Unable to Add a Third Passenger

Tee & Chilli

Each lifeboat has a maximum capacity. The passengers assigned to that lifeboat cannot exceed that number.  So it is possible that the ship is not full, yet you would not be able to add a third person to a particular stateroom because of its life boat capacity.

This means that you might be able to pick a different stateroom and have three passengers there.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Each lifeboat has a maximum capacity. The passengers assigned to that lifeboat cannot exceed that number.  So it is possible that the ship is not full, yet you would not be able to add a third person to a particular stateroom because of its life boat capacity.

This means that you might be able to pick a different stateroom and have three passengers there.

That would be my thought too. We've seen similar posts from time to time long before COVID.

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That would be my thought too. We've seen similar posts from time to time long before COVID.

OP said it's an Edge cruise. All upcoming Edge or Equinox cruises through the end of August are closed to adding third passengers to any cabin. 

18 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

OP said it's an Edge cruise. All upcoming Edge or Equinox cruises through the end of August are closed to adding third passengers to any cabin. 

Wow it looks like we might have lucked out, booked a cabin for 3 (all adults) when the sailings were announced and this wasn’t an issue. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this limitation. What's the purpose? It seems unfair that threesomes have to either book a second cabin or miss these cruises. Celebrity could still control total numbers without this restriction.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this limitation. What's the purpose? It seems unfair that threesomes have to either book a second cabin or miss these cruises. Celebrity could still control total numbers without this restriction.

I assume that this is how X wants to control capacity. I was told yesterday when booking the EQ that all X ships are going out well under capacity to keep crowd levels down. 

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No specific reason has been given but there could be several. Among the top would be an effort to reduce overall capacity and discouraging unvaccinated minors since guests 3/4 are typically kids.  No insides, oceanviews or any cabins on deck 6 are open to book either. 

Just now, cruisingator2 said:

I assume that this is how X wants to control capacity. I was told yesterday when booking the EQ that all X ships are going out well under capacity to keep crowd levels down. 

I understand the capacity issue, just not the third-in-a-cabin issue. For example, you could have two threesomes instead of three couples, six passengers either way. Not exactly rocket science to work out.

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

No specific reason has been given but there could be several. Among the top would be an effort to reduce overall capacity and discouraging unvaccinated minors since guests 3/4 are typically kids.  No insides, oceanviews or any cabins on deck 6 are open to book either. 

The kids issue makes sense, especially as the restrictions are for the summer months. Good thinking! 😇

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I understand the capacity issue, just not the third-in-a-cabin issue. For example, you could have two threesomes instead of three couples, six passengers either way. Not exactly rocket science to work out.

The kids issue makes sense, especially as the restrictions are for the summer months. Good thinking! 😇

I’m assuming that X has the total capacity capped based on a certain number of open staterooms with no more than two per stateroom. Easier to control. 

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

I’m assuming that X has the total capacity capped based on a certain number of open staterooms with no more than two per stateroom. Easier to control. 

As the number of passengers and not the number of cabins is what they need to control, it's really quite simple. They could have offered "x" many cabins for two and "y" many cabins for three, equally in total the number they are looking for. As I said, this isn't rocket science.

Personally, I think the suggestion by @Jeremiah1212 that it's to limit the number of unvaccinated kids makes a great deal more sense.

Well, presumably not all the balconies are booked, so they should offer a special deal for groups of three adults: connecting or adjoining cabins with low single supplement, 150% or less.  I do realize some folks booking three are anticipating the reduced third person fare…EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I think they also need some time to confirm who the TBD guests are upcoming reservations also since you can book with only the primary guest name. If those third and forth passengers are listed as TBD's on the res are minors they don't have their age tied to the reservation. It could complicate that 5% capacity a bit since they could technically already be exceeding it that 5% threshold. I don't think that's likely but it needs addressed.

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, presumably not all the balconies are booked, so they should offer a special deal for groups of three adults: connecting or adjoining cabins with low single supplement, 150% or less.  I do realize some folks booking three are anticipating the reduced third person fare…EM

When I couldn’t add a third person and all solo cabins were full, I was quoted $3,700 for one person.

22 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

When I couldn’t add a third person and all solo cabins were full, I was quoted $3,700 for one person.

Ouch! Not a great way to treat customers.

They don't mind you booking for three, they just won't let you do it in a single cabin that holds three people, forcing you to book two cabins and charging far more. This is a prime example of blindly following rules, and as Douglas Bader once said, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

I just came on here to ask this same question. I am trying to book a family veranda for 4 on one of the Alaska sailings and it will not let me do it.  Due to the age of my children, I cannot put them in their own cabin and I do not want to book my husband and I in two different cabins or just have a cabin wasted.  I already contacted Celebrity and they "okayed" my under 12 kids since my husband and I were vaccinated. I am waiting to hear back from my TA about whether I can add them. 

Just now, Eli_6 said:

I just came on here to ask this same question. I am trying to book a family veranda for 4 on one of the Alaska sailings and it will not let me do it.  Due to the age of my children, I cannot put them in their own cabin and I do not want to book my husband and I in two different cabins or just have a cabin wasted.  I already contacted Celebrity and they "okayed" my under 12 kids since my husband and I were vaccinated. I am waiting to hear back from my TA about whether I can add them. 

If you can get connecting cabins, book a child and adult in each. Who sleeps where once underway is up to you to decide. I assume that the kids don't sleep in your room with you at home, so a connecting cabin with the door left open should work.

6 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Oceanview and insides are being sold on EQ July 25th

Ok, now I am even more confused.  My TA said there were several 4 person balconies available on deck 6 but I can't book 4 people (or 5 people) in the family veranda that is a 5 person room!  What???  That makes no sense.

Edited by Eli_6