Port of Galveston says Carnival will be able to ask for proff of vaccine under the new Texas law

MrMarc

There will be positive cases on cruise ships as long as covid still exists.  The important thing is what the cruises out of the US will do about those cases.  It appears that the ships will have quarantine areas of the ship for those people.  I also read that they are contacting with hotels and hospitals.  As long as they have a plan, it shouldn't be cause to panic, just like it's not if a person travels and tests positive.  They simply quarantine.  They don't shut down the airports and hotels.

• Like 5

Who in their right mind would board a cruise ship where the vaccine is not required??!   We have been on tons of cruises.  Diamond.  No way in hades are we boarding unless required.  Cruise ships are the LAST place you wanna be if not vaccinated.  

• Like 4

Just now, dandeck said:

Who in their right mind would board a cruise ship where the vaccine is not required??!   We have been on tons of cruises.  Diamond.  No way in hades are we boarding unless required.  Cruise ships are the LAST place you wanna be if not vaccinated.  

Well, actually flying on an airplane for hours on end with untested people was the last place I wanted to be before getting vaccinated.  People can still fly untested and unvaccinated.  You could be sitting right next to a covid positive person for hours.  The list goes on with untested people everywhere.

Cruising with TESTED unvaccinated people wouldn't cause me any worry.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

There will be positive cases on cruise ships as long as covid still exists.  The important thing is what the cruises out of the US will do about those cases.  It appears that the ships will have quarantine areas of the ship for those people.  I also read that they are contacting with hotels and hospitals.  As long as they have a plan, it shouldn't be cause to panic, just like it's not if a person travels and tests positive.  They simply quarantine.  They don't shut down the airports and hotels.

I wouldn't sail on a unvaccinated cruise. The protocols ensure that positives show up. No way, even with the two/three days before, just before, and halfway through will there not be cases with large unvaccinated numbers. Fully vaccinated cruises should be able to forgo these tests. I imagine any other ports of call are now thinking "heck no" I don't want that ship to dock with a bunch of unvaccinated folks that are potentially infected. This is every cruisers worst case scenario. Much less likely to happen on fully vaccinated cruises unless someone falls ill enough to report to medical and get tested. Even then, per CDC protocols, vaccinated have no need to quarantine and can press on.     

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I wouldn't sail on a unvaccinated cruise. The protocols ensure that positives show up. No way, even with the two/three days before, just before, and halfway through will there not be cases with large unvaccinated numbers. Fully vaccinated cruises should be able to forgo these tests. I imagine any other ports of call are now thinking "heck no" I don't want that ship to dock with a bunch of unvaccinated folks that are potentially infected. This is every cruisers worst case scenario. Much less likely to happen on fully vaccinated cruises unless someone falls ill enough to report to medical and get tested. Even then, per CDC protocols, vaccinated have no need to quarantine and can press on.     

The unvaccinated people will be tested before cruising just like a person is tested before flying into a country that requires it.  But still, everyone should sail the way they are comfortable sailing.  It appears that RCL will sail out of Florida and Texas with unvaccinated people, so there are options for everyone.

• Like 1

Its funny that you're talking as if VACCINATED people can't also be carrying / contract the virus.  The vaccine doesn't STOP the virus, it just lessens the symptoms.  

So even on a FULLY VACCINATED cruise ship, you can still have a covid case (or cases) on board.

If you are vaccinated, you are protected, correct?  So why do you care if someone who is NOT vaccinated is also on the cruise?  I know that I don't care...   I can still get it, I can still pass it along to others if I get it...

I just wanna get back on a ship, vaccinated or not vaccinated right along beside me!!  It matters not!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

Its funny that you're talking as if VACCINATED people can't also be carrying / contract the virus.  The vaccine doesn't STOP the virus, it just lessens the symptoms.  

So even on a FULLY VACCINATED cruise ship, you can still have a covid case (or cases) on board.

If you are vaccinated, you are protected, correct?  So why do you care if someone who is NOT vaccinated is also on the cruise?  I know that I don't care...   I can still get it, I can still pass it along to others if I get it...

I just wanna get back on a ship, vaccinated or not vaccinated right along beside me!!  It matters not!

But, per CDC, no need to quarantine or change anything. Unvaccinated triggers stricter protocol if positives are found. Also more testing which will likely find more cases. Vaccinated does not (or should not per CDC), even if a case or two pops up.   

Edited by cruisingguy007

1 hour ago, angelsfort said:

I care because if there are other unvaccinated people on the ship, it could cause enough of an outbreak that the cruise is affected.  The more who are sailing vaccinated, the less chance of a disruptive outbreak.  

• Like 5

Just make it easy, allow us to upload the cards to our account. Im not a fan of the having to force us to get vaccines, but I also recognized that if I wanted to go on a cruise, we had to get them going forward. So we did, simply for that reason. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dandeck said:

Why not? I’m vacced and believe it works. I’m safe and ready to go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, naxer said:

I care because if there are other unvaccinated people on the ship, it could cause enough of an outbreak that the cruise is affected.  The more who are sailing vaccinated, the less chance of a disruptive outbreak.  

That’s just opinion. I have the opinion that anyone infected will be quarantined and  non infected can party on. I doubt there will be any test after initial boarding unless there are passengers with symptoms. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, naxer said:

Exactly. If the threshold is reached, the cruise is terminated per CDC rules.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jsglow said:

I can assure you that the speed limit on the road adjacent to your residence wasn't established via a Federal, State, or even Local VOTE of the governing body.  It was set via delegation to the Transportation Dept.  And the officer that writes you a ticket is reliant on that.  👮‍♂️

Not to mention if it's a US Highway or Interstate, a bureaucrat in DC likely signed off on the route number. The same would apply if it's a state route in most states.

1 hour ago, naxer said:

I think it is extremely unlikely that there would be a huge outbreak. First, you're assuming that there would be enough breakout cases amongst those vaccinated and that percentage nationwide is very low. (< .008%) Second, the 5% will consist partly of children who are just  not that susceptible to the virus. Finally, this leaves a small percentage of unvaccinated that will have already been tested. Let's not forget about all the new onboard protocols that are being tested to help prevent an outbreak as well.

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Well, actually flying on an airplane for hours on end with untested people was the last place I wanted to be before getting vaccinated.  People can still fly untested and unvaccinated.  You could be sitting right next to a covid positive person for hours.  The list goes on with untested people everywhere.

I blame the lack of oversite on the part of the federal government not have made it mandatory to be vaccinated to get on an airplane now, earlier it should have been a negative test within 72 hours.

Makes perfect sense restrict travel from a foreign country but lets give them 72 hours notice to fly in before requiring the tests, shut down should have been immediate to have any effect on transmission

3 hours ago, angelsfort said:

proven fact the vaccine  prevent you from being a carrier

1 hour ago, naxer said:

True, so much for following science - cruises should only be for vaccinated people if over the age at which the vaccine is allowed

53 minutes ago, bamaone said:

That’s just opinion. I have the opinion that anyone infected will be quarantined and  non infected can party on. I doubt there will be any test after initial boarding unless there are passengers with symptoms. 

I think those that are un-vaccinated will have to take multiple test while onboard at their own expense.  it is the only way  to keep me ie The Vaccinated safe from that 5% chance of catching the virus for the carriers ie The Un-vaccinated

We all have opinions those expressed are only mine

although  "I disapprove of what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it"
 Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I think those that are un-vaccinated will have to take multiple test while onboard at their own expense.  it is the only way  to keep me ie The Vaccinated safe from that 5% chance of catching the virus for the carriers ie The Un-vaccinated

We all have opinions those expressed are only mine

although  "I disapprove of what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it"
 Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

I totally agree with your last quote.

I also think 95% chances you won’t become infected are extremely good odds. Especially considering most vaccinated who do get infected are usually unaware they are.

Edited by bamaone
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I think those that are un-vaccinated will have to take multiple test while onboard at their own expense.

I'm not trying to guess what the cruise lines are thinking, but IMHO, I have a feeling that they suspect that these testing fees and other restrictions will reduce the number of unvaccinated from sailing at this time. And, from what I've read, children and those who can't be vaccinated for a particular reason would be exempt from the testing fees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamaone said:

I totally agree with your last quote.

I also think 95% chances you won’t become infected are extremely good odds. Especially considering most vaccinated who do get infected are usually unaware they are.

I look at it like this...we've been told that herd immunity is achieved somewhere around 70 - 80% from vaccinations or those who are naturally immune from previous exposure. So, a cruise ship sailing 95% vaccinated should have enough folks onboard to prevent a major outbreak.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

You are so right.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know. Perhaps it varies with the severity of the illness and not just number. But both CDC and Carnival reference threshold.

I tried to search for CDC cruise termination threshold  but I couldn’t find any information or examples.

3 hours ago, angelsfort said:

Actually when the CDC changed the mask recommendation a few weeks ago, they said studies have shown that the viral load of infected vaccinated people was too low to pass to others.  

I am vaccinated but my worry is less about catching the virus than about the protocols that will be in place.  If they make unvaccinated wear masks and social distance, I can only imagine the angry passengers not wearing a mask when they are told to mask up.  Cruise Lines may threat all passengers as unvaxed to avoid this conflict.  

55 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I'm not trying to guess what the cruise lines are thinking, but IMHO, I have a feeling that they suspect that these testing fees and other restrictions will reduce the number of unvaccinated from sailing at this time. And, from what I've read, children and those who can't be vaccinated for a particular reason would be exempt from the testing fees.

why should anyone be exempted from the fees if un-vaccinated, being un-vaccinated poses the same risk no mater who you are, period.

• Thanks 1