Cruising With Grandchildren

Basilon

Planning a cruise with our son, DIL and two grandchildren. (8 and 6)  We would like the flexibility of grandchildren sleeping with us some nights.  Any advice on cabin selection?  

Well, it’s either simple or complicated.  They will have to have a cabin for four ( quad).  For the kids to sleep in your cabin, you would also need a quad, unless you don’t do both at once…then a cabin for three would do.  But it is a question as to whether you would be allowed to book a quad in triple for the two of you.  And unless you book a mini suite, they would be in upper bunks above your bed.  So, if you really want to sleep with the grands, trade cabins with their parents for the night.  EM

• Like 2

Once you book your cabins, how you arrange the occupants after you board is up to you.  We did an AK cruise w our 2 granddaughters.  We booked 2 cabins - one cabin for me and one child and a 2nd cabin for spouse and 2nd child.  Once we got on board, the 2 grandkids slept in one cabin and wife and I slept in the other. 

The only problem might be is that if you book a cabin for 2 people (you and your spouse), you might not be able to put 3 people (one adult and 2 children) or 4 people (you, spouse and 2 grandkids) into the cabin.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Disclaimer:  I have no experience with this.

How often would you like to do this?  How long is the cruise?  Are you babysitting both kids so parents can have a night to themselves?

My guessing is: 

Parent's + 2 = quad

Grandparents = minisuites

pack sleeping bags.

I do like the idea of switching cabins for the night (that's very creative).

Be sure to link the two cabins.  Try to have them in close proximity.

Princess has no interest in if one selects a cabin for two, or three, or four.

And Princess also has no interest in which guest stays in which cabin overnight.

For me, I would not want to be the one to leave my cabin, my bathroom, my stuff, etc and trade cabins.  And that really would not be necessary.

Just make sure by checking Deckplans online, that your cabin will have berths for 4.

It can be easier on some other web-sites like cruise deck plans. com to see which cabins sleep up to 4, and also which cabins are adjoining.  

All mini-suites, of course, are larger and will give you more elbow room.

But it looks like some of them are for three guests and some are for four.

Not sure if that means fold out sofa, pull down berths, or how?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Choose a mini suite  or balcony cabin which accommodates four, for Children and grandchildren and a balcony for grandparents. You can get these as interconnecting cabins which means you can babysit without anyone swapping cabins. You can also request for balcony partitions to be opened to allow movement between cabins.