Help with Cococay Decision

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

What ship are you on?

Freedom of the Seas. There’s so much on the ship it makes my head spin. Too much for three days, anyway. We are going for a wedding party. 

33 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Freedom of the Seas. There’s so much on the ship it makes my head spin. Too much for three days, anyway. We are going for a wedding party. 

We've done Freedom many times, and if it were DW and me, we'd stay onboard and just enjoy the ship. There's a great outdoor promenade on Freedom that goes all the way around the ship with plenty of lounge chairs if you want to just veg out and enjoy the empty ship. If you do decide to go ashore, take the previous advice and head left once you get off the ship and go over to the "Chill Island" beach. It is the quietest beach area on Coco Cay, and there are plenty of places to find umbrellas and shade there (and it's free). We've done the Coco Beach Club, and it was marginally worth the cost when we went ($65/pp), but anything more than that would be a stretch. The beach there is tiny, and the comfortable lounge chairs around their pool go quickly. The lunch was really good, but no better than what you'd find onboard if you chose not to go ashore.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone. We’re so much closer to making a decision. Leaning toward just grabbing a couple of umbrella chairs and when we’re ready, heading back to the ship. 

It is so helpful to hear from people who have already been there and can point out options. 

28 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Thanks, everyone. We’re so much closer to making a decision. Leaning toward just grabbing a couple of umbrella chairs and when we’re ready, heading back to the ship. 

It is so helpful to hear from people who have already been there and can point out options. 

One thing I forgot, but over on the Chill Beach side (largest beach on the island) there is a great little burger stand (free), and a re-designed buffet area as well (also free). If you like snorkeling and have your own gear, that is also where the snorkel area is as well.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We are two people also and have done both the loungers and cabanas at Chill Island several times.  We really do enjoy the cabana.  There is a cabana attendant who will get you your lunch and bring you drinks.  The Cabana comes with 6 ( I think) bottles of Evian water. You will have two of those floating rafts also. You can lock up your valuables when you want to swim.  The beach is steps away and is beautiful.  It is a splurge but we've enjoyed it.  

The lounge chairs are also very comfortable and you can get a nice shady area and chill out just the same.  Just have to get your own lunch!! You can come and go whenever you please and not feel obligated to stay the entire day because you purchased a cabana.  One thing to consider is if it rains... you will be stuck with the cost of the cabana.  It does rain there occasionally but it just usually leaves as fast as it comes.  Which ever you choose, you will love it.  PS a lot of things are closed on the ship when in port.  Not the pool of course but shops are closed.  

2 hours ago, mek said:

Is there easy access to everything at the Beach Club for a person with mobility issues?  My husband needs a transport chair to get around and if there is pavement then I'm good to be able to push him  but we have to go through sand, then that is a problem.

It seems so long ago but last time there was Jan 2020 and I do believe there is sandy area to get to the beach club.     Once in the beach club you would be fine to get around.   You can take little shuttle bus from the ship to the pier then to their "train station" then take that to the beach club and short walk to entrance to of the club.    

33 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It seems so long ago but last time there was Jan 2020 and I do believe there is sandy area to get to the beach club.     Once in the beach club you would be fine to get around.   You can take little shuttle bus from the ship to the pier then to their "train station" then take that to the beach club and short walk to entrance to of the club.    

Very difficult for him to walk in sand, so that might not work for us.

My first visit to Coco Cay will be in just over two weeks but, based on all the other private islands and pre-Perfect Day, it's highly likely you will be able to find a spot on the beach that suits you.  Near the crowds, away from the crowds.

My real advice though, there are plenty of vidoes on YouTube showing every spot on Coco Cay HD detail.  Take an hour and watch a bunch in at least 1.25x.

I've booked one day at Thrills and one day at Coco Beach Club.