American Diner vs O'Sheehans's/The Local

robcolem

Hi All,   Anyone have experience with the American Diner and how it compares to O'Sheehans/The Local?  I thought the American Diner was another complimentary eatery until I saw prices on the menu.  The menus, to me at least, looks comparable to what O'Sheehans/The Local offer but with a few more items.  

54 minutes ago, robcolem said:

Hi All,   Anyone have experience with the American Diner and how it compares to O'Sheehans/The Local?  I thought the American Diner was another complimentary eatery until I saw prices on the menu.  The menus, to me at least, looks comparable to what O'Sheehans/The Local offer but with a few more items.  

American Diner is an A La Carte specialty restaurant.  You will have to pay to dine there.  O'Sheehans and the Local are Complimentary and open 24hrs.  I tend to stick with the the Local (complimentary)  given the similarities in cuisine.  If you need a late night snack...the Local is the spot, especially if you have been enjoying libations throughout the evening.

• Like 1

The only thing I like about the American Diner is the open air venue.    It's a Margaritaville At Sea wannabe.....

(We usually only went to Margaritaville for the complimentary breakfast.)   

Still missing the Flamingo Grill & Uptown Grills on the Away ships☹️

• Like 2

Totally agree with most of the comments here.  I think the American Diner was a quick replacement when the deal with Jimmy Buffet ended.  I think the deal ended and wasn't renewed with Jimmy Buffet because every time I cruised an away ship the least used food venue all day every day was Margaritaville.  I don't think the American Diner is going to turn that trend around.  Sadly, they need a new concept for the area, but wont since most of the ships were just converted to the new concept that is the American Diner just before Covid hit.  

4 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

The only thing I like about the American Diner is the open air venue.    It's a Margaritaville At Sea wannabe.....

(We usually only went to Margaritaville for the complimentary breakfast.)   

Still missing the Flamingo Grill & Uptown Grills on the Away ships☹️

I agree- they had a free space on the Breakaway and made it into a pay for space- no one would have even known if someone on the Escape would have gone in and taken the food either- they didnt seem like they cared

I can’t answer your question, OP, as to having tried the American Diner vs the included venues, but I am not a fan of O’Sheehans, although enjoyed the Local a few times on Escape.  There is no way I would pay extra for diner cuisine.   

Just now, 3kidsncats said:

I can’t answer your question, OP, as to having tried the American Diner vs the included venues, but I am not a fan of O’Sheehans, although enjoyed the Local a few times on Escape.  There is no way I would pay extra for diner cuisine.   

Aren't O'Sheehans and the Local basically the same thing?

2 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

The menus were different, in my experience.   Granted, my only experience with O Sheehan’s was in early 2016 — never went back because I didn’t care for the food.   The menus may have been updated between then and my experiences at the Local.  

We like both O'Sheehans and The Local for a different less formal meal service.  Good for a late breakfast or lunch.  Great for late night food, too. 

A good place to get a chopped salad, burger, hot dog or something different.  Who knew I would like Bangers & Mash or Shepherd's Pie🤔

• Like 1

I went to M'ville once to use up some OBC. Definitely agree with those who won't use their $$ to eat at its replacement.

13 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Some minor difference in the menu. The biggest I noticed was the wings. 

American Diner is NCL's version of Johnny Rockets or maybe Red Robin.  It's a la carte though the prices aren't outrageous.

O'Sheehans/The Local are pretty much the same thing culinary wise.  Bar food and such.  The decore is what is wildly different.

Flamingo cafe on Getaway was the best.  I can go to Margaritaville anytime and there's one in practically every port now.

• Like 1

Agree with some of the others here, not excited about paying for diner food while on vacation.  We'll stick with O'Sheehans and the Local for that.   We occasionally went to Margaritaville at Sea for drinks and nachos.  Really not interested in  BBQ and Mexican on board, either.  We can get that at home.  I guess they are trying to appeal to families and recreating what Carnival is doing?  We'll stick with Le Bistro, Cagneys and Ocean Blue...

• Like 2