Visiting Acropolis between flight and embarkation

swafly5909

We are booked on NCL Jade next month out of Athens - our first time in Greece, and our first cruise not departing from U.S. soil.  Using NCL’s BOGO airfare, we are scheduled to land in Athens at 2:30pm.  Our ship departs at 11pm.  I realize this isn’t a ton of time.  (We were already stretching my mom’s limits asking for a week of babysitting our three kids, so we didn’t even attempt to add a day pre/post cruise.)  

Is it totally unrealistic to squeeze in a quick visit to the acropolis between the airport and embarkation?  We’d have all our luggage as well - unless some way to arrange a luggage transfer from airport to ship exists?

Lots of factors to consider - time restraints, unfamiliar surroundings, jet lag, luggage, heat.  But if it’s at all possible, we would hate to miss the opportunity.

You can do it with a driving service such as George's Taxi. They can pick you up at the airport and take you straight to the Acropolis for a not too long visit and then on to the port. Get in touch with them at taxigreece.com and tell them what you want to do. The advantage is that the Acropolis may not be as crowded later in the afternoon.  Then buy your Acropolis tickets on the official website so you can go right in. 

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

If it asks you to pick the region, say Attica, then pick Acropolis and Slopes. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you noted, there are a lot of factors to consider.   With that in mind, I'd suggest going immediately to the ship from the airport.  By the time you've checked your luggage onto the ship,  you'll know exactly how much time you have to work with. 

There will be plenty of taxis around the pier.  Grab one and head to the Acropolis.  IIRC it was about a 30 minute drive. Since you'll be arriving later in the day, perhaps the lines won't be as long. ( I guess you could buy a skip the line ticket but be willing to eat the cost if you can't get there.)  

If your ship departs at 11,  you probably need to be on board by 9, but  plan on being back by 8pm .... you want lots of wiggle room in case of heavy traffic, etc

• Thanks 1

And remember, there might be new protocols in place for boarding as well.  Not saying there "will be", but just something else to consider.

• Like 1

Going to the ship first means that the OP won't make it. You are doubling the traffic doing that in addition to check in time. Going straight to the Acropolis is the only way. He can be there by 4:30 - 5 at the very latest.  Spend one hour there, and be at the port by 6:30.  It is doable with a reliable transfer service.

• Like 2

What time is the ship muster drill likely to be?  You don’t really want miss that.  I’m guessing it is before dinner if ship boarding starts around noon like usual. 

Personally, I would go straight to the ship and relax on board.  Especially if this is at the end of an international flight.  I once had plans to land in Barcelona from the US, drop bags at the ship, and then go sightseeing.  We abandoned that idea as soon as we got to the ship after the flight.  It’s unfortunate you will miss the Acropolis, but a rushed experience in this situation isn’t worth it to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

What time is the ship muster drill likely to be?  You don’t really want miss that.  I’m guessing it is before dinner if ship boarding starts around noon like usual. 

Personally, I would go straight to the ship and relax on board.  Especially if this is at the end of an international flight.  I once had plans to land in Barcelona from the US, drop bags at the ship, and then go sightseeing.  We abandoned that idea as soon as we got to the ship after the flight.  It’s unfortunate you will miss the Acropolis, but a rushed experience in this situation isn’t worth it to me. 

Muster drills can be made up and frequently are for late-arriving passengers. I wouldn't let that deter me.

Also, I think much depends on how motivated the traveler is and how well s/he deals with jet lag. Whenever I fly overseas, even if I don't sleep much, I find I am so excited when I arrive that it powers me through most of the ensuing day (although bedtime usually follows shortly after dinner).

• Like 1

I appreciate all your ideas and suggestions! 

While we enjoy seeing interesting sites around the world, neither of us are big history buffs, so I'm thinking perhaps we can add a couple quick photo stops along our route from plane to ship.  I found an article with several suggested lookout points near the acropolis.  It's not the same as visiting up close, of course, but perhaps we could still get a great view of it without the extra time and complications of tickets and lines.  

3 hours ago, barbiecruiser27 said:

Following this- looking to book Jade for October and using NCL air and hubby has an acropolis tattoo- he's dying to see it...

We are flying in a day early. It might be worth it if the Acropolis is a must see. I’ve heard it’s spectacular at night (and different but amazing during the day), so we get a shot at both. 

8 hours ago, jas283a said:

We are flying in a day early. It might be worth it if the Acropolis is a must see. I’ve heard it’s spectacular at night (and different but amazing during the day), so we get a shot at both. 

I second this idea. For so many reasons it's good to arrive a day ahead of your cruise departure. Seeing the Acropolis up close in the daytime and lit up at night (from a distance) are two of the major pleasures. But you also have a breather in case anything goes wrong with your flights and have a chance to conquer at least some of the jet lag before the cruise starts.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, swafly5909 said:

I appreciate all your ideas and suggestions! 

While we enjoy seeing interesting sites around the world, neither of us are big history buffs, so I'm thinking perhaps we can add a couple quick photo stops along our route from plane to ship.  I found an article with several suggested lookout points near the acropolis.  It's not the same as visiting up close, of course, but perhaps we could still get a great view of it without the extra time and complications of tickets and lines.  

The Acropolis can be seen from a number of places, including from the top decks of your ship.  However, nothing compares with being up on the hill and walking up close to the Parthenon, Erectheion, etc. even if you are not a history buff.  It is one of those truly magical and gorgeous places. 

We have been to Athens many times and we always go back to the Acropolis.  

There will be no lines if you get your tickets on the website.  And your luggage will be perfectly safe with your transfer service driver.

Think about it.