Barbados summer cruises 2021

Jayjay900

16 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Sarah, like you, we're doing our test two days before we depart. Our tests are on Wednesday afternoon, and we have a 7 a.m. Friday flight to Miami for our flight to Barbados that morning -- so we darn well better get our results as promised by the end of the day Thursday! I'm not sure if American will even let us board in Philadelphia if we don't have our test results, or if that will only be checked in Miami. I hope I don't need to pay for Internet service on the PHL-MIA flight to keep checking for our results and then to upload them to the BIMSafe app.

A drink when we get onboard is always welcome, but on this trip, the end of stress about getting there will make it doubly welcome. And will probably require at least a double drink!

FYI, no drinks on American in coach!!  We are flying out Friday night to Miami, and spending the night there before flying into Bridgetown on Saturday morning.  So I think we will be able to get to Miami without test results in hand.  <fingers crossed>

22 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

For those of you who had the nurse do a home visit for testing, how did it go?

Hi Liz - 

We went with StageZero for the nurse coming to our house, and we were happy overall with it.  They were good at confirming the timing, the kits got to us a few days before the visit, and the nurse was friendly and quick in doing the tests.  Only issue I've had with the Barbados requirements is they said "nasal swabs not accepted", yet none of the tests we've had (including StageZero) do any deep insertion to get the sample - it's all been a brief swab around the front of the nose, which is good from a comfort standpoint but not what we were expecting.  Hope this helps!

John

Edited by johng75370
typo
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, jeffbrig said:
On 8/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, jscheff said:

Can anyone on the Odyssey report the number of guests on board this week?  I know the past several weeks they have been averaging around 70 people.  Just wondering how the trend is progressing as we move into September.

I'm going on the 9/20 sailing with two other couples. As of earlier this week when talking to Seabourn, there were only 35 staterooms booked on the ship!

FWIW, we're onboard Odyssey this week and last week.  We had about 80 last week, and this week it's around 120.  Word from the crew is that mid-October onwards the passenger load goes up to 300 or more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Where are you located?

Where are you flying through? If Miami, if you can adjust your connecting flight to have time, there are several sites which do PCR tests with rapid results. I haven't looked into them, but this one near the airport promises results in 30 minutes. 

We live outside of Seattle.  

17 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

We live outside of Seattle.  

We agree that finding a testing site (especially for the standard RT-PCR test required by Barbados) can be a problem.  In fact, we will need to drive nearly 1:20 in each direction to get our test.   But since you live outside Seattle I do think you have lots of options if you simply drive to the Seattle area.  In fact, just a quick Google search brought up this site

Careful Mobile SEA, Concierge Same-Day Covid Testing - Book Online - Urgent Care in Seattle, WA 98109 | Solv (solvhealth.com)

There are quite a few other providers in Seattle although like we needed to do here in PA, one needs to make direct inquiries (i.e. a phone call) to make sure the site does a true standard (RT-PCR) test and will guarantee results in an acceptable time frame.   

Hank

4 hours ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Cruiseej, it looks like you are in Philadelphia. If so, can you share the name and location of the testing facility you are using? 

It's called Test Now and Go. It's a division of Genetworx, which is a major testing lab based in Maryland. They have a location in New York City and one outside of Philadelphia in Malvern. The cost for the PCR test is $100 in Pennsylvania. They promise results in under 24 hours. 

Making an appointment and pre-paying for the test online was fast and simple. I can't vouch for the results until we go there next week!

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We agree that finding a testing site (especially for the standard RT-PCR test required by Barbados) can be a problem.  In fact, we will need to drive nearly 1:20 in each direction to get our test.   But since you live outside Seattle I do think you have lots of options if you simply drive to the Seattle area.  In fact, just a quick Google search brought up this site

Careful Mobile SEA, Concierge Same-Day Covid Testing - Book Online - Urgent Care in Seattle, WA 98109 | Solv (solvhealth.com)

There are quite a few other providers in Seattle although like we needed to do here in PA, one needs to make direct inquiries (i.e. a phone call) to make sure the site does a true standard (RT-PCR) test and will guarantee results in an acceptable time frame.   

Hank

Thanks Hank!  For some reason, my countless searches did not bring this site up but it may be the one!  

14 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

We're having a heck of a time finding a testing facility and the concierge service is not available where we live.  Any suggestions?  We are ready to cancel and are heartbroken.

thanks in advance!

We also live outside of Seattle. Our Dr. did some research. Check out discoveryhealthmd dot com. They have several offices in Seattle including one at Southcenter. Call to confirm but the correct test is one they offer with results as fast as midnight same day.

24 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

It's called Test Now and Go. It's a division of Genetworx, which is a major testing lab based in Maryland. They have a location in New York City and one outside of Philadelphia in Malvern. The cost for the PCR test is $100 in Pennsylvania. They promise results in under 24 hours. 

Making an appointment and pre-paying for the test online was fast and simple. I can't vouch for the results until we go there next week!

Thank you so much! I hope your test is negative and that you have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We also live outside of Seattle. Our Dr. did some research. Check out discoveryhealthmd dot com. They have several offices in Seattle including one at Southcenter. Call to confirm but the correct test is one they offer with results as fast as midnight same day.

Thank you!  This is the one!  My next question, does it have to be within 72 hours or is there some wiggle room?  Do they just look at the day the test was given or the day and time?

32 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

Thank you!  This is the one!  My next question, does it have to be within 72 hours or is there some wiggle room?  Do they just look at the day the test was given or the day and time?

The Barbados Travel protocol says for a Sunday departure, your test must be taken on the Thursday prior at the earliest. Hope this gives you enough wiggle room. The official site does not specify 72 hours.

Had to share this.  We booked a PCR test with a nearby provider (Alliance Health) guaranteeing results in 24-48 hours.  Had the nasopharyngeal PCR test done this morning around 9:30.  Got (negative) test results delivered electronically at 2:30pm.  Wow... now we can relax a bit (and submit results to Barbados).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bahalter said:

Anyone have any insight on rapid PCR tests...I know Barbados says they can't be rapid

My understanding is that "rapid" tests are generally a simple protein detection test - they're performed on the spot, and can even be at-home kits.  As in a rapid antigen test.  On the other hand, a PCR test uses enzymes and repeated thermal cycles to increase/amplify the amount of virus material in the sample and then test if it exceeds a detectable threshold.  Even if you do this in an expedited manner, that's not a "rapid" test.  

But then I look at the Barbados site, and they say they don't want a "Rapid PCR test".  But I can't find any real definition of what is a "Rapid PCR test".  I'm about to submit mine, we'll see what they say...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, Hlitner said:

So this seems to refer to the normal Quest Diagnostic program which you can find on their own web site.  Anyone (this really has little to do with SB) can set up a personal Quest account and generally schedule COVID tests.  However, at least for those of us on Medicare you would normally need a physician's order (prescription) to get the test covered by insurance.  Whether you can get a "script" without having to pay for a physician appointment depends on your own healthcare provider.  One issue I noticed with Quest is that do not schedule appointments on Sundays and whether they are reliable in getting test results on time is an open question.

Hank

We used Quest for our Viking River cruise. Made an appointment through a link in an email from Viking with our To Do list.  Set up an account, answered question, made appointment for a PCR test two weeks ahead of needed date for 8:50 am on a Monday with results at 5:34 am Tuesday.  We're on Medicare with supplemental and it cost us $0.

Edited by fudgbug
added "for PCR test"
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fudgbug said:

We used Quest for our Viking River cruise. Made an appointment through a link in an email from Viking with our To Do list.  Set up an account, answered question, made appointment for a PCR test two weeks ahead of needed date for 8:50 am on a Monday with results at 5:34 am Tuesday.  We're on Medicare with supplemental and it cost us $0.

So I am going to ask a question which might be somewhat of a rhetorical question.  Barbados says under their COVID rules regarding testing that they will NOT ACCEPT Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)

When I look at the Quest web site it specifically says that Quest uses "Drive through Collection" where a person swabs their own nose which is observed!  This would seem to be contrary to the requirements of Barbados.  Since that information was readily available online one would think that Barbados might had an issue with Quest's self collection process.  What do you think?

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So I am going to ask a question which might be somewhat of a rhetorical question.  Barbados says under their COVID rules regarding testing that they will NOT ACCEPT Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)

When I look at the Quest web site it specifically says that Quest uses "Drive through Collection" where a person swabs their own nose which is observed!  This would seem to be contrary to the requirements of Barbados.  Since that information was readily available online one would think that Barbados might had an issue with Quest's self collection process.  What do you think?

Hank

Quest has drive through locations and physical locations.  Our test was done at a physical location.  "Observed self collection"  RT/PCR/TMA (Sars-CoV-2 RNA, QL NAAT) result.

The self-administered Abbott test is simple to take, but the swab only goes 1/2 inch up the nose. The proper one that tickles the brain, I think, would be extremely hard to do properly by yourself. I had the correct one done in March and it was NOT pleasant. I'd be very surprised if their test qualifies.