Venice hotel - need advice/help

mduffy1834

We will be cruising on RCCL Reflection from Fort Lauderdale to Rome, transferring to Rome airport, flying to Venice for one night, then embarking on NCL Star on 5/3/22.

We have been to Venice once and absolutely loved it (land vacation).  We would like to stay somewhere near the airport (?) and train station into Venice.  

Once at the train station in Venice, we are pretty sure we can get around for a quick tour and dinner, then back to hotel.  We are not picky and are able to walk and carry luggage on our own if necessary.  Most of the hotels on this board are nearer to cruise port, which may also be an option if we can get there via land taxi or water taxi.

We stayed at the Carnival Palace Hotel on our last visit, which was lovely and convenient.  The tour that we took arranged for all our transportation to the airport so I have no idea what that would cost.  It was great on our morning flying home - private taxi right up to the hotel and dropped us off at airport.  Guess I didn't pay much attention to the comings and goings to see what would be convenient to the port area (wherever that may be in May 2022).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thanks

I wouldn't recommend staying near the airport.

The cruise port hotels are around Piazzale Roma, which is the last point of land travel in Venice; about 20 minutes from the airport by car or bus. A taxi is about 45E or the ATVO Airport express bus is 8E.

There are a few hotels right at Piazzale Roma, or you can walk a few blocks and over a bridge or 2 to find many more hotels.   Depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

When you're ready to board the ship, since you're travelling light, you can walk a few blocks and take the People Mover to the pier 1E.

This article provides more hotel info and map of the area.

17 Venice hotels near cruise ships | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

• Like 1

I would suggest taking the high speed train from Rome to Venice, then following @mapleleaves suggestions for a hotel near the train station or Piazzale Roma, which are close together. That would allow you to enjoy your night in Venice easier. And the time on the train will be similar, but more relaxing than going to FCO, security, checking and claiming bags, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny, the 3 hotels I was seriously considering were the Carnival Palace, Olimpia and Hilton Garden Inn. We ultimately decided on the Hilton (have stayed here before), but would love to hear more about the other 2 in case we decide to change.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, Host Jacquelyn said:

It's funny, the 3 hotels I was seriously considering were the Carnival Palace, Olimpia and Hilton Garden Inn. We ultimately decided on the Hilton (have stayed here before), but would love to hear more about the other 2 in case we decide to change.

This is simply a matter of personal preference, but we prefer to stay in Venice when visiting Venice :).  Of the other two hotels the Olimpia is most convenient since you can take the express bus from VCE directly to the Piazale Roma and stroll over to the hotel.  Its location is also very convenient to a major vaporetto stop.  We have never seen the Carnival Palace but have no problem with its location.

But all my advice regarding Venice is subject to what happens with cruise ship embarkation ports.   But again, the Olimpia is very convenient to the Venice train station (and connections to other ports/parts of Italy) with the Carnival Palace also relatively close to the train station.   That being said, when staying within Venice one must be very careful to consider how you will get yourself to other places with luggage.  Even a relatively short walk can seem difficult when dragging lots of heavy luggage.

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, yogini06 said:

We are staying in Mestre, at the Hilton Garden Inn.  They provide a shuttle from the airport.  It is ten minute bus ride to Piazzale Roma.  

We stayed there.  Good sized hotel rooms, excellent breakfast.  Bus stop right outside the hotel.   We purchased passes from the hotel front desk. Yes a quick 10 minute ride to Venice.  They have a nice bar and lovely swimming pool.

• Like 2