expects to quickly approve applications that are both complete and accurate."

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I took a few minutes to look at other (non-holiday sailings) on the Edge, since that was discussed before. I was actually surprised (yes, really this time) to see suite availability for the same date as our Mardi Gras sailing (8/7). It was MUCH more reasonable than the New Year's cruise - comparatively affordable. At this point it would be REALLY VERY HANDY to hear from Carnival regarding the Mardi Gras!!

Suites on the Edge include premium drinks, WiFi, tips, and shore excursion/onboard credit

Suites on Mardi Gras include... well, not much. 

Having said that, I'd still rather REALLY sail on the Mardi Gras --- come on Carnival!!

i-HZ3n8q9-XL.jpg

Tom

I am booked on Edge 7/03. I booked a solo infinity verandah for $2,100 including beverage package, wifi and gratuities. Carnival can't come close to that price for a veranda. I would absolutely book the sky suite over a suite on Mardi Gras. The suites on X come with butler service and all the other goodies for $6k...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bizeemom4 said:

I am booked on Edge 7/03. I booked a solo infinity verandah for $2,100 including beverage package, wifi and gratuities. Carnival can't come close to that price for a veranda. I would absolutely book the sky suite over a suite on Mardi Gras. The suites on X come with butler service and all the other goodies for $6k...

Booked a balcony, sorry, veranda on Carnival for $810 for two, 8 day cruise, total. Includes drinks on us. I'm happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Pretty sure it's a requirement of the departure port (Seattle and the California ports),

not Alaska

The only sailings allowed according to the law exempting cruises to Alaska temporarily from the PVSA are from Seattle, none from any California port/

On 5/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

Even if I were a multi-millionaire I would not spend $58k/pp for a week on a cruise ship - ANY cruise ship. That is so opposite my moral compass it almost seems offensive.

I agree. I honestly probably wouldn't do more than a balcony even if I had millions. 

I do somewhat understand why some people opt for these rooms though. If you have the money, maybe you want to throw together a special occasion for family and/or friends, especially as you get up there in age. It might be a great memory, well worth it. I've been a part of a few family trips in my years. Once you factor in multiple rooms, food, drinks, entertainment, etc it adds up fast. What's a few more thousand if you have it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Booked a balcony, sorry, veranda on Carnival for $810 for two, 8 day cruise, total. Includes drinks on us. I'm happy.

That is an amazing rate. I have not seen anything close to that lately. Good job.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, ontheweb said:

I don't think so. I think it is an ant-Carnival bias often felt by those who have not sailed on Carnival.

I admit to once having that, and I let it affect how I felt on our first Carnival cruise. But, on our second I had a blast.

Agree. We have sailed on 20 different Carnival ships. Not all were great. However, most were or we would not ahve sailed on that many. Love the Fahrenheit steak houses. Non better. Always Carnival for Halloween. Others were not that great.