Scotland bans cruise ships

Silver Spectre

It’s a good job that SS cancelled the Whisper cruises that were scheduled to stop in Scotland as the MSC Virtuosa has just been banned from stopping in Greenock and Inverclyde. All guests are from the U.K., vaccinated and tested. They must have left Liverpool earlier with an expectation of being able to dock. That’s a bit of a slap in the face if your are a Scottish guest onboard.

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

I wonder if its all cruise ships, or just above a certain size?

Noble Caledonia was forced to redo its June itineraries on Island Sky and Hebridean Sky (118 passengers).  It's a total ban.

I actually was on the Virtuosa in Liverpool yesterday morning where I disembarked. There were certainly no announcements or rumours of any problems. 

Its seemingly a political act by the Scottish premier to align herself with a similar stance towards the UK? Who knows - but it makes no sense what ever the motive is and think it will be damaging.

What I can say, was I felt safe. I was tested before boarding. Had me temperature taken several times during the day and that everyone pretty much obeyed the mask policy when walking about indoors. (OK I did on 3 occasions have to go back to my room a minute of so later because I realised I'd forgotten my mask - but it certainly wasn't wilful. I don't think that will ever feel right - but it genuinely wasn't a big deal.

So that's one down (I only booked it a week ago!) and 3 more Seacations to come on Scarlet lady, Regal Princess and Sky Princess. None of which would be my my choice for Line, ship or destinations - but getting a break was a higher priority and glad I did this. The Virtuosa is huge. Its a nice ship....... and incredibly spacious when its capacity is 6000 guests and only 900 on board.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks for the update Les. What were the food choices like?

Do you like school dinners? lol

I think the up charge restaurants (which there were many) were ok, but you need to book a package of at least 2 nights which on a 3 night cruise, I was reluctant to do. With hindsight, I would / should have.

Further update for those passengers stranded on board. They'd been allowed to stay on (not kicked off and swim!) until it arrives in Southampton in 3 or 4 days. I suspect that is without charge and fares back home reimbursed, but don't know for sure. Maybe if that decision is reversed, they will be allowed to stay on longer and get off where they had intended.

Not a ship I intend ever to sail again. Somethings are unforgivable. I hadn't booked Yacht Club and with the number of decks it has, there isn't anywhere to view from the bow unless you are. Can't be doing with that! Hopefully the other 3 ships booked fare better. 

All said and done, it was still a joy to be back on the sea. I'd forgotten what it was like! No regrets and I was impressed by the Covid aspects which by no means I'm thinking its infallible, but it shows they are taking it seriously. There were kids on this ship (only Seacation allowing them I believe?) which i suspect would bring in doubts - but i fully expect the all vaccine only cruises for adults only will be even safer. Hope so - one of mine goes to Scotland, so hope this nonsense is sorted by then (Not that i'm intending to get off in Greenock!)

• Like 1

Just read the MSC thread to get a better picture, it sounds like the specialty restaurants are pretty expensive. I was surprised to see your comment about kids onboard, I had the impression from the press that all the guests had to be fully vaccinated and that would exclude kids.  What were the actual requirements Les? I am also really surprised that people are still using a cruising TA that was notoriously stingy with their refunds last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Just read the MSC thread to get a better picture, it sounds like the specialty restaurants are pretty expensive. I was surprised to see your comment about kids onboard, I had the impression from the press that all the guests had to be fully vaccinated and that would exclude kids.  What were the actual requirements Les? I am also really surprised that people are still using a cruising TA that was notoriously stingy with their refunds last year.

I believe MSC are the only CL not requiring a full vaccine and accepting anying prior to sailing as long as they test negative. All guests get tested on boarding as well. If you have been vaccinated the test in the port is all that's required.

I must admit, I was still surprised to hear kids screaming away... Luckily there weren't too many and I certainly think kids pose a far greater risk.

Think the upcharge was £82pp for 2 meals....so not far removed for a trip to LA Dame and The Japanese which would knock the socks off what was presented. I'd have gone if it were one meal, but not 2 out of 3.

There were lots of negatives I could throw in, but given the cost was so low, you can't really justify many and need to keep things in perspective.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Come on people, this is the Silversea forum.  Not some mass market junket. 

You could always just ignore. The thread is reference to the fact Scotland have just banned cruise ships and referenced a particular "mass market junket" which has pioneered a return to UK cruises. I'm fairly certain others are interested in it even if you are not.

• Like 3