EZ Air question

Mary Ann 2

American Airlines changed our flight into LAX.  For the first time, the time was better for us. BUT they changed our seats so we are in different rows and even different aisle!! I called Princess today after not being able to change seats on the Cruise Personalizer, but whoever I talked to said she got the same message that I did - contact your airline.  When I go to AA.com where we are a frequent flyer and the EZ Air for the next two booked cruises show up in our reservations, and I try to change seats there, it says until the ticket is issued the seats can't be changed.  So a run-around from both.  I could change our seats returning from LAX on Princess, so I can't figure out why I can't change the first flight.

Long story, sorry.  Has anyone had any luck with a situation like this?  I vaguely remember it happening on a Princess flight years ago and we just ticketed early, but since I don't even know yet if fall LAX cruises will happen, it's too early to ticket them.

I understand that while you are part of the AAdvantage program, you didn't say if you have enough status, i.e. Gold through Executive Platinum levels, to make seat changes on un-ticketed flights. However that said, you evidently can change your return tickets - are they also on AA? If they are, that's odd. Also, this behavior for AA isn't typical as generally they let you change tickets regardless of status. I get more frustrated with British Airways as that class-oriented culture generally won't let the lowly "unwashed" steerage class even get assigned seats until just before boarding. But ... I digress.

Rather than try and get seats through AA.com, call AA if you can stand the hold times. At least an agent can take a look at your PNR and see what the problem is. If you're really nice, they may override something and get you some seats.

Otherwise, since the tickets will be refundable up to 45 days out and if the cruise is canceled they're refundable no matter what, consider going ahead and paying for ticketing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

American Airlines changed our flight into LAX.  For the first time, the time was better for us. BUT they changed our seats so we are in different rows and even different aisle!! I called Princess today after not being able to change seats on the Cruise Personalizer, but whoever I talked to said she got the same message that I did - contact your airline.  When I go to AA.com where we are a frequent flyer and the EZ Air for the next two booked cruises show up in our reservations, and I try to change seats there, it says until the ticket is issued the seats can't be changed.  So a run-around from both.  I could change our seats returning from LAX on Princess, so I can't figure out why I can't change the first flight.

Long story, sorry.  Has anyone had any luck with a situation like this?  I vaguely remember it happening on a Princess flight years ago and we just ticketed early, but since I don't even know yet if fall LAX cruises will happen, it's too early to ticket them.

I have been in a similar situation where flights got changed on me with EZ Air.  The solution I ended up using was to just pay for the flight part of the trip - not the cruise - and then I could get on and change my seats.   If some for some reason the trip gets cancelled you still won't lose with EZ Air, unless it is really close to your travel date.  Hope this helps

OK. Try this:

Log on to Princess and Select Manage This Booking

Click on Travel - Your Flight Info should appear

Click on Add or Modify Flights 

Click on Request Seats - You should have the ability to see available seats and request change(s)

This works for us on a November EZ flight

HTH

• Like 2

Not for me. I followed steps:

> log into booking

> select travel 

> select Add or Modify Seats

> instead of 'request seats' I get:

20210615_150244.thumb.jpg.acf2e84c9302c3fe6318529afea9fb4b.jpg

What am I missing?? Seats never show. Is this bc its a flexible booking?

5 hours ago, Croooser said:

OK. Try this:

Log on to Princess and Select Manage This Booking

Click on Travel - Your Flight Info should appear

Click on Add or Modify Flights 

Click on Request Seats - You should have the ability to see available seats and request change(s)

This works for us on a November EZ flight

HTH

I tried this method previous to my post and it said seats not available, contact airlines.  

At this point, I am hoping since the flight was just changed, and they changed the type of plane that maybe it will get loaded into the Princess system soon.  I called AA yesterday, and there was a 4 hour wait, so I left a call back, and they never called back.  Kinda expected it though because they kept saying in the recordings to go to the next "level" that if you used a travel company, you needed to contact them.  

I was able to pick seats when we booked them months ago, but it's this change that is the problem.  Is everyone sure that if I purchase them early and get ticketed and the cruise is cancelled that they will be refundable?  Through Princess do you mean or through AA (their refund policy has been generous up to now, but things are changing rapidly).

3 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Is everyone sure that if I purchase them early and get ticketed and the cruise is cancelled that they will be refundable?  Through Princess do you mean or through AA (their refund policy has been generous up to now, but things are changing rapidly).

Through Princess.

On 6/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, Croooser said:

This.

7 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

At this point, I am hoping since the flight was just changed, and they changed the type of plane that maybe it will get loaded into the Princess system soon.  

Maybe this. Our flights are on American in November '21 and we can see and request seat changes. Hope it sorts out for you.

Ombud:

Are you on another airline or AA?

• Like 1

@Croooserthe flight is on American. That's the only airline where I cannot select a seat on a flexible booking. For Alaska & UA I just go to their website, for Air NZ / Canada / Nippon I have to call. But it isn't until December so not that urgent. Maybe I'll switch to UA.

I have AA flights and I am able to select my seats.  If you log in to Princess on the desktop/laptop, you will have the ability to change seats.  I just checked, I can't change seat on the phone when I access Princess website, but it shows the "Change Seat" button when I am on the laptop.

Edited by nyc12345
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Croooserthe flight is on American. That's the only airline where I cannot select a seat on a flexible booking. For Alaska & UA I just go to their website, for Air NZ / Canada / Nippon I have to call. But it isn't until December so not that urgent. Maybe I'll switch to UA.

OK. I am out of ideas. Our flights are on AA on Nov 1st. I can change seats on Princess but not on AA. I did have to add our AA FF #s to the Princess EZ Air booking on the Princess website. Once I did that, I can see the flights in our upcoming trips on our AA FF account info. AA site shows our flights as "ticket pending". 

NYC12345:  I get the option to change seats, but then it says it's not available and I need to contact the airline.  And the airline won't do anything until they are ticketed.

Croooser:  That's my experience also.  I can see them on AA as tickets pending.

Caribill:  Thanks for that confirmation.  Maybe we will decide to ticket early.

I could try to change the tickets altogether, but that scares me that I might lose what I have in the process and end up with awful times.  At least right now we have really good times.

• Like 1

Could it be that the two systems are somehow not 100% in sync (Princess and AA)?  If Princess can update the PNR, that might fix the problem.  You might need to ask them to transfer you to the air department to see if they can help...

I also can't change my seats on AA website, only on Princess website...

Edited by nyc12345
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nyc12345 said:

I have AA flights and I am able to select my seats.  If you log in to Princess on the desktop/laptop, you will have the ability to change seats.  I just checked, I can't change seat on the phone when I access Princess website, but it shows the "Change Seat" button when I am on the laptop.

OMG!!!!! My kid can get me seats on her computer but I cannot do it on my phone! I'm not changing ANYTHING about my Dec 9th cruise. Not the flight even if it goes down ($391 rt SFO -> Fll) not the cruise itself unless it drops more than 400 .... NOTHING. 

Just went to my AA App and my seats are confirmed 👍 

I think what irritates me right now is that it should be synchronized: website / mobile / MC app. It is with banking / investing / Healthcare (+ hotels / airlines / etc) which are all more sensitive than a cruise line site. Carnival Corp needs to step it up. They've had 4 yrs (2017-> for Medallion)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, nyc12345 said:

Could it be that the two systems are somehow not 100% in sync (Princess and AA)?  If Princess can update the PNR, that might fix the problem.  You might need to ask them to transfer you to the air department to see if they can help...

I also can't change my seats on AA website, only on Princess website...

Interesting development ... I finally convinced someone to ask their supervisor to be able to contact EZ Air which he did.  EZ Air said that they cannot see the seating chart either!!

I walked through the whole thing on the phone with the AA automated system and finally got it (after 2 tries) to try to change my seats.  It also couldn't see the seating chart for this flight!!!

I give up!! Apparently AA has lost the 777-200 seating chart - maybe they could borrow one from SeatGuru!! 🤯

I guess I will try again in a week or just wait until final payment next month and hope that I can get in then and they have seats left.

9 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Caribill:  Thanks for that confirmation.  Maybe we will decide to ticket early.

Is there an advantage to ticketing early that I've just not yet figured out? 

For as long as we've been using EZAir we've held off paying for the air until we make final payment for the cruise. And we are constantly looking at each EZAir booking and frequently making changes whenever there is a price reduction in the airfare. 

If we are missing something that would potentially save us a few bucks, we'd sure like to know about it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Is there an advantage to ticketing early that I've just not yet figured out?

In some cases purchasing an upgrade from an airline cannot be done until the ticket is issued. So people will get ticketed early so they can purchase the upgrade, some times with FF miles.

The disadvantage of getting ticketed early is that you now are bound by the airline's cancellation policy instead of Princess' policy which allows changes/cancellation up to 45 before flight or sailing (whichever comes first) with no penalties.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caribill said:

In some cases purchasing an upgrade from an airline cannot be done until the ticket is issued. So people will get ticketed early so they can purchase the upgrade, some times with FF miles.

The disadvantage of getting ticketed early is that you now are bound by the airline's cancellation policy instead of Princess' policy which allows changes/cancellation up to 45 before flight or sailing (whichever comes first) with no penalties.

VG post.

23 hours ago, caribill said:

Sage advice. I get it now. Thanks.