Richard Fain, RCG CEO, discusses vaccination strategies during restart of cruising

8 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Woohoo! It's so exciting, isn't it! There is hope we can cruise without the vaccine! I say this with love and total admiration: how do you get sick of you're already vaccinated?!?! So crazy! Yes our second shot SHOULD protect but you seriously want us MARKED???

• The risk is to the cruise in its entirety, not the vaxxed cruisers.     
  • Frist of all, the vaccine does not totally prevent getting COVID.   Its does significantly lessen the the potential severity if you do get it.   SO the potential for transmission from Unvaxxed to vaxxed is there.
  • The risk of an unvaxxed person getting COVID is higher, especially in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship.   If there are more than a few cases on a sailing, then the entire sailing is at risk.     Everyone quarantined to their rooms.   The potential for the cruise to be cut short is there.
  • And YES, I would like to see a clear designation of the unvaxxed population on the cruise.     Your very own Scarlet letter.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice work

I wonder if the un-vaxxed are beginning to feel like second class citizens with all the chatter that is going on in this thread. I know I surely felt like a second class citizen when I was a smoker. THAT was the reason I quit smoking. That and also having to always go somewhere else to smoke a cigarette. I took care of that when I quit smoking cold turkey one day in 2005. So glad I did.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Big difference, kids want to go to solarium,  not many adults want to go to AO.

FWIW, Adults can go to AO, they jusy can't bring alcohol 

So on my one HAL cruise, there were 1800 passengers and exactly 0 people below the age of 18.  We enjoyed playing their PlayStation games instead of paying for the arcade.  I don’t think we took alcohol in there, but I don’t think the young lady monitoring it would have cared, especially if we had shared.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Can we do the reverse and make the non vaxxer where the bracelets/bracelets.  

I dont want to wear the stupid bracelet and have those tan lines.  I 

Now that is just a silly idea. The un-vaxxer will just remove the bracelet then he/she will fit right in with the vaxxers.

16 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

He must have a teleprompter or cue cards to make these video messages. How else can he carefully word his message and not forget anything?

Because of his age?

See, I can make assumptions as well😁

13 minutes ago, garywatson said:

It's clearly a teleprompter app on a smart phone.  Free nowadays.

Practice like the other actors/actresses?  It is not that hard, especially with a teleprompter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Did Fain mean to say un-vaxxed = litter bugs?

I think he meant that only one vaccinated person does not make much impact, but lots of vaccinated people do in the same way one piece of litter does not make much difference, but a lot does.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I wonder if the un-vaxxed are beginning to feel like second class citizens with all the chatter that is going on in this thread. I know I surely felt like a second class citizen when I was a smoker. THAT was the reason I quit smoking. That and also having to always go somewhere else to smoke a cigarette. I took care of that when I quit smoking cold turkey one day in 2005. So glad I did.

They will if they are required to wear a tag

1 hour ago, stowite said:

Actually I think this is how they are going to get around the vaccine passport issue in FL.  The policy will be that everyone gets COVID tested to board but you can be exempted from the testing if you choose to show your vaccine card.  I also think the unvaccinated will have additional COVID testing and that there will be a charge for the testing if you were eligible to be vaccinated and chose not to be vaccinated.

Now wouldn't that just hit DeSantis below the belt. LOL.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So on my one HAL cruise, there were 1800 passengers and exactly 0 people below the age of 18.  We enjoyed playing their PlayStation games instead of paying for the arcade.  I don’t think we took alcohol in there, but I don’t think the young lady monitoring it would have cared, especially if we had shared.  

We took our boys on HAL as pre teens

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Big difference, kids want to go to solarium,  not many adults want to go to AO.

FWIW, Adults can go to AO, they jusy can't bring alcohol 

Really? Adults can hang out at Adventure Ocean? There are age deliniations in that area, or so I thought. ie: 3 years olds do not get to play with 16 year olds. Right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I hope they are. I'm still a smoker, but I like my quiet time away from others or with LMP's. :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lr657 said:

They would need a way to easily differentiate who is vaccinated and who isn't. 

Instead of handing out pinnacle pins they can hand out vaxxed or unvaxxed pins. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. I'm sure that most of the people who are walking into stores without masks were never vaccinated.  Just open the ship to all and let the chips fall where they may.

I just found out that the person who was checking in patients for the vaccine has Covid. She is in her late 20's and didn't want the vaccine. She had to go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe.  Anyone who checked in to receive the vaccine while she was working might actually get covid and then they will blame the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

Really? Adults can hang out at Adventure Ocean? There are age deliniations in that area, or so I thought. ie: 3 years olds do not get to play with 16 year olds. Right?

Lots of areas in AO. Oasis ships have a theater

26 minutes ago, garywatson said:

They only need to have a special wristband for the vaxxed people which could possibly include those who can show a doctor's note that they recovered recently from a confirmed covid illness.  The unvaxxed people don't need the band at all.  If you aren't wearing a band, you have to wear a mask and avoid crowded parts of the ship, or whatever other gently punitive measures they can think of.

I can just envision the folks who are deemed to mask will behave badly and we will be witness to showdowns over masking. Just like all those incidents in Walmarts, Targets, Home Depots and let's not forget......airlines. It is going to happen. There will be drama.

• Like 2

And what about the people who medically can not get vaccinated? I haven’t seen much chatter about that. My husband served 27 years and had every vaccine under the sun - he eventually developed GBS from all the vaccine combinations etc and has been told the next vaccine he gets could very well kill based in his last experience which landed him hospitalized for months.

So where does this leave someone like him? He doesn’t have a choice whether to get vaccinated without possibly deciding between life and death. His doctor has issued him a medical exemption letter stating why. 

I am honestly wondering how they will treat him in that regard - he really shouldn’t have to endure extra costs due to a medical condition. Will be interesting if I ever get a response from RCL on it. We are booked in Feb but I don’t know if we’ll go if he’ll have restrictions that we don’t have being it’s not a choice for him.

Edited by Nanner431
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

I can just envision the folks who are deemed to mask will behave badly and we will be witness to showdowns over masking. Just like all those incidents in Walmarts, Targets, Home Depots and let's not forget......airlines. It is going to happen. There will be drama.

Possibly, but one difference is that it's considered a criminal offense in the Bahamas to falsify your vaccine status and a lesser offense to not wear a mask when you are supposed to. They can apply that law aboard ship if they care to. Spending two years in a Bahamian jail is a lot different than a slap fight with a Walmart greeter.

It's also possible that nobody intends to enforce any of this stuff and it's all a scare tactic to encourage compliance.  We'll know in a week or two.

1 minute ago, Nanner431 said:

And what about the people who medically can not get vaccinated? I haven’t seen much chatter about that. My husband served 27 years and had every vaccine under the sun - he eventually developed GBS from all the vaccine combinations etc and has been told the next vaccine he gets could very well kill based in his last experience which landed him hospitalized for months.

So where does this leave someone like him? He doesn’t have a choice whether to get vaccinated without possibly deciding between life and death. His do it has issued him a medical exemption letter stating why. 

I am honestly wondering how they will treat him in that regard - he really shouldn’t have to endure extra costs due to a medical condition. Will be interesting if I ever get a response from RCL on it. We are booked in Feb but I don’t know if we’ll go if he’ll have restrictions that we don’t have being it’s not a choice for him.

Quite a few lawyers who would take that case.....just sayin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nanner431 said:

So where does this leave someone like him? He doesn’t have a choice whether to get vaccinated without possibly deciding between life and death. His do it has issued him a medical exemption letter stating why. 

Your husband should simply do what Royal Caribbean asks of people in his position. None of this discussion/nonsense otherwise will matter either way.

If I am not vaccinated for a disability or other reasons, who should I contact? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Instead of handing out pinnacle pins they can hand out vaxxed or unvaxxed pins. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. I'm sure that most of the people who are walking into stores without masks were never vaccinated.  Just open the ship to all and let the chips fall where they may.

I just found out that the person who was checking in patients for the vaccine has Covid. She is in her late 20's and didn't want the vaccine. She had to go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe.  Anyone who checked in to receive the vaccine while she was working might actually get covid and then they will blame the vaccine.

If she was wearing a mask PROPERLY, then there is a good chance all those she came in contact with will not become infected with Covid.

4 minutes ago, garywatson said:

It's also possible that nobody intends to enforce any of this stuff and it's all a scare tactic to encourage compliance.  We'll know in a week or two.

Excellent point.  Fain is quite the salesman.  He can flip these rules to whatever suits the bottom line while sounding like your best friend at the same time.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 3