What’s your favorite travel insurance?

ItsADryHumor

Saw good reviews for Allianz earlier, and a note by one that language was added to COVER (not exclude) CoVID issues.  Just received our policy, and it excludes "epidemic" issues with no rider language overriding that to INCLUDE CoVID coverage.  You might want to read whatever Allianz is selling you carefully if you are concerned about post October 31 Celebrity coverage for trip interruption due to CoVID cases, including your own!

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

13.  An epidemic;

DEFINITIONS

Epidemic:  A contagious disease that spreads rapidly and widely among the population in an area and which is recognized as an epidemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

On 6/11/2021 at 6:08 AM, stinkyenglishteacher said:

I’ve never used travel insurance before, but my husband and I decided it might be a good investment for our upcoming Edge cruise. Does anyone recommend a specific brand for a one time use? He travels all the time, so we may covert it to a full year afterward. 

InsureMYtrip; used them for years, highly recommend. 

42 minutes ago, fishbonz said:

Well alot of good info about companies out there we have always used AIG for all these years. If anyone  doesn't mind for a 10 day cruise what is the cost from some of these companies ?   

Our annual policy with Geo Blue runs us $440.00 a year.

Med Jet varies depending on whether you are buying a single trip, a year or multiple years.  They also offer a very nice discount for AARP members.  As low as $99 for something short term and $295 for an annual policy.  That may be before the AARP discount too.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Just received our policy, and it excludes "epidemic" issues with no rider language overriding that to INCLUDE CoVID coverage. 

I also just received our policy.  At the end of the policy there is a section of OUR policy entitled "Epidemic Coverage Endorsement" which specifically states that coverage is included.

"You or a traveling companion becomes ill or injured, or develops a medical condition (including being diagnosed with an epidemic or pandemic disease such as COVID-19)..."

Suggest investigating your policy to confirm it includes this endorsement.

Edited by Ravbo

Negative.  No riders, addenda or endorsements.  Have asked my TA to look into it.

It could be because this policy has rolled over (but we are talking fresh version mailed to me 21 June 2021) numerous times since our pre-CoVID TA was canceled for late 2019.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree and have Med Jet in addition to Coverage I have with Sapphire.     The annual price is very reasonable and much cheaper than getting many Travel Policies that are loaded with things that are not needed by me.  

Another consideration may be when you are traveling.   Celebrity is currently providing free medical evacuation on cruises through October 31

COVID-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.*
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party.

Jim,

That's a great tip about Celebrity providing for COVID problems on sailings prior to October 31, 2021.  You just saved me some money.  I was beginning to start the process of looking for Covid  insurance for our September cruise, and luckily started with this thread.  But I still will need something for a cruise we have scheduled after Thanksgiving on another line, so I will keep looking.

Also, I have always relied on Chase Sapphire's $100k for emergency evacuation, but it sounds like that might not be sufficient.

19 minutes ago, DWhit said:

Also, I have always relied on Chase Sapphire's $100k for emergency evacuation, but it sounds like that might not be sufficient

The problem with Chase Sapphire(which we also have) and most travel insurance is medical evacuation clauses usually include "when medically necessary"  which leaves boatloads of room for it NOT to be medically necessary.  With a policy like Med Jet if you are in a hospital somewhere and want to go home you just make the call.  (unless you are being quarantined....they haven't included that yet).  Friends found out the hard way when one of them was hurt and needed surgery and their travel insurance said they could get it done in the near 3rd world country they were in.  Wound up costing them over $100K to get home.  MedJet would have brought them home.

13 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The problem with Chase Sapphire(which we also have) and most travel insurance is medical evacuation clauses usually include "when medically necessary"  which leaves boatloads of room for it NOT to be medically necessary.  With a policy like Med Jet if you are in a hospital somewhere and want to go home you just make the call.  (unless you are being quarantined....they haven't included that yet).  Friends found out the hard way when one of them was hurt and needed surgery and their travel insurance said they could get it done in the near 3rd world country they were in.  Wound up costing them over $100K to get home.  MedJet would have brought them home.

Thanks for that heads up. It’s hard to know what’s important until you go through it.  It usually all sounds good on paper.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, Gracie115 said:

We have used Geo Blue also for medical coverage.  We also have Med Jet for evacuation.  Our credit card covers most everything else.

why both?

geoblue covers med vac as well

15 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

why both?

GeoBlue like most others cover evacuation to the nearest facility.   Any subsequent evacuation to a hospital near home is only covered if determined "medically necessary" by both the attending Dr AND the insurance company.  

MedJet will transport you hospital to hospital at your request providing you are medically stable to make the trip.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

GeoBlue like most others cover evacuation to the nearest facility.   Any subsequent evacuation to a hospital near home is only covered if determined "medically necessary" by both the attending Dr AND the insurance company.  

MedJet will transport you hospital to hospital at your request providing you are medically stable to make the trip.

Not only that Medjet will have a certified nurse accompany you during the flight back home.

That happened to me years ago.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

why both?

Read the fine print.  It states "if medically necessary"  as I said before we had friends that thought they were covered, insurance said they could have their surgery in a near 3rd world country they didn't need evacuation.  They did not want to opt that way.   It cost them over $100,000.00 to get home.  Med Jet would have flown them home without issue. 

Edited by Gracie115

On 8/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, canderson said:

Saw good reviews for Allianz earlier, and a note by one that language was added to COVER (not exclude) CoVID issues.  Just received our policy, and it excludes "epidemic" issues with no rider language overriding that to INCLUDE CoVID coverage.  You might want to read whatever Allianz is selling you carefully if you are concerned about post October 31 Celebrity coverage for trip interruption due to CoVID cases, including your own!

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

13.  An epidemic;

DEFINITIONS

Epidemic:  A contagious disease that spreads rapidly and widely among the population in an area and which is recognized as an epidemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

OK.  My TA FINALLY got hold of Allianz.  Our policy was issued pre 27 July when Allianz started adding COVID coverage.

First, whether any of you can get that coverage from Allianz is tied to whether the state insurance commission in YOUR state has approved the language.  Who knew?  So coverage of that sort is unavailable from Allianz for Colorado residents, and however many others not yet included.

Policies issued by Allianz prior to 27 July won't have had this language yet.

So if you're interested in this kind of coverage, be SURE to check your policy, regardless of which agency you're using for your trip insurance.

And remember -- at least for now, all of the great assurances being provided by X for guests who contract prior to boarding, or while on a cruise, END on 31 October per their web site.  Don't know of anyone yet who can say what X will do once we get to 1 November.

747933136_XAssistance.JPG.1cd73b182fd3e1d079bce41e83890fae.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, Pickels said:

nsureMYtrip; used them for years, highly recommend. 

I second a recommendation for them. Great agents - very helpful and informative. I used to go with Allianz through my AAA agent, but they got to be very expensive as you go up through the age brackets. I've been working with Generali (formerly CSA) and have liked the coverage they provide. What's great about insuremytrip is that you can easily peruse as many companies as you want to compare coverage and pricing. The covid situation has surely made all of this more complicated. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 8/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, fishbonz said:

Well alot of good info about companies out there we have always used AIG for all these years. If anyone  doesn't mind for a 10 day cruise what is the cost from some of these companies ?   

Are you talking about insuring a single trip or an annual policy?

As you know, policies for a comprehensive travel plan covering a single trip are priced according to the amount insured and the age of the applicants.  MedJet has short term membership starting at $99.

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

As there are a number of break through covid cases I am anticipating to purchase covid coverage insurance for my 10 day Caribbean cruise in February 2022. On went on Forbes and they had a number of policies and one of their top rated was 7 corners Roundtrip Choice. It covers trip interruptions, trip cancellation, covid medical for $500k, medical evacuation at $1million. It’s cost was about $658 for two of us. The coverages are primary and not secondary. Is anyone familiar with them and their own selected  coverages ?

The only issue I have is they say it is non refundable after 14 days. So if you cancel the cruise prior to sailing it appears there is no refund of the premium even though the need is gone. How far in advance is everyone buying this covid insurance?  1 month , 2 or at final payment time? Thank!!

I am not familiar with 7Corners, but the coverage you list is not unusual. Several policies provide that and treat Covid as any other illness. You can compare at sites like insuremytrip. They have a search feature that allows you to find Covid-friendly policies available in your state.

The advantages of the policy you mention are high dollar limits and primary coverage. Don’t be swayed by the million dollar evacuation coverage. Insurance companies know it will never cost that much, but it looks attractive to policy holders. The broker who answers questions here on CC Cruise/Travel Insurance forum says about $130,000 is the most expensive one he has seen. Adventure expeditions to remote locations require high limits; but for the garden-variety cruise, a million dollars is not necessary.

It is common for insurance to be non-refundable after the examination period. Some people have reported they were able to get a policy transferred to another cruise instead. If you are not interested in that, then you could wait until final payment as long as you are not concerned about pre-existing conditions of Cancel for Any Reason coverage. Those have to be purchased in a window close to initial deposit, but there are policies that will cover pre-existing if purchased at final payment.

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

As there are a number of break through covid cases I am anticipating to purchase covid coverage insurance for my 10 day Caribbean cruise in February 2022. On went on Forbes and they had a number of policies and one of their top rated was 7 corners Roundtrip Choice. It covers trip interruptions, trip cancellation, covid medical for $500k, medical evacuation at $1million. It’s cost was about $658 for two of us.

Ouch.  Kinda stick it to us old farts in expensive cabins 

15nts with 7 Corners as primary = $3,589.  If secondary medical and somewhat lower coverage, $2,594.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, canderson said:

OK.  My TA FINALLY got hold of Allianz.  Our policy was issued pre 27 July when Allianz started adding COVID coverage.

First, whether any of you can get that coverage from Allianz is tied to whether the state insurance commission in YOUR state has approved the language.  Who knew?  So coverage of that sort is unavailable from Allianz for Colorado residents, and however many others not yet included.

Policies issued by Allianz prior to 27 July won't have had this language yet.

So if you're interested in this kind of coverage, be SURE to check your policy, regardless of which agency you're using for your trip insurance.

And remember -- at least for now, all of the great assurances being provided by X for guests who contract prior to boarding, or while on a cruise, END on 31 October per their web site.  Don't know of anyone yet who can say what X will do once we get to 1 November.

747933136_XAssistance.JPG.1cd73b182fd3e1d079bce41e83890fae.JPG

sorry if this was covered - Doses Celebrity provide this "assistance" to those would booked long ago and did a lift and shift?

22 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

sorry if this was covered - Doses Celebrity provide this "assistance" to those would booked long ago and did a lift and shift?

They're specific that the current plan applies to all sailings up to and until 31 October departures, and we see no exclusions for any prior bookings.   Whether X will choose to modify or extend after that date is anyone's guess.

Edited by canderson

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Yes, but as I noted, we're 15 nights in an 'expensive cabin'.  I had to enter a large figure into their 'vacation total' field on the form.

Yep. That is what I am seeing across the board for our Norway cruise next summer. We have two cruises booked for 2022 so I am considering looking at an annual plan for medical and adding MedJet for evacuation.  I don’t expect the Australia cruise to go and if things are not significantly better by next year, I’ll cancel the other one as well. So I am not seriously shopping for insurance yet.