Entertainment aboard HAL ships

EDLOS

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Which ships routinely offer a classical music venue ( for listening and not talking)?

All of the ships that offer the Music Walk experience have that.  

I have a negative memory of one of these classical music performances.  There are some guests that can't tolerate any noise from fellow guests during the performances.  I said a quiet few words to the person next to me during a performance and was told by another to "shut up".  I left. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, Copper10-8 said:

I had to deal with such a group once that, for reasons still unk to me, chose the Explorers Lounge and the Adagios on a nightly basis to fine-tune their anti-social skills

I’ve had that experience also. Adagio is my favorite, then the jazz group down the aisle. I really hate it when people need to have loud conversations up close to the musicians. 

On 6/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, Mary229 said:

Indeed.  A night out at the Symphony would be great.   I am fairly particular about classical music but HAL's musicians do far better than most cruise ship entertainers

On 6/9/2021 at 10:18 AM, igraf said:

I prefer that no one is talking while I am listening to music.  I recall a music performance being ruined by a loud group who were so rude that they decided to sit up front next to the musicians, and then try to talk louder than the music.  I finally had to ask them to have their conversation elsewhere.

igraf

Hi Deb,

you know we loved the chamber music and would go to every concert we could.  They had a prescribed concert but they rebelled at times and shared so much other music. Lincoln Center is just wonderful.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, Navybikermom said:

I’ve had that experience also. Adagio is my favorite, then the jazz group down the aisle. I really hate it when people need to have loud conversations up close to the musicians. 

"Down the aisle" ?  Is the Music Walk a series of interconnecting rooms you walk through, with different music in each, like a market? 

If so, is there sound insulation, or can you hear some music from one venue filtering into the one next to it on the "walk?"  I apologize for my ignorance here.

I tried Zaandam a couple years ago and I think there was a pianist and violinist, but people in front talked like in a nightclub,  and I could also here competing jazz not far away. Was that probably a Music Walk?

On 6/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, NCTribeFan said:

You couldn't pay me to sit in a piano bar.  I'm rather particular about music and often really dislike tunes that are generally popular.  Just because it was a "hit" doesn't mean it was any good!  

🤣  Have to admit that I kind of feel the same. I've "soured" on Sweet Caroline. Not sure it would be allowed in COVID times anyway with its bridge of "Hands, touching hands, Reaching out, touching me, touching you...." Eeew, no. Pass the sanitizer. 😉  Also not interested in one more bad rendition of "Piano Man" or "Copacabana."

I have to figure I am the target demographic for a number of cruise lines in terms of my age -- approaching retirement and representing either the end of the Boomers or start of the Gen Xers. However, my generation is among the first to be categorized as having more splintered viewpoints and tastes. I think cruise lines are going to have a hard time hitting the entertainment "sweet spot" in years to come. 

The problem is that we are all both spoiled and more sophisticated. Many production shows are not that spectacular compared with land-side shows -- unless you sail on a ship that puts a lot of money into it (in the form of a proper stage, lighting, sound, and size of venue).  Smaller versions can seem provincial. Plus we all crave variety. It's not the Catskills in the 1960s where you can get away with the same lame jokes and songs night after night (or even year after year).

HAL has the kernel of a good idea with their music walk, IMO.  But they need to keep tweaking it to keep it fresh and relevant.  

I was on Celebrity recently and even though I like their entertainment, it is still being targeted to the decade before me for the most part. 1960s era music prevailed, with occasional nod to the 1970s. I figure in 10 years they'll start getting to the music I like.  One idea they have which I find interesting is the "silent disco" where you can choose your own music and dance to it, wearing headphones. But more of a gimmick than a sustainable theme. At least they also have some options -- like aerialists, late night comedy shows, and -- something that several HAL lovers have mentioned -- they often have a live performer or two playing in one or more lounges around the ship.  It makes for a convivial setting.

Just before the pandemic through the present,  were/are any ships doing occasional evening entertainment events with the cruise director (or DJ)? These weren’t on our last few sailings, but in days gone by the game shows, marriage game, etc., were always fun and standing room only. They were held in the gap time between the 2 evening show times. Has anyone had these events in the last 3 years?

13 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

"Down the aisle" ?  Is the Music Walk a series of interconnecting rooms you walk through, with different music in each, like a market? 

If so, is there sound insulation, or can you hear some music from one venue filtering into the one next to it on the "walk?"  I apologize for my ignorance here.

I tried Zaandam a couple years ago and I think there was a pianist and violinist, but people in front talked like in a nightclub,  and I could also here competing jazz not far away. Was that probably a Music Walk?

This was on the Prinsendam, which was so small that sometimes there was only one aisle to get fore and aft, and the venues were all along the one aisle. I don’t recall there being much of an issue with noise from one spilling over. Once the music paused, you could hear the other venues though. Most people would rather there be no talking during Adagio since it is quiet classical music. It’s my favorite 😊. I think Kazu was on the Prinsendam the last time I was. Sure miss that ship! 😔

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

HAL has the kernel of a good idea with their music walk, IMO.  But they need to keep tweaking it to keep it fresh and relevant.  

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam, I enjoyed the Rolling Stones Rock Room.  The band/singers were good.  But, their playlist was repetitive to the extreme.  One's night was the same as last night's.  Maybe the order of the songs were different.  

\

I was watching a YouTube video with the entertainment director on the N. Amsterdam .  She mentioned that HAL is introducing a new comedy program in the BB lounge.   At least twice a week they will showcase a comedian.  As a stand up fan this looks like fun

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, Mary229 said:

I was watching a YouTube video with the entertainment director on the N. Amsterdam .  She mentioned that HAL is introducing a new comedy program in the BB lounge.   At least twice a week they will showcase a comedian.  As a stand up fan this looks like fun

Interesting to learn this.  My issue with comedians today is what they--and much of their audience thinks is funny--is very UNFUNNY to me.  

What's funny to me?  How about a blast from the past?  Patrick Murray and Matilda as an example.  

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Interesting to learn this.  My issue with comedians today is what they--and much of their audience thinks is funny--is very UNFUNNY to me.  

What's funny to me?  How about a blast from the past?  Patrick Murray and Matilda as an example.  

We found quite a few hilarious, age appropriate, comedy channels on YouTube recently.  It renewed our interest in attending stand up shows once again.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Shades of Wayland Flowers and Madame. I refer you to my comment about the Catskills above.

NOT going to be a big draw for anyone my age or younger. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mary229 said:

On our Alaska sailing in August this was a nightly occurrence with one to two thirty minute sets daily except embarkation day. Family friendly except for the last night which was advertised as an adult only show. The events were very popular but BB Kings is not nearly large enough to hold the number of people who wanted to attend. They did the shows at 8:30 and 9 when there was a second and I think they would have done better to put them in the main stage between the main performances even if they had to alter the timing slightly 

• Like 1