Any news what happens if your ports are closed?

furf_n_slo

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Your point is well taken sanger...but....If I want to go to a specific port only to become acquainted with it, and not spend several day there,  then cruising there provides the most appropriate means to visit the destination, while not spending more time there than I am willing to spend. 

With the understanding that you may miss that port. So if the cruise would feel like a "waste" because you didn't go to the one place you really wanted to go... you probably shouldn't travel there on a cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

With the understanding that you may miss that port. So if the cruise would feel like a "waste" because you didn't go to the one place you really wanted to go... you probably shouldn't travel there on a cruise.

2 fatal assumptions. 1.) "May miss that port"...but then maybe not. Worth a gamble to me. "Waste"...I think not. Any cruise I take is NEVER a waste. I'll have a remarkably great time, no matter what. 

Therefore I should take that cruise. :classic_wink: 

34 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

2 fatal assumptions. 1.) "May miss that port"...but then maybe not. Worth a gamble to me. "Waste"...I think not. Any cruise I take is NEVER a waste. I'll have a remarkably great time, no matter what. 

Therefore I should take that cruise. :classic_wink: 

I didn’t make assumptions. Any port on a cruise may be missed is a fact. And there was a conditional statement that only applies in a handful of situations of feeling that the cruise was a waste due to missing port. It may sound silly but I’ve seen posters who said ‘I’m taking this cruise to visit family in belize’ or ‘I’m taking this cruise to getting married in st thomas’. So yes, if the purchase of the cruise was due to one activity that you could only do in one port, then it would be a waste if that couldn’t happen. And again, a cruise is the worst way to go to that place to do that thing.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

We dont even know if we have to do carnival only excursions.

If you book a private excursion, I'd for sure only book refundable. Even if you can book private excursions it's best to book refundable. My last vista cruise, early Nov, hit a offseason cold blast. It was 62 degrees in belize. Those who booked thru carnival were trying to cancel ... those who booked privately were miserable in the water I heard. Sometimes saving $5 to book privately isnt all its cracked up to be. We didnt miss the port, but it was sure cold for water excursions. 

Carnivals policy if a port is missed is to refund your port fees.... nothing else. I've missed a lot of ports. You click to agree to these terms. 

Not sure what excursions you have done in the past, but every non-ship excursion we have done has been considerably cheaper and considerably less crowded.  I do it more for less idiots I have to deal with on the excursion.  The money savings is merely a bonus!!!  A perfect example is the Waterfall Excursion in Amber Cove.  We did more waterfalls for less money with proably 1/10th of the people.  Same with snorkeling and Sting Ray City in Grabd Cayman.  It was way cheaper and we had maybe 12 people vs 50-60 on the ship tours.  Maybe you like your other passengers that much, but not me!!!

Edited by moondog73

9 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

Not sure what excursions you have done in the past, but every non-ship excursion we have done has been considerably cheaper and considerably less crowded.  I do it more for less idiots I have to deal with on the excursion.  The money savings is merely a bonus!!!  A perfect example is the Waterfall Excursion in Amber Cove.  We did more waterfalls for less money with proably 1/10th of the people.  Same with snorkeling and Sting Ray City in Grabd Cayman.  It was way cheaper and we had maybe 12 people vs 50-60 on the ship tours.  Maybe you like your other passengers that much, but not me!!!

Your reply doesnt seem addressed to what I said. 

Some previous cruises, like msc they had to do bubble excursions. Book with the cruiselines or a approved excursion. I didnt say anything about which is better. Merely stated we dont know what cdc will have in place by the time cruising resumes. I also suggested booking refundable. 

My roll call is waiting to know if they can book private excursions. One already booked mr sanchos beach in cozumel. Fingers crossed cdc gets out of our way and allows it.

If private is better is another subject. I'd say depends on a lot of things. I'm solo and it's hard to book a private excursion in many cases for one person. Or it's a lot more for one, so I do often book thru the cruiseline. I like to be around other cruises, so I dont mind groups. Covid may be a game changer for me for a while. But normally i like group excursions.

Yeah I once went on a cruise when the bird flu was going on, I got around 70 bucks back on my bill because we didnt dock. Same happened on a Hawaiian cruise where it was just to windy. I think i got 50 back in credit. For both of these cruises they were unexpected. 

Edited by KyloRen

On 5/31/2021 at 1:44 PM, firefly333 said:

My roll call is waiting to know if they can book private excursions. One already booked mr sanchos beach in cozumel. Fingers crossed cdc gets out of our way and allows it.

Individual ports decide what they will or won't allow, not the CDC. If a port doesn't allow something, it isn't allowed. If the port allows, but the CDC doesn't, oh well.

37 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Individual ports decide what they will or won't allow, not the CDC. If a port doesn't allow something, it isn't allowed. If the port allows, but the CDC doesn't, oh well.

I agree. The ultimate decision is left, rightly so, up to the ports of call in the country that you visit . 

Cruise lines are not 100% sure which ports are open yet. Their priority is to get ships moving with passengers. Itineraries are going to change. Primary ports that are probably open when cruising starts is Cozumel, Jamaica, OSJ, St Thomas, St Maarten, private islands in the Bahamas, and maybe a few others. The ports that are closed will probably be for much of 2021. Grand Cayman said they will not open to cruises in 2021 at all. Others may be in the same situation. 

I don't expect cruise lines to offer free cancelation because of which ports are open or not. I think that window of opportunity is open right now for most of the early cruises. Trip insurance really will not cover a missed port and good luck trying to file anything with them. Most of the trip insurance does not cover anything covid related. A port not open because of their covid protocols will fall into that category.