Question about annual travel insurance plan

I'm looking at purchasing an annual cancellation/medical insurance plan, but I have a an unusual question. My hubby & I have 6 cruises planned within the next12 months, and I am looking at the RoamRight’s Multi-Trip Annual Trip Cancellation Insurance plan referenced on the trip Insurance Store website. The plan seems to meet our needs but here's a wrinkle that I've never seen addressed. For a couple of these trips, family members/friends are going along with us, so for some trips we have two cabins booked, one under my husband's name and one under mine. We're platinum (almost diamond) and this way our family members can share in our perks, such as priority boarding, laundry, in room amenities, etc. I know Carnival doesn't care/need to know where we sleep at night, but I wondered if that could cause issues in the event we had a claim. Since the plan will cover both of us on each trip, would it matter if we are not 'in' the same cabin? 

I guess one other question would be, we currently have an annual plan that is due to expire in the next few months. That plan is through GeoBlue Trekker Choice, and I ware reading their certificate of insurance and they explicitly mention not covering COVID testing or expenses related to quarantining.The plan from the website does not mention Covid at all, and does mention coverage for quarantine under the sections for Trip Cancellation.Trip Interruption, Hazards, etc. So I believe if something happened as a result of a Covid outbreak onboard that resulted in quarantine, it would be covered. Let me know if I'm not reading that correctly. 

Edited by Wanna_Cruize
Clarity

I just want to talk about Geoblue (we do not buy or know much about travel cancelation policies).  The annual Geoblue Trekker policies have undergone several changes in the past year.  At one point they excluded just about everything related to COIVD, but then in Jan (I think it was Jan 1) they reinstituted coverage for COVID.  But Geoblue is primarily an annual "Travel Medical" policy and while there are a few other things covered it should be thought of as a healthcare policy.  When you mention quarantine, that is not necessarily a medical care issue.   Quarantines can be required in many cases where nobody involved is ill or has COVID.   Geoblue and many medical policies do not cover quarantines outside a healthcare facility.    

As to COVID, the current Geoblue policy essentially treats COVID in a similar manner to any other illness or disease.  The one area that could cause a COVID issue is the medical evacuation/transportation limitation for and illness classified as a Biosafety Level 3 (or above) which may well include COVID (I hedge because the classification of SARs and COVID could always change).  

I do not think that Geoblue covers trip cancelation/interruption costs (if I have missed something please point me to the appropriate section).

Since we take many trips (some of which last for 10 weeks) most years we love this annual trip medical policy because it gives us decent medical coverage for all of our trips.  If we were concerned about cancelation/interruption we would purchase a different type trip policy and/or rely on one of our credit cards that does provide some cancelation/interruption coverage (i.e. Chase Sapphire, AMEX Platinum, etc.),

And finally, since you have good questions (and some doubts) you might want to take a little time to directly contact a decent trip insurance travel broker (many here on CC swear by Steve Dasseos) for professional advice (brokers do not generally charge for giving out advice).

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I did notice what you said about GeoBlue at first excluding most COVID coverage earlier in the pandemic, but when I looked again yesterday at out current GeoBlue policy I saw it was now covered as an illness. 

That being said, I'm thinking of switching it up to a plan that does cover some trip cancellation/interruption coverage as well. We have good medical coverage on our own through work, but DH has some medical issues that could suddenly mean he couldn't cruise, and since we have so many cruises booked, that's why I was interested in that aspect of it. Specifically the plan I'm looking at says that as long as the traveler is medically able to travel when the annual plan is purchased, pre-existing medical conditions are fully covered medical and trip cancellations. That seems to be a pretty valuable asset.

Thanks for the advice. 

51 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

. We have good medical coverage on our own through work,

Please verify this with further research.

I also have good medical insurance thru work that covers internationally.

My wife recently hurt herself while we were in Cancun. She required an ER visit to the local hospital. The total bill was only $3600.

BC/BS reimbursed us a whopping $70, because,,, "Because you used a nonparticipating facility, the allowance has been reduced to the average network facility allowance. This increases your out of pocket responsibility."

Good idea, I'll definitely check. We have Kaiser, and I know they fully cover out of network costs while you are traveling within the US, we've experienced that. I'll check about outside the US. I do know that GeoBlue works with/is affiliated with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and their coverage is better if you use those facilities while traveling. 

Cool beans, looks like we're OK, fully covered for emergency or urgent care when traveling internationally, including transportation, with a phone number to call. However, expenses must be paid first, then reimbursed.

13 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Good idea, I'll definitely check. We have Kaiser, and I know they fully cover out of network costs while you are traveling within the US, we've experienced that. I'll check about outside the US. I do know that GeoBlue works with/is affiliated with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and their coverage is better if you use those facilities while traveling. 

Having filed a major claim with GeoBlue we would offer a slightly different point of view.  It is not so much that their coverage is better using a foreign affiliate (to use your word) but it is possible that if you use providers involved with their program you might (I emphasize "might") be able to get the provider(s) to accept assignment meaning you do not have to pay the bill out of pocket.  In our case we simply went to the best available hospital (based on the recommendation of the ship's agent in Osaka) and got terrific care.  But since that provider did not accept "assignment" we had to settle the bill before we left the hospital (a good reason to have one or more credit cards with very high credit limits).  When we finally submitted our claim (with lots of back-up documents) we were reimbursed 100% of the medical cost.    Like most medical insurance policies, GeoBlue looks to something the industry calls "usual and customary" which is a real elusive thing for the public.  In theory they will pay what they consider the reasonable price for a covered medical service.  You, as the patient/customer have no way of knowing (in advance) whether your coverage will pay the entire bill.  IMHO you need to rely on the reputation of the insurance company since you have few alternatives.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 8:04 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

I'm looking at purchasing an annual cancellation/medical insurance plan, but I have a an unusual question. My hubby & I have 6 cruises planned within the next12 months, and I am looking at the RoamRight’s Multi-Trip Annual Trip Cancellation Insurance plan referenced on the trip Insurance Store website. The plan seems to meet our needs but here's a wrinkle that I've never seen addressed. For a couple of these trips, family members/friends are going along with us, so for some trips we have two cabins booked, one under my husband's name and one under mine. We're platinum (almost diamond) and this way our family members can share in our perks, such as priority boarding, laundry, in room amenities, etc. I know Carnival doesn't care/need to know where we sleep at night, but I wondered if that could cause issues in the event we had a claim. Since the plan will cover both of us on each trip, would it matter if we are not 'in' the same cabin? 

I guess one other question would be, we currently have an annual plan that is due to expire in the next few months. That plan is through GeoBlue Trekker Choice, and I ware reading their certificate of insurance and they explicitly mention not covering COVID testing or expenses related to quarantining.The plan from the website does not mention Covid at all, and does mention coverage for quarantine under the sections for Trip Cancellation.Trip Interruption, Hazards, etc. So I believe if something happened as a result of a Covid outbreak onboard that resulted in quarantine, it would be covered. Let me know if I'm not reading that correctly. 

Hi Wanna_Cruize,

> Since the plan will cover both of us on each trip, would it matter if we are not 'in' the same cabin? 

No, it doesn't matter how you make your booking because the plan covers you, your trip and your prepaid trip costs.

> So I believe if something happened as a result of a Covid outbreak onboard that resulted in quarantine, it would be covered.

Medically imposed quarantines by a physician are covered, so if you are quarantined due to a Sickness, you are covered.

Steve Dasseos

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve. I went ahead and purchased the plan. Your website is great, BTW, made it easy for me to find what I needed. 

Can I ask what plan you purchased and does it cover trip cancellation?  Do you know if there's an age limit my husband is 85 and I think the jail Blue tracker cuts off at 85 although it's letting me buy one if I want to

Edited by molly361

On 6/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Wanna_Cruize,

> Since the plan will cover both of us on each trip, would it matter if we are not 'in' the same cabin? 

No, it doesn't matter how you make your booking because the plan covers you, your trip and your prepaid trip costs.

> So I believe if something happened as a result of a Covid outbreak onboard that resulted in quarantine, it would be covered.

Medically imposed quarantines by a physician are covered, so if you are quarantined due to a Sickness, you are covered.

Steve Dasseos

Is there a website for an annual policy,?  Husband is 85. Thanks

1 minute ago, Suzanne123 said:

I remember when GeoBlue raised their prices a few years ago, and I was surprised that the age limit was 95.  Anyway, according to Trip Insurance Store, the age limit is still 95.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/

Thanks  I guess Dan can keep cruising with me for another 10 years😇

• Like 1

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

Is there a website for an annual policy,?  Husband is 85. Thanks

Sorry Molly, I was mostly offline for a few days. The policy we got was through Roam Right, but I believe their maximum age is 74. That does include Trip Cancellation, up to a certain dollar amount that you pick when choosing the plan. I found it through the TRIP INSURANCE STORE online

• Thanks 1