Advice please

Glenndale

• Hi, we haven’t cruised with Viking before but have lots of cruise experience.

We are looking at Scenic British Isles leaving on the 12th June.

Will those of you who have cruised with them before please give us a quick run down of not to be missed dining experiences and an overall view of what to expect.

What is extra cost?

Are all the DV1 cabins aft facing?

Are sparkling wines offered at no extra charge with meals?

Thanks for any advice / tips you can offer 🙂🤞🏻

We are currently on the Viking Venus Hawaii g for Liverpool. 
This is our firstViking cruise too, having previously cruised with Cunard and Celebrity. 
I would describe the ship as contemporary and very elegant in design. We love it , although it’s a very different experience than our previous cruises. 
We are in a Penthouse Veranda cabin on deck 5 and it is beautiful and very cosy. The bathroom design is superb and I love the heated floor. The shower is large for a cruise ship too. 
There is house wine and beer with lunch and dinner but I believe that sparkling wine would be an extra. The house wines we have tried so far have been perfectly accepted too. 
Not sure about the DV1 cabins being on the aft of the ship, 

we would highly recommend Viking. 

• Like 2

Extra cost: Alcoholic beverages from the bar and non "House" wine and beer.  We usually drink the "house" beer and wine.  We may order  other beers or wine during the cruise.  We find that we do not order enough to purchase the "Silver Spirits Beverage package" (that is an extra cost).

There is no charge for any restaurants or room service. The self-service laundry are no charge.  The laundry rooms contain 4 washers & 4 dryers.  Also 2 irons and ironing boards.

There are extra cost tours offered in each port.

Be sure to join the "Roll Call" for your cruise. Also check for Meet & Mingle (hopefully M&M will be reinstated soon.

We have joined several groups doing private tours. We find other people on the Roll Call for our cruise.

Enjoy your first Viking Cruise.

• Like 1

DV cabins are NOT aft facing. They face port or starboard just like 90% of the cabins.
Extra cost is cocktails (inexpensive mostly) or specialty wines at mealtime. Viking offers one white & one red wine or beer at mealtimes included, else pay per glass when not mealtime.
Specialty restaurants are included at no extra cost. Room service included.
Optional excursions besides the one free Included tour per port are for a fee.
SPA pool, sauna included. SPA personal services for a fee.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JessM66 said:

At the price they are offering the 12th June sailing for, you would be mad not to do it, we are on the 19th June sailing and have paid double the price of the 12th.

Yes I agree an ideal opportunity to try out a new line.

Our last cruise was December 2019 and we’ve had so many cruises cancelled.

We’re not keen to fly at the moment and just need a break and change of scenery.

We need to sort out insurance and had to check that my passport would be valid (less than 6 months left).

Weather looking good too 👍

10 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

DV cabins are NOT aft facing. They face port or starboard just like 90% of the cabins.
Extra cost is cocktails (inexpensive mostly) or specialty wines at mealtime. Viking offers one white & one red wine or beer at mealtimes included, else pay per glass when not mealtime.
Specialty restaurants are included at no extra cost. Room service included.
Optional excursions besides the one free Included tour per port are for a fee.
SPA pool, sauna included. SPA personal services for a fee.

They have DV1s available and these seem all to be located on the stern, I’ll ring tomorrow and check. 
Think we will book tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies.

Do they have handicraft classes on sea days?

Edited by Glenndale

We have a DV1 #4123 aft cabin on 4th floor. There are DV1 cabins between the Explorer suites on deck 3,4,5. But five is under the infinity pool overhang. Other DV1 are on upper decks not, aft.

Cannot wait to sit on the balcony on my cruise around  Bermuda in July.

Check out the ship deck plans on Viking web site.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

We are currently on the Viking Venus Hawaii g for Liverpool. 
This is our firstViking cruise too, having previously cruised with Cunard and Celebrity. 
I would describe the ship as contemporary and very elegant in design. We love it , although it’s a very different experience than our previous cruises. 
We are in a Penthouse Veranda cabin on deck 5 and it is beautiful and very cosy. The bathroom design is superb and I love the heated floor. The shower is large for a cruise ship too. 
There is house wine and beer with lunch and dinner but I believe that sparkling wine would be an extra. The house wines we have tried so far have been perfectly accepted too. 
Not sure about the DV1 cabins being on the aft of the ship, 

we would highly recommend Viking. 

I’ve been told only 50% of passenger capacity on these cruises so presumably it’s easy to book the specialities?

It’s a brand new ship too so everything will be pristine.

I understand that we’ll have to provide saliva samples each morning, are you finding the Covid restrictions ok?

Is there sharing at meal times or do you have to have a 2 top?

Thanks for replying 😀

14 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

They have DV1s available and these seem all to be located on the stern, I’ll ring tomorrow and check. 
Think we will book tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies.

Do they have handicraft classes on sea days?

We have cruised three times with Viking Oceans, a total of over 8 weeks onboard, and would now hate to go back to the mainstream lines.  (We had done almost 30 cruises with a wide variety of cruise lines prior to discovering Viking).  We've had three other Viking cruises cancelled in the last 15 months, including a 5 week one, so you can tell how keen we are!

Even when 930 guests are onboard you constantly walk around saying 'where is everyone?'.  The ships are so light and spacious, with constant views of the water.  And NO dressing up - such a relief from the posturing and pretentious atmosphere on some other ships.  

Red and white wine, beer or sodas, are offered at mealtimes and are topped up as and when you wish.  You can even walk out of the restaurant with your unfinished wine if you wish. 

Viking treats you like an adult.   Towels, books, blankets are strategically placed for guests to use, they trust you to not sneak one into your suitcase!   

The food is amazing wherever you dine.  So much so that much of the time we chose to eat in the World Cafe - something we never ever did on any other line.  Make sure you book in for at least one meal at the Chef's Table - do it early in the cruise so that if you love it you might be able to get a second booking.  It's slightly 'over the top' but a special experience.

No handicraft sessions normally, though on a 4week+ segment of the World cruise a couple of years ago there was a large group of women (myself included) who met each morning in the Wintergarten with their knitting, crochet and sewing projects.

We've stayed in DV4 cabins each time we've sailed.  The first time, it was a room near the lifts, and we were slightly anxious that there might be some noise.  We never heard a single thing!  So the following two trips we booked similar cabins deliberately - being near the stairs and lifts made it so easy to get around.

You're making a great decision - but be warned, this cruise might be inexpensive, but you could soon be hooked on Viking and never able to set foot on a mainstream ship again!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

We have cruised three times with Viking Oceans, a total of over 8 weeks onboard, and would now hate to go back to the mainstream lines.  (We had done almost 30 cruises with a wide variety of cruise lines prior to discovering Viking).  We've had three other Viking cruises cancelled in the last 15 months, including a 5 week one, so you can tell how keen we are!

Even when 930 guests are onboard you constantly walk around saying 'where is everyone?'.  The ships are so light and spacious, with constant views of the water.  And NO dressing up - such a relief from the posturing and pretentious atmosphere on some other ships.  

Red and white wine, beer or sodas, are offered at mealtimes and are topped up as and when you wish.  You can even walk out of the restaurant with your unfinished wine if you wish. 

Viking treats you like an adult.   Towels, books, blankets are strategically placed for guests to use, they trust you to not sneak one into your suitcase!   

The food is amazing wherever you dine.  So much so that much of the time we chose to eat in the World Cafe - something we never ever did on any other line.  Make sure you book in for at least one meal at the Chef's Table - do it early in the cruise so that if you love it you might be able to get a second booking.  It's slightly 'over the top' but a special experience.

No handicraft sessions normally, though on a 4week+ segment of the World cruise a couple of years ago there was a large group of women (myself included) who met each morning in the Wintergarten with their knitting, crochet and sewing projects.

We've stayed in DV4 cabins each time we've sailed.  The first time, it was a room near the lifts, and we were slightly anxious that there might be some noise.  We never heard a single thing!  So the following two trips we booked similar cabins deliberately - being near the stairs and lifts made it so easy to get around.

You're making a great decision - but be warned, this cruise might be inexpensive, but you could soon be hooked on Viking and never able to set foot on a mainstream ship again!

Thanks for that Jammy Bun, our cruise line of choice is Oceania so do understand the ethos of Viking.

Just desperate for a break but don’t want to fly and couldn’t consider the mainstream lines, the ships are just so huge and impersonal.

• Like 1

The best coffee drinks on Viking are in the Living Room Cafe (Deck 1?).

You can check the daily menus in your cabin over the "TV". We always checked the main Dining Room and the World Cafe to decide where to eat. If you like ice cream check out the World Cafe ice cream bar in World Cafe. Flavors change everyday. (No extra charge)

We often order a beer or wine at the end of a meal to carry back to our cabin.

You will find a small refrig in the DV and higher level cabins.  It will be stocked with soft drinks, maybe some wine and beer. Soft drinks, nuts and chocolate bars in the refrig are no charge.

Room Service is quick. Hot item will be hot and cold items will be cold. Once Room Service  called to ask if they could deliver15 minutes early.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

No handicraft classes.

I think it’s one of those…..it depends.  Into the Midnight Sun two summers ago, we had needlework classes on two sea days. Supplies were provided.  Very enjoyable.  

5 hours ago, Glenndale said:

I’ve been told only 50% of passenger capacity on these cruises so presumably it’s easy to book the specialities?

It’s a brand new ship too so everything will be pristine.

I understand that we’ll have to provide saliva samples each morning, are you finding the Covid restrictions ok?

Is there sharing at meal times or do you have to have a 2 top?

We booked 12th June sailing while on Viking Venus last week. Wonderful as ever and too cheap to refuse. Only 274 on our sailing. Cruise consultant on board expecting 200 or so next week due to short notice.

Covid restrictions no problem, masks while moving around inside but not when seated. 2ml saliva sample each morning ( which is a lot of saliva) and simple 4 question health questionnaire. Only allowed off for Viking excursions.

Tables for 4 and 6 available, sharing no problem.

No handicrafts, plenty of lectures if that's your thing (not mine).

Mamsens same as ever.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Glenndale said:

• Hi, we haven’t cruised with Viking before but have lots of cruise experience.

We are looking at Scenic British Isles leaving on the 12th June.

Will those of you who have cruised with them before please give us a quick run down of not to be missed dining experiences and an overall view of what to expect.

What is extra cost?

Are all the DV1 cabins aft facing?

Are sparkling wines offered at no extra charge with meals?

Thanks for any advice / tips you can offer 🙂🤞🏻

All the information is pre-covid so YMMV

Not to be missed Dining:

-Grilled lamb chops for breakfast in The Restaurant 

-Pistachio Raisin Bun at The Living Room Bar

-Seared tuna from the pool grill makes a great protein to add to a salad made at the World Cafe. Timing usually works for us to order the tuna then have our salad made and come back and pick up the tuna 

-If you’re in a V stateroom (where soda isn’t replenished daily) ask for an unopened can when you leave lunch. 
-Chef’s Table has rotating menus so hard to know what you will be having. But we love the Lotus Menu and the English Menu. 
-if they offer chilled pea soup, order it. We had it at dinner one day, order a 2nd bowl and had another delivered to our room and kept in the fridge drawer for lunch the next day 

-eat lightly at least one day and enjoy tea...it’s a good evening to plan on a light or non-existent supper

Extra Cost

-cocktails-standard mix drink is under $8. Silver Spirits package is a better value if you tend to drink 2.5 drinks or more a day 

-wine, beer or soda other than at meals

-optional excursions

-cooking classes (if offered)

Sparkling Wine

I don’t think that sparkling is included at meals. If you have the Silver Spirits package it covers a sparkling by the glass but not champagne. 

Tips

-Download the Viking App before you leave home and log on as soon as you are aboard. Viking usually has someone at the maitre’d station at the World Cafe on embarkation to make/change reservations. This is usually long and unpleasant. We have found the app to work much faster and it’s more relaxing. 
-download the art app if you enjoy learning about the art about the ship. 

-use the App or the stateroom tv to checkout menus at every venue for your while cruise (including tea)

-if there is something you want/need, ask. Viking tries to make you happy. 

-we rearrange furniture in our V or DV staterooms. We move the coffee table to the corner behind the chairs and turn the chairs 90° to each other. Creates more floor space and eases access to the balcony. (See before/after photos below)

-if you don’t pack light, don’t drink coffee in the room, and are in a DV ask your steward to remove the Nespresso machine to create more storage space

-if your bathroom is too warm, turn the floor heating system down. 
-go find the thread about new to Viking-start reading with the most recent posts

Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

It does not seem to be widely known but you can opt for the house sparkling wine at mealtimes. At least that was certainly the case on our most recent, Midnight Sun, trip in 2019

As we were not on the beverage package I asked in the restaurant if the house sparkling wine was available as an alternative to the red and white with our meal. The answer was yes and we then drank it on several occasions, without charge. Obviously I can't guarantee the policy has not changed but do ask!!!!

Really glad to hear you have booked, I am sure you will be as happy and bouncy as Tigger once on-board.

😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

All the information is pre-covid so YMMV

Not to be missed Dining:

-Grilled lamb chops for breakfast in The Restaurant 

-Pistachio Raisin Bun at The Living Room Bar

-Seared tuna from the pool grill makes a great protein to add to a salad made at the World Cafe. Timing usually works for us to order the tuna then have our salad made and come back and pick up the tuna 

-If you’re in a V stateroom (where soda isn’t replenished daily) ask for an unopened can when you leave lunch. 
-Chef’s Table has rotating menus so hard to know what you will be having. But we love the Lotus Menu and the English Menu. 
-if they offer chilled pea soup, order it. We had it at dinner one day, order a 2nd bowl and had another delivered to our room and kept in the fridge drawer for lunch the next day 

-eat lightly at least one day and enjoy tea...it’s a good evening to plan on a light or non-existent supper

Extra Cost

-cocktails-standard mix drink is under $8. Silver Spirits package is a better value if you tend to drink 2.5 drinks or more a day 

-wine, beer or soda other than at meals

-optional excursions

-cooking classes (if offered)

Sparkling Wine

I don’t think that sparkling is included at meals. If you have the Silver Spirits package it covers a sparkling by the glass but not champagne. 

Tips

-Download the Viking App before you leave home and log on as soon as you are aboard. Viking usually has someone at the maitre’d station at the World Cafe on embarkation to make/change reservations. This is usually long and unpleasant. We have found the app to work much faster and it’s more relaxing. 
-download the art app if you enjoy learning about the art about the ship. 

-use the App or the stateroom tv to checkout menus at every venue for your while cruise (including tea)

-if there is something you want/need, ask. Viking tries to make you happy. 

-we rearrange furniture in our V or DV staterooms. We move the coffee table to the corner behind the chairs and turn the chairs 90° to each other. Creates more floor space and eases access to the balcony. (See before/after photos below)

-if you don’t pack light, don’t drink coffee in the room, and are in a DV ask your steward to remove the Nespresso machine to create more storage space

-if your bathroom is too warm, turn the floor heating system down. 
-go find the thread about new to Viking-start reading with the most recent posts

Have a great cruise!

Just realized I failed to attach photos as promised. Here they are-before & after, and my favorite breakfast-grilled chops and a pistachio raisin bun

7B4EE6D4-0C68-4CE9-9691-AE7AFFC509B8.jpeg

50E5BEE9-24B0-4D13-B0CF-89F5E77E752B.jpeg

41C942B9-278A-4B0E-BE51-E54764E334AE.jpeg

• Like 1

Yum baby lamb chops for breakfast a favourite of mine on Oceania.

Too late for the pre-cruise diet, never mind, it would be rude to turn all these delights down after the chefs have gone to so much trouble 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just realized I failed to attach photos as promised. Here they are-before & after, and my favorite breakfast-grilled chops and a pistachio raisin bun

I love your idea of putting the table in the back corner for more room and also noticed that you travel with Lady and the Tramp?  🙂