The Daily for Sunday May 30, 2021

richwmn

I got to the daily too late to post the last couple of days - a combination of outdoor tennis restarting (my rust has rust after not playing for over a year!), yard/garden work, and grocery shopping...

Niall and Emilee are coming over today. She is a vegetarian and iffy grilling weather for today made menu planning a bit of a challenge. I decided on Ratatouille, roasted Yukon gold potatoes, and shrimp po' boys. I grilled a bunch of veggies (eggplant, zucchini, yellow crook neck, mushroom, onion, cob corn, green pepper, and carrots) yesterday while the weather was nice. They get cut up and simmered/baked with stewed tomatoes today. I will grill the shrimp between raindrops (or fry them indoors if there are downpours). They will go into buns toasted with garlic butter and topped with fresh tomato, shredded lettuce, and a spicy remoulade or aioli. Fresh peaches and blueberries in puff pastry shells for dessert (topped with whipped cream of course)!

@baltic17and @kazu - Happy Birthdays!

58 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thank you to all for the anniversary wishes yesterday. We went to Cora’s for lunch to celebrate.

Happy anniversary a day late. We have enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the Cora's in Peterborough, Ontario a few times - almost too many menu choices!

• Like 20

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

I don't think my flowers need water due to the rain the last couple of days, but I will check on them.  My neighbors are all fine and I wave to them as I pass by when I do my walk through the neighborhood.  Not sure how I'll be creative today.  

Happy Birthday @baltic17.  Enjoy your day!

I love corn on the grill, but don't have it too often.   The first time I had it, I remember we soaked it for a long time so the outer leaves didn't catch fire on the grill.  This corn would be great along with our burgers and hot dogs.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-corn-on-cob-with-kimchi-mayo-and-scallions-7500270

Grilled Corn on the cob with Kimchi mayo.jpeg

I love corn on the cob  but I have never had it grilled.  We had a priest from Tanzania living with last year and he could not believe we put butter on corn on the cob.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Happy Memorial Day!  Always try to be creative, water my flowers daily, and hope I am a good neighbor.  Interesting group of quotes.  I love grilled corn on the cob, but not with mayo and scallions.  Happy Birthday @baltic17

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Hot Buttered Rum:

Ingredients
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 ounces dark or aged rum
  • 6 ounces hot water
  • Cinnamon stick, for garnish (optional)
Directions

In mixing bowl, combine butter, vanilla extract, sugar, spices and salt. Beat until well combined.

In heat-proof glass or mug, combine aged rum with 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) spiced butter mixture. Remaining batter can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for future use.

Top with hot water and stir until ingredients are well incorporated. Garnish with cinnamon stick if preferred.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 7.30.34 AM.png

This is a new drink on me.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

On December 4, 2020 @summer slope gave us a slightly different recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. Both sound good.

Hot Buttered Rum

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch salt
3/4 cup spiced rum
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish

Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

This also sounds good, though I must admit I have never imbibed this drink.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the collection of day!  I’ll try to be creative as I arrange my planters and our neighbours are so appreciated.  A small community of caring here ♥️ Of course, I’ll celebrate water a flower day, transplants have to be watered before they go in 😉 

0FB2E667-E082-4785-996B-80965589FA47.jpeg.a18df2187c9e1c8c0964493377e0ba2d.jpeg

What an interesting collection of quotes today!  I think I like Hazliett’s the best.  The meal sounds great but there’s lots of leftovers or it will be take out.  I have this rule that says I shouldn’t have to cook on my birthday 😉 

@baltic17Happy Birthday!!! 🎂 🥳

We haven’t been to today’s port but we have been to São Paulo.  Had to get there from Rio to fly home.  What we saw of it was not impressive.  My pictures are pre-digital so hopefully someone else will post pics.

I think last night was the end of the frost warnings (I hope).  I’ll check the hourly forecasts but, assuming I am right, my babies are going in their pots.  It’s going to be do or die I fear as it’s been to cold to move them in and out as much as I normally would.  They’ll die in their small containers if they remain much longer. I’ve never seen such a cold spring in many years.  This happened to me yesterday when I came home with some unexpected plants:

F7F3B2C8-F519-4C5F-84D2-B0A82CA9F19F.thumb.jpeg.2a1c8f7ebd240d6296b00acd212e8ce3.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

• Kakalina and prayers for her palliative care
  • Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication
  • Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas
  • smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issue
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • RIP Gavin MacLeod known to many as Captain Merrill Stubing of the Love Boat

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - lots of you have been getting rain.  Don’t forget the best time to weed is after a rain when the ground is soft and the weeds come out easier.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

3615D65F-81E0-4881-83ED-43106857B521.jpeg.b757d8e250caf6a47445b077c189d2d2.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷

Jacqui:

Thank you for listing those with an acute need for prayers.

• Like 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. 

Good days. Sunday is my day to water my indoor plants. Creativity is great, as are good neighbors.

I'll pass on the meal, but take the drink and wine. Going out to eat for the first time this afternoon!

I haven't been to today's port. I appreciate pictures from those who have been there.

It's cold! We broke a record yesterday. On that date the lowest high was 55F in 1897; our high was 51F yesterday. We may make 58F today, then it's supposed to warm up.

@baltic17Happy Birthday! Enjoy NYC.

@kazu Happy Birthday!

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  We have some very creative people here, especially @DeeniEncinitas and @Horizon chaser 1957.  A salute to helpful neighbors.  No need to water anything this weekend, nature is taking care of that.  A great selection of quotes today.  My favorite is the one by Jessel.  I know I've been to Santos, can't remember if it's HAL or Crystal or both.  I'll take the corn but pass on the extras.  My alternative is Orange and Grapefruit Medley, Prime Rib of Beef au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam May 30, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard rsldonk

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

smitty34877 supporting half sister Tana and her son

A great seaplane experience by Cruising-along and family

Birthday getaway for baltic17

Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds

Welcome home StLouisCruisers after a bittersweet visit with her sister

A loving and compassionate home for Nan

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Celebration and Shout Out List.  Roy, I really like your meal alternative.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am between loads of laundry and a little too early for DH's plan to trim the shrubs so here's a couple pictures of Santos.  

It was February 16, 2015 and overnight our ship had been decorated for Carnival.enhance

enhance

We docked in Santos in a commercial area which is not unexpected on a cruise.  It was cloudy and would rain a little when we left our port, but we headed off the ship to walk around this new to us destination.  We walked for miles that day.  The first thing we came across was this massive statue.enhance

Santos City Hallenhance

The Coffee Stock Exchangeenhance

The coffee cafe inside the building.  I don't drink coffee and DH hadn't started drinking it either at the time.  Now he has a cup or two every day - a late in life habit.enhance

I loved the ships above the doorway here.  The plaque on the wall described this as the Santos Trade Association building.enhance

An electric trolley car pulling a trailer behind it.enhance

Next we saw a caravan of trucks pulling floats behind them.  From my Google search it says the parade was held in Santos on the 14th, two days earlier.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here is the Portuguese Cultural Centerenhance

And here we have the Santos Cathedralenhance

enhance

enhance

Soon we were heading back to the Ruby Princess.  However when we got close to the ship we were stopped by a train blocking the path and had to wait for quite a while before it moved out of the wayenhance

It rained just before leaving the port of Santos.  I still took photos at sail away.  I should have had an IPhone camera at the time because these few photos from my camera aren't all that sharp.enhance

enhance

Looks like ferries taking people and their cars home.enhance

enhance

enhance

More than six years since we were there.  It feels like so long ago now.  From checking my confirmation for our Grand South America/Antarctica cruise it seems we will be visiting Santos again on Feb. 18, 2022.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing the photos.  The Santos Cathedral was very nice.

• Like 7

Rich:  Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.  This year Trinity Sunday falls on May 30th.  When I was a boy and young man MEMORIAL DAY was always May 30th.  I hope every one has a great Sunday. Thanks to all who posted on this thread and also the many more who took the time to read this thread.

• Like 11

We have never cruised to Sao Paolo, but once stopped overnight there flying home from Rio.  The person behind the airline desk suggested a hotel and wrote the name, but when we approached the taxis, they all spoke Portuguese and we didn't.  DW found one who spoke Japanese and we were able to get to the hotel.  For @atexsix:  The point of the joke is that the lady is not pregnant:  she has been eating too much due to the pandemic!

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Himself said:

Rich:  Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.  This year Trinity Sunday falls on May 30th.  When I was a boy and young man MEMORIAL DAY was always May 30th.  I hope every one has a great Sunday. Thanks to all who posted on this thread and also the many more who took the time to read this thread.

I remember when Memorial Day or Decoration Day was on May 30th, too!  I looked it up and in 1968 a law was passed which made it the last Monday in May so federal employees could have a 3 day holiday.  I think that takes away from celebrating it solely to honor our members of the armed forces who served our country and died in the performance of their duties.  I guess that makes me old fashioned!

• Like 14

Good morning, all.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Jacqui, and all who post.  I read every post and want to respond to each one and then I forget ....  Happy birthday to @kazu, @baltic17, Happy Belated Anniversary to @Horizon chaser 1957, and prayers today for all those who need them, especially @StLouisCruisers and @smitty34877 .  Pat's birthday is tomorrow, but we are celebrating today and we suddenly remembered that he has a colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday, and tomorrow he will be on a liquid diet and prepping for the procedure.  What a thing to happen for his big day!   And he will be grilling a steak for us this evening.  DD thinks he is anaemic as he is always tired, so she insists we have mimosas with the steak....

We were in Santos in 2019 on the Prinsendam's Grand SA, and  Santos was our first stop after BA.  We were just getting used to the heat and humidity, and the ship had cancelled all their tours to Sao Paolo as there were demonstrations expected.  We expected that our private tour would just stay in Santos, but the guide and driver decided it would be safe to go to Sao Paolo.  We enjoyed the day very much, except that one of the ladies on the tour had a new "platinum" iPhone, and when we were crossing a street someone knocked her down and grabbed the iPhone.  Her husband and the guide went chasing after the thief and around a corner, evidently a street person tripped the thief and they were able to catch up and get the iPhone back.  Needless to say, after that the lady only took her husband's old black iPhone ashore for picture taking!

I have tons of pictures, I'll take up a few posts to add them!  First we went to an art museum in the centre of town in a huge park, mainly to go up on the roof and gaze at the city all around us.  But the museum was interesting itself, even an installation made by Yoko Ono.

P1060666.thumb.JPG.f24d3b229e40ab5a8be3ebfe8e3bb18e.JPG

On the road to Sao Paolo - I thought the trees might be jacarandas, but not sure.  They should be bluer.

P1070297.thumb.JPG.ede4309e04a5d21358e112b466f2dc15.JPG

In the art gallery

P1070300.thumb.JPG.33ddd6a027d69934880ab2ef4453078f.JPG

Yoko Ono's art...

P1070309.thumb.JPG.445ba5ee219910a90021db58e3249891.JPG

Views from the roof

P1060673.thumb.JPG.cb13c627eeb9bd45b42ce24ea5ea2eef.JPG

P1060670.thumb.JPG.bfe1ccde48f7db963d37aa541b1ea3eb.JPG

And they love their graffiti in Brazil - these were in the parking lot under the museum done by a famous Brazilian graffiti artist, I can't remember his name.

P1070312.thumb.JPG.4f7b63fc0d62afc5f2470f4ee15b5944.JPG

P1060691.thumb.JPG.fcb4355cc1c01eb67d74074be93881a8.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank goodness all the yard duties are finished for the day.  It seems like all I do is bend over while working out there!

While I was bent over I took a photo of each of the two types of flowers blooming in the front yard.  Here is one of the gardenias.enhance

And here is one of the daylilies that I have out front.  I wish whoever picked the plants for this house (builder's landscaper) had chosen one that blooms all summer.  These bloom one week out of the year.  They are scrawny little things too.  I do like the color however.  I just envy the rest of the neighbors who have Stella D'oro blooming prolifically all summer.  enhance

I think this one was still opening.  You can see the horrible pine straw mulch they use in our area.  It's so ugly and when you pick a weed out of the bed of straw you end up with pine straw in your fingers and have to untangle the weed from the straw.  Makes extra work!  

Okay, I'm finished complaining.  Carry on.🌺

• Like 24

Then we went to the central market, which had beautiful stained glass windows, and was very interesting.  We had lunch there, a kind of empanada which we shared, and for desert at another stand, a Portuguese custard tart.  Yummy.

P1070342.thumb.JPG.5c26ec79c54f528a75c50f26dd503b33.JPG

P1070331.thumb.JPG.888d94dfd4eb4a30cd86bcb3890ceb44.JPG

After that we walked around the downtown area a bit, and ended at the cathedral and the plaza in front of the cathedral (it was in that area the lady was mugged).

P1060721.thumb.JPG.db8ddb8500237e9dedc622df391bea2d.JPG

P1060723.thumb.JPG.e973eb82f061405f43db628a488b9ccd.JPG

P1070385.thumb.JPG.cd5e6b21c03cbd05d9054bbf042bba4f.JPG

P1060727.thumb.JPG.b396d243f062128c90ada9ff1fdf27da.JPG

P1070363.thumb.JPG.5ce1eee437ff857ed6e728f01ef11ec5.JPG

Sorry, the empanada got moved out of order!

P1060703.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the collection of day!  I’ll try to be creative as I arrange my planters and our neighbours are so appreciated.  A small community of caring here ♥️ Of course, I’ll celebrate water a flower day, transplants have to be watered before they go in 😉 

0FB2E667-E082-4785-996B-80965589FA47.jpeg.a18df2187c9e1c8c0964493377e0ba2d.jpeg

What an interesting collection of quotes today!  I think I like Hazliett’s the best.  The meal sounds great but there’s lots of leftovers or it will be take out.  I have this rule that says I shouldn’t have to cook on my birthday 😉 

@baltic17Happy Birthday!!! 🎂 🥳

We haven’t been to today’s port but we have been to São Paulo.  Had to get there from Rio to fly home.  What we saw of it was not impressive.  My pictures are pre-digital so hopefully someone else will post pics.

I think last night was the end of the frost warnings (I hope).  I’ll check the hourly forecasts but, assuming I am right, my babies are going in their pots.  It’s going to be do or die I fear as it’s been to cold to move them in and out as much as I normally would.  They’ll die in their small containers if they remain much longer. I’ve never seen such a cold spring in many years.  This happened to me yesterday when I came home with some unexpected plants:

F7F3B2C8-F519-4C5F-84D2-B0A82CA9F19F.thumb.jpeg.2a1c8f7ebd240d6296b00acd212e8ce3.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

• Kakalina and prayers for her palliative care
  • Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication
  • Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas
  • smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issue
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • RIP Gavin MacLeod known to many as Captain Merrill Stubing of the Love Boat

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - lots of you have been getting rain.  Don’t forget the best time to weed is after a rain when the ground is soft and the weeds come out easier.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

3615D65F-81E0-4881-83ED-43106857B521.jpeg.b757d8e250caf6a47445b077c189d2d2.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷

Happy Birthday, Jacqui! Wishing you all good things on this spin around the sun!

• Like 13

After out "walkabout" in Sao Paolo, we got back on the van to visit another part of town which was their "graffiti village"; every building was decorated, head to toe, with street art.

On the way

P1070389.thumb.JPG.8a3119af57a13375a3a64572d0579bdc.JPG

Some of the decorated houses

P1070392.thumb.JPG.2e066b6aa57d4dbdacfe0e8fe608d63a.JPG

P1070394.thumb.JPG.669afdb60e90550613becf566bd19d33.JPG

P1070402.thumb.JPG.05133a9307816ad969b0de03359be51b.JPG

P1070409.thumb.JPG.dca569c6fa403ba168e078d27110572b.JPG

P1060745.thumb.JPG.6bac741bc9ebafa33388a32bb4a1b915.JPG

P1070413.thumb.JPG.df47eee3c6c1d4f175b1d6c09be35492.JPG

P1070398.JPG

Then, back to the ship after a very interesting day.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

The point of the joke is that the lady is not pregnant:  she has been eating too much due to the pandemic!

Or drinking too much 😉 😂 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  

Happy birthday Jacqui!   You should most definitely not have to cook!   Enjoy your day!  
happy birthday @baltic17!   Have a great day! 
Love that Gardenia @StLouisCruisers  welcoming you home!    
Well the flowers are blooming here too! 

E10AA6EF-CED3-4236-8694-E71B6CA452B1.jpeg

C8C12C73-438C-42FD-B995-4B6F948C8365.jpeg

BDC404C9-AC7B-4CBB-A95A-399DBA47C6DF.jpeg

Gorgeous.  I must get some pictures before all mine fade!

• Like 9