The Daily for Wednesday Jun 09, 2021

richwmn

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Melanie.

It is a relief that we have both had our 2 vaccine jabs now.

Our P&O UK Staycation cruise in August is for fully vaccinated people only.

Is Pauline considered fully vaccinated now in the UK or some (14 in US) days after the final jab?

Roy

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ClippyJoe said:

Looks like a hot muggy day here but a change from rain. Love the shrimp recipes and that its Donald Duck Day ! I may have to get the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook. I'll try the library first before I buy one. My son and grandson will be coming home for the first time since the pandemic started. We had a family cruise planned that ended up being cancelled. It will be so good to hug them again !

Here's the Barefoot Contessa's take on Roasted Shrimp Salad.  More along the lines of what I was expecting.  

https://foolproofliving.com/roasted-shrimp-salad/

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day in paradise. The rain will return tomorrow for a day or two, so I plan on enjoying this beautiful day.  First up is a visit to DD and the grandsons, bringing cookies 🙂  Then more gardening when I get home.  The Lilies will be blooming soon, will post some photos then.  

I love strawberries, and the delicious local ones will be ready this week -- but don't care for rhubarb, so will pass on the strawberry/rhubarb pie.  The Barefoot Contessa's shrimp salad recipe does look better than the first, I would leave out the dill and capers though.

Prayers for all on the care list and cheers to all on the celebration list!  Update on my cousin, she's still in the hospital waiting to have her donated kidney removed.  Praying that a new donor comes before too long for her, dialysis will be keeping her alive...

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. 😊

No Abu Dhabi ( yet) but enjoyed photos from @GeorgeCharlie...one photo reminded me of the WDW Epcot attraction (Morocco). We have actually been to Tangier, however. (🚢 Princess)

I'm more of a Daisy Duck fan but my husband still can talk like Donald Duck, lol!! 😉🙃😊

🙏Prayers to all in need and thank you to everyone contributing to this site. 😎

Katie

0_FB_IMG_1512315826849.jpg

• Like 23

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Daily Report.

I'd love some pie, I have rhubarb but no strawberries.  I think I'll make a rhubarb meringue pie.

Amusing quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.

Sending prayers to all who need them

A toast to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

Can you share the recipe? I have tons of rhubarb but no strawberries. It sounds wonderful. 

• Like 11

Good morning, all! Donald Duck is so good for making people laugh. He’s a great reminder to step back and not get too uptight. Strawberry rhubarb pie is either heaven or hell, depending on the rhubarb. You can only tell the difference by taste, not by looks. So if you have a friend with a plant of GOOD rhubarb, never let them go! That roasted shrimp salad sounds like a winner, and I must make some! A Kahlua Colada sounds like one to try coconut rum in.

Today is beautiful, so I need to tend to the plants. I also need to contact TAP Portugal - again - regarding the refund that’s been due for over a year now. I prefer tending the plants.😏

I post dyed the scarves from the other day - one in Arbutus bark, one in lichen. This morning I was out getting artsy displaying them in nature for picture taking  DD does the same with handmade jewelry and hers look fantastic. Maybe her skill as a photographer has some bearing on that.🤔

The scarves among the daisies

B983F792-436C-4477-AA16-CB4CE5CDA1D0.thumb.jpeg.7a8f6a7a617f33feac71fec9e930acaf.jpeg

9EC0BE3F-97CA-4E60-9381-50611BB1AB95.thumb.jpeg.e3b0502a3fe05de21d95231698d692f7.jpeg

And Happy Wednesday! As our BHB’s start moving again, May they soon move with us aboard!

A51A76B5-35F4-407C-B8A9-2FB58215B9B6.thumb.jpeg.d8b0fe85698439e473153771ad1072cd.jpeg

• Like 29

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

While I like strawberry-rhubarb pie, I prefer plain rhubarb - an open face pie with a custard like filling ... yum!  Unfortunately I can't make a pie crust to save my neck, and my mom never wrote down her recipe, so I haven't had it in years.

Gerry, I have an easy pie crust recipe that has become my go to after far too many fails:

Ingredients: 1 double crust pie shell from the freezer in the grocery store.

Directions: Remove from freezer. Fill one pie shell with your favourite filling. Top with second pie shell, thawed and flattened. Bake as directed.

It will never match your mother’s pie crust, but it also,won’t humiliate you in front of company.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning to all of the Daily people . 

Today I am a very happy man , finally was able to get a haircut yesterday after 3 months when my barber came to visit me here at home with his tools and after a lot of buzzing my head feels a lot lighter and I look a lot younger again ! 

Than this morning DW Martha woke me up with a huge surprise with a flat of our very first strawberries of the year that was another thing on my wish list , after being able to step on board a BHB of coarse ……… but there is hope …..maybe soon , I have not given up 

199420836_3671896353034763_3490804412436449278_n.jpg.3df8fe296818aa01ec7c9f828347aa43.jpg

Thanks for all the pictures of  Abu Dhabi , hope to get there one day also .

Take care everybody we are getting today our second jab 6 weeks sooner than expected , Canada is catching up with lots and lots of vaccinations another thing which makes me feel a lot better !  Almost 65 % of our population have received at least one dose ! 

Tony 😄😃
Edited by sailingdutchy
My spelling of coarse
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Is Pauline considered fully vaccinated now in the UK or some (14 in US) days after the final jab?

Roy

Our scientists on our TV briefings tell us it is usually 14 days after the second vaccine jab when full protection is reached.

Paulines second vaccine jab was 11 weeks after her first vaccine jab.

Pauline is a civil servant and has worked from home since March 2020 and we both wear our masks in church and all indoor settings.

I caught covid19 from the eye hospital when they were closely checking my eye to confirm I needed a vitrectomy operation to peal an Epiretinal Membrane from my macular which fortunately has now been successfully operated on.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Good morning and thanks all!   That shrimp salad looks divine and with strawberry rhubarb pie, sublime!   
Glad to hear some good news from  Carol and about Tana!  
The osprey was going with very fresh trout!  It was still wiggling!  Eek! 

D1BB72DF-E3CF-4514-8283-5B56B8C821A2.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline is a big fan of Disney and we have been to WDW Orlando and Disneyland Paris several times.

Mini and Mickey are our favourites but Donald Duck looks cute.

It is 77°F and sunny at home.

Pauline had her second Astrazeneca vaccine jab this morning so afterwards we went for Lunch alfresco at a nearby restaurant.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20210609_131526.jpg

Pauline is lovely. No one told me we needed to dress formally for our jabs.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, cat shepard said:

Pauline is lovely. No one told me we needed to dress formally for our jabs.  

Thank you.

Pauline always gets dressed up when we leave home.

She loves clothes,shoes, handbags and jewelry.

I just wear what she puts out for me but at least it matches.😀

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Donald Duck is so good for making people laugh. He’s a great reminder to step back and not get too uptight. Strawberry rhubarb pie is either heaven or hell, depending on the rhubarb. You can only tell the difference by taste, not by looks. So if you have a friend with a plant of GOOD rhubarb, never let them go! That roasted shrimp salad sounds like a winner, and I must make some! A Kahlua Colada sounds like one to try coconut rum in.

Today is beautiful, so I need to tend to the plants. I also need to contact TAP Portugal - again - regarding the refund that’s been due for over a year now. I prefer tending the plants.😏

I post dyed the scarves from the other day - one in Arbutus bark, one in lichen. This morning I was out getting artsy displaying them in nature for picture taking  DD does the same with handmade jewelry and hers look fantastic. Maybe her skill as a photographer has some bearing on that.🤔

The scarves among the daisies

B983F792-436C-4477-AA16-CB4CE5CDA1D0.thumb.jpeg.7a8f6a7a617f33feac71fec9e930acaf.jpeg

9EC0BE3F-97CA-4E60-9381-50611BB1AB95.thumb.jpeg.e3b0502a3fe05de21d95231698d692f7.jpeg

And Happy Wednesday! As our BHB’s start moving again, May they soon move with us aboard!

A51A76B5-35F4-407C-B8A9-2FB58215B9B6.thumb.jpeg.d8b0fe85698439e473153771ad1072cd.jpeg

Lovely, Laura!

• Like 10

Did anyone happen to see Disney's Fantasia 2000?  It was really wonderful, and we have the DVD.  One of the segments starred Donald & Daisy as Noah's assistants set  to Elgar - it was a smile from beginning to end.  

@Horizon chaser 1957, your scarves are absolutely gorgeous.

As for me, I've got a terrible case of the wiggles.  Retirement in just over 4 weeks.  July 9 is the big day!

Edited by Live4cruises
Clarity
  • Like 23

Good morning, I was posting on another thread when the window washers appeared at the deck, so I raced off to shower and dress - earlier I was about to shower when they appeared on the roof to do the skylights, so I postponed my shower...

It seems like a busy morning here on the Daily - thank you all for coming to the party!  I will be praying for those on the Care List and celebrating with the Celebration list.  Pat came home from golf the other day with the first of the local strawberries (red all the way through!😀), so I made strawberry-rhubarb jam.  That was my first picking from my new rhubarb plant.    I don't have much luck with making pastry, so I use the frozen crusts too, but I think DD is planning on quiches tomorrow, so that will be our pastry day.  She is growing spinach and kale, which she says need thinning, so we'll put that in the quiches.  She picked her first artichoke of the season yesterday - a favourite in this household.  

IMG_2348.thumb.jpg.df178b39090236f8bfba509691b13dc3.jpg

Pat just came in and told me he has invited some of the neighbours over for drinks this afternoon, so I must think of and organize some snacks.   He is such a socialite!  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

As for me, I've got a terrible case of the wiggles.  Retirement in just over 4 weeks.  July 9 is the big day!

Congratulations!  You won’t regret it 👍 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27.I admire Pauline and she looks wonderful.Since retiring I find I wear "good jeans" when heading out the door. The paper on Sunday had an article about how we have forgotten  how to dress. I better go read that!

Thank you.

We met 43 years ago when Pauline was 16 and I was 22 and she looked like a princess then and has done ever since.

Graham.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Can you share the recipe? I have tons of rhubarb but no strawberries. It sounds wonderful. 

Happy to share, hope you like it.

You need a single pie crust, unbaked - homemade or store bought, no judging here.

Filling:

4 cup chopped rhubarb

3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)

3/4 cup sugar (if you like a sweeter pie, use more, the original recipe I got said 1 cup sugar but that  was too much for me)

1 cup half & half (or heavy cream if you prefer)

2 Tbsp flour

pinch of salt

Spread rhubarb in pie crust.

Combine yolks with sugar and cream flour and salt, whisk to smooth consistency.  Pour over rhubarb. 

Bake @ 350F 50 to 60 minutes.

Just before pie is done make meringue.

Meringue topping:

3 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Beat all ingredients to stiff peaks.  Spread over hot filling.  Return to oven and bake additional 10 minutes or until meringue is browned.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

You need a single pie crust, unbaked - homemade or store bought, no judging here.

Filling:

4 cup chopped rhubarb

3/4 cup sugar (if you like a sweeter pie, use more, the original recipe I got said 1 cup sugar but that  was too much for me)

2 Tbsp flour

pinch of salt

Combine yolks with sugar and cream flour and salt, whisk to smooth consistency.  Pour over rhubarb. 

Meringue topping:

3 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Beat all ingredients to stiff peaks.  Spread over hot filling.  Return to oven and bake additional 10 minutes or until meringue is browned.

This sounds like it could work with other fruit too. I do not like rhubarb in any form. Somebody else can have my share! 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We are still in a heat advisory; no central air but the window units seem to be holding their own.

Some more peonies are blooming -

20210608_143454.thumb.jpg.983f5fcb4e7b6e5296e8183cc423bbb1.jpg20210608_143459.thumb.jpg.d0d3d0cff79246397f43de3114b05012.jpg20210608_143423.thumb.jpg.7ebe02a29155050c36c9cd8994d50e0c.jpg

20210608_143430.thumb.jpg.9f24af08e74de28a8cd4053191bf8bf5.jpg

Nice pictures.  Thank you for sharing them. 

• Like 6

Filling:

4 cup chopped rhubarb

2 Tbsp flour

pinch of salt

Meringue topping:

3 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

You are making my mouth water!

• Like 4

Filling:

4 cup chopped rhubarb

2 Tbsp flour

pinch of salt

Meringue topping:

3 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

I went out and checked and I think I have tons of ripe rhubarb so I will be giving this one a try. 

• Like 10