Southampton hotels

3 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

will be taking national express coach night before cruise and need nearest hotel to coach station hubby can limp to

will get taxi to cruise port next day 

Nothing within limping distance.

Pick a hotel you wish to stay in and take a cab.

3 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

will be taking national express coach night before cruise and need nearest hotel to coach station hubby can limp to

will get taxi to cruise port next day 

Nearest are Ibis & Ibis Budget & Novotel, about 550 yds in one direction, or Premier Inn West Quay and Moxy, also 500 yds in the other direction. All on level ground.

Or there's a small taxi rank at the coach station 

Check latest hotel check-in times

https://goo.gl/maps/24ehJnoMJVXPm7mG6 

(time/distance shown is total from Premier Inn to coach station to Ibis)

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

The Southampton Harbor Hotel is beautiful, but way too expensive for three nights and we need two rooms.  We will be staying in Winchester after our daughter flies home.

I liked the look of "Leonardo Royal" but reviews are iffy.

Thoughts?

44 minutes ago, mev said:

The Southampton Harbor Hotel is beautiful, but way too expensive for three nights and we need two rooms.  We will be staying in Winchester after our daughter flies home.

Thoughts?

I am staying at Mercure in Winchester for 3 nights.  I stayed there in 2018.  If you sign up for www.accor.com their loyalty program you get 5% discount.

2 hours ago, mev said:

Thoughts?

I'm a local.

I have never stayed at this property, but the location is excellent - convenient to cruisers, a five minute walk to the city centre shopping & restaurant malls, and the sights, pubs & restaurants of the old town.

5,000 reviews on this link, but the hotel was acquired by Leonardo Royal in 2019, so bear that in mind with the earlier reviews.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/leonardo-royal-hotel-southampton-grand-harbour.en-gb.html

JB 🙂

59 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I'm a local.

I have never stayed at this property, but the location is excellent - convenient to cruisers, a five minute walk to the city centre shopping & restaurant malls, and the sights, pubs & restaurants of the old town.

5,000 reviews on this link, but the hotel was acquired by Leonardo Royal in 2019, so bear that in mind with the earlier reviews.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/leonardo-royal-hotel-southampton-grand-harbour.en-gb.html

JB 🙂

I have stayed at Premier Inn West Quay a few times.  Not sure where Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Habour in relation to Premier Inn West Quay.  If I remember, Premier Inn West Quay was on a curve on the road, an indoor pool was across the road and a hotel on the other side of inside pool?  It used to be Grand Harbour?

I am booked at Premier Inn West Quay, a twin with breakfast for 1 night Friday, May 27 for £132.98, can cancel up to 2pm, no payment.

I can get direct with Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour for the same date for £151,

breakfast, free cancellation up to 2pm on May 27, no payment.

I am wondering if worth switching to Leonardo Royal?

Edited by phabric

7 hours ago, phabric said:

I have stayed at Premier Inn West Quay a few times.  Not sure where Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Habour in relation to Premier Inn West Quay.  If I remember, Premier Inn West Quay was on a curve on the road, an indoor pool was across the road and a hotel on the other side of inside pool?  It used to be Grand Harbour?

I am booked at Premier Inn West Quay, a twin with breakfast for 1 night Friday, May 27 for £132.98, can cancel up to 2pm, no payment.

I can get direct with Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour for the same date for £151,

breakfast, free cancellation up to 2pm on May 27, no payment.

I am wondering if worth switching to Leonardo Royal?

Yes, it’s  a Massive step up  for only £18.00

4 hours ago, mev said:

Thanks for the advice, we're booked at the Leonardo Royal

Something else checked off!

Mary

Did you join Leonardo’s loyalty program? Typically discounted pricing as soon as you sign up. They have properties all over Europe, and in my experience are very nice. Their B&B rates give you a very nice full breakfast that’s quite nice. 

I know nothing about this property, but I’ve been very impressed with their hotels. 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard, or stayed at, the Elizabeth House Hotel? Its reviews are mixed with the latest ones being the best ones.  I’m only in Southampton for the day before the cruise.

Do you know if he Duke of Wellington pub is still open. I had a lovely fish and chip lunch there last time, and would love to go back.

My cruise isn’t until Nov 2022, so I have lots of time.  Am looking forward to going back!

18 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Has anyone heard, or stayed at, the Elizabeth House Hotel? Its reviews are mixed with the latest ones being the best ones.  I’m only in Southampton for the day before the cruise.

Do you know if he Duke of Wellington pub is still open. I had a lovely fish and chip lunch there last time, and would love to go back.

My cruise isn’t until Nov 2022, so I have lots of time.  Am looking forward to going back!

Elizabeth House Hotel doesn't figure large amongst tourists because it's privately-owned and a little way (15 minute walk) north of the city centre amenities (and a half-hour walk from the Duke of Wellington,) and there's a good selection of more-convenient hotels.  

But it's a decent establishment, witness the reviews on Booking.com's website

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-elizabeth-house.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRmNjAtMjk4ZC00ZWFiLWIyOGUtMzhiMjAwNzRmZDRk2AIG4AIB;sid=b6987a1e00f3a445db2f05cefb8d24e6;atlas_src=sr_iw_title;dest_id=0;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total;ucfs=1;sig=v1yBWOUBcw&#tab-reviews

Yes, Duke of Wellington is still open - over the centuries it's been thro' mch worse than the current little virus difficulties.  (Website is a little out-of date re Covid restrictions). 

JB 🙂

I usually have stayed at the Premier Inn on West Quay….but not at the price they’re asking now.  It’s been a few years so maybe I’m out of the loop.  The Elizabeth House appealed to me because of its former ‘life’ as a Victorian Home.  They have a restaurant and I’m only there for one night’s stay. I can get a taxi to the pub if I decide to go.  Thank you for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

I usually have stayed at the Premier Inn on West Quay….but not at the price they’re asking now.  It’s been a few years so maybe I’m out of the loop.  The Elizabeth House appealed to me because of its former ‘life’ as a Victorian Home.  They have a restaurant and I’m only there for one night’s stay. I can get a taxi to the pub if I decide to go.  Thank you for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. 

About three years ago, we spoke with a couple, who were on a budget and stayed a the Claremont B&B.  They said it was very clean and reasonable and for one night “did us well”.

Could be worth a look?

Just beginning the planning stages for our Sept 2022 Oktoberfest cruise with Princess.  Fly into Heathrow the day before.  Looking for simplest way to get to Southampton.  Looks like National Express is the way to go.  Any other suggestions?  Don't want to drive.  Any guidance on getting from plane to bus and paying for same.

Reading through this thread enjoy hotel input.  Any thoughts on White Star Tavern.  I do see they are closed until February 2022.  Also, how do you get from National Express stop in Southhampton, to any hotel?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, RBAlbany said:

Just beginning the planning stages for our Sept 2022 Oktoberfest cruise with Princess.  Fly into Heathrow the day before.  Looking for simplest way to get to Southampton.  Looks like National Express is the way to go.  Any other suggestions?  Don't want to drive.  Any guidance on getting from plane to bus and paying for same.

Reading through this thread enjoy hotel input.  Any thoughts on White Star Tavern.  I do see they are closed until February 2022.  Also, how do you get from National Express stop in Southhampton, to any hotel?  Thanks.

Never stated there but looks nice.  Try a Fullers 1845 or two with your evening meal.

With regard to National Express, buy online in advance for a reduced price.  Coach points are clearly indicated after immigration, with flat surfaces for the luggage trolley push. Plenty of Taxis at Southampton coach terminus.

3 hours ago, RBAlbany said:

For National Express coach (bus) book in advance at https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Bookings don't go out to next September  - just make a note to book around June/July time.

You do need to pre-book in case the bus books-out.

Choose a bus departing at least 90 minutes after your scheduled landing time.

If you arrive at T's 2 or 3, it's a well-signed covered walk of about ten-minutes to Central Bus Station. The bus also picks up from the vehicle concourses outside T4 and T5, which are on other sides of the airport.

There's a taxi rank at Southampton coach station, the drive to any city centre hotel should cost under £10.

Be sure to book a direct coach to Southampton coach station, journey time just under 2 hours, fare about £20 to £25 pp. 

Don't book If there's no suitably-timed direct coach - those which require a change take you into central London's Vctoria coach station where you switch to a Southampton-bound coach & the total journey time is more like 5 hours.  In that case consider instead a private transfer - you might prefer that anyway. Fares are just short of £100 for a sedan, journey time about 90 minutes. Suggestions & more details in the "sticky" topic at the top of this British Isles forum.

The White Star Tavern is a bijou pub/hotel which rarely gets a mention on Cruise Critic, but gets great reviews elsewhere. I've never been in there, but it's on Oxford Street, amongst a selection of pubs & restaurants, altho there are many more in the city centre, about a 10 - 15 minute walk.

An easy & level 10-minute walk to Ocean Cruise Terminal, used by most Princess ships.

Most Southampton hotels are fine, but modern and - dare I say it - mainly bland. The White Star Tavern is one of only a handful of quirky historic alternatives. Others are the Pig-in-the-Wall (built into the city wal adjacent the West Gatel) and Ennio's (Italian restaurant with rooms, converted from a warehouse) - both are more convenient to the historic quarter, waterfront, and city shopping malls. 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

We will using National Express at terminal 5 going to Winchester.  There is a direct coach.

Heathrow airport site show they stop at pole 9-15 outside arrivals.

Is there a destination board to show which pole to wait at?  Will there be staff there to help?

Will the Coach show Winchester as the destination or will there a different name as final destination?

7 hours ago, phabric said:

We will using National Express at terminal 5 going to Winchester.  There is a direct coach.

Heathrow airport site show they stop at pole 9-15 outside arrivals.

Is there a destination board to show which pole to wait at?  Will there be staff there to help?

Will the Coach show Winchester as the destination or will there a different name as final destination?

Have you noted the change in National Express service at Winchester. They stopped completely for a while, but your post prompted me to check and it seems they have restarted using a park and ride facility. John Bull may have more local knowledge:

https://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/19719615.national-express-resumes-service-winchester/

It’s service number 204, final destination Poole. I am at Terminal 5 on Sunday and I’ll have a look for the information boards etc, if I have time. The National Express office in the Terminal has closed permanently. 

4 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Have you noted the change in National Express service at Winchester. They stopped completely for a while, but your post prompted me to check and it seems they have restarted using a park and ride facility. John Bull may have more local knowledge:

https://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/19719615.national-express-resumes-service-winchester/

It’s service number 204, final destination Poole. I am at Terminal 5 on Sunday and I’ll have a look for the information boards etc, if I have time. The National Express office in the Terminal has closed permanently. 

Thanks for the update on National Express stop.

Is the Mercure hotel near St Catherine park & ride car park at Bar End?  Will we need to take a taxi to get to the hotel?

Last time, I went to Winchester by coach it was from terminal 2.  We sat at National Express terminal waiting for the destination board to say Winchester, finally I had to ask when it was going to show up only to find out it wasn't as it was not a final stop and to go now as it was boarding.. 

They have not posted Winchester to Southampton yet.

Edited by phabric

Trying to find a place to do a load of laundry prior to our cruise. We'll be staying at the Southampton West Quay, which suits our needs and budget for all but laundry. Reportedly there is no laundry service at the hotel. I am hoping there is some self or full service laundry prior to boarding our Celebrity ship. We'll have a week's worth of laundry needing attention! <g>

Anyone have any experience in that area and can help finding laundry facilities?

Doug

9 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Trying to find a place to do a load of laundry prior to our cruise. We'll be staying at the Southampton West Quay, which suits our needs and budget for all but laundry. Reportedly there is no laundry service at the hotel. I am hoping there is some self or full service laundry prior to boarding our Celebrity ship. We'll have a week's worth of laundry needing attention! <g>

Anyone have any experience in that area and can help finding laundry facilities?

Doug

Newer used but some cruisers have.

https://www.laundryheap.co.uk/london?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnaeNBhCUARIsABEee8XbEr7Bpj6Km-DNFC9ufSEPdLhdZNOL4KRm18-QJBH2Fv101p1lmucaAsQ4EALw_wcB

They have a “by weight” pricing

Edited by PORT ROYAL
By weight

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thanks. Maybe they have something similar in Southampton. I'll check.

Doug