Am I being too optimistic? Royal Princess out of Sydney, Australia on Dec 20, 2021

SJunie

I have made the reservation, but haven't put down the deposit yet. I have two days to make up my mind. I read the other thread on here about the possibility of even a March, 2022 cruise out of Australia happening.  Am I being too optimistic in even thinking that Australia will be open to international travelers in half a year? 

The deposit is fully refundable, but I don't want to tie up the FCCs that I am using for this cruise if it looks like it is going to get cancelled, or international travel to Australia is not feasible. Any Australians on here who can give some insight?  Thanks.

Maybe you should post your question on the Australia/NZ board under categories here on Cruise Critic?

I can tell you we had booked a Jan 2020 there and several months ago there was no way that is going to sail (for all the reasons you read up on).

For us it was a no brained to switch to a 2023 cruise there.

Wish you the best what ever you decide

Our PM has stated that borders are not expected to open until at least mid 2022, which means no overseas arrivals or departures (for AUS citizens) without a special exemption. Sorry, I can't see your cruise operating for any overseas pax at all.

• Like 2

Sorry but I strongly feel that it won't happen.

Even for us living in Australia they have cancelled cruises up to at least the 17th of September this year.

So I think that we will be lucky if the Royal Princess even comes down here this year.

Better off leaving travel to Australia for the 22/23 summer cruise season down here.

I hope you find another wonderful cruise to do over the Christmas season.🙂

I do love the way they decorate the Princess ships during the holiday season.

• Like 1

We have TransTasman cruises booked in February 2022; I will be extremely surprised if they go ahead,   I can see no cruises in the Australia and New Zealand region this summer season.   

P&O Aus have done a major cancellation already and NCL has cancelled all cruises by the only ship it was bringing south.

We also have a cruise booked out of Melbourne on December 1st but I will be stunned if it goes.  Flexible EZAir prices from the USA to Melbourne provides a strong clue that the US airlines just have flights as a placeholder.  For example, direct United flights have no seats for sale in economy even though the planes are empty.  There are some with connections but they are around $4K, more than 4 times what we have paid previously.  If I start to see the prices rationalize then it may give a glimmer of hope that we will be able to travel to Australia this year.  We only have FCCs on it so no worries about transferring them to another cruise next year after the official cancellation announcement comes.

It's becoming more and more unlikely that cruising will happen in our 21/22 season but even if so it does I can't see our government opening the border to overseas visitors by then. That won't happen until our government is satisfied that a sufficient percentage of out population has been vaccinated and due to government stuff-ups, supply issues and peoole being scared of blood clot from the AstraZenica vaccine, our vaccine rollout is going far slower than we would like.

Curnard have have just cancelled all their 21/22 Australasian cruises and other cruise lines will probably do the same soon since they can't get any sensible decisions from our governments. 

A spokesperson for the cruise industry in NZ appeared on TV about a week ago to bemoan the fact that they were unable to get any informative talks going with the NZ Government.   

He said they were trying to get a situation for cruise ships similar to that applying to Australians and New Zealanders flying between the two countries under our bubble.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's becoming more and more unlikely that cruising will happen in our 21/22 season but even if so it does I can't see our government opening the border to overseas visitors by then. That won't happen until our government is satisfied that a sufficient percentage of out population has been vaccinated and due to government stuff-ups, supply issues and peoole being scared of blood clot from the AstraZenica vaccine, our vaccine rollout is going far slower than we would like.

Curnard have have just cancelled all their 21/22 Australasian cruises and other cruise lines will probably do the same soon since they can't get any sensible decisions from our governments. 

I just had a Cunard December one cancelled and hope Princess make their mind up soon as I have one booked for October and think it won't go ahead but good to have clarity before payment is due though it's not a lot so maybe will pay up and get FCC to roll over for something next season. Son who is booked with me will be disappointed though maybe we will just do a land trip to NZ.

Re vaccination - have had one AZ and next is due in July so will be fully vaccinated.

Edited by Aussieflyer

On 6/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, SJunie said:

Am I being too optimistic in even thinking that Australia will be open to international travelers in half a year?

Yes. Most likely mid 2022 before international air tourists are allowed. Likely, but not definitely.

Cruising? Nobody knows except to say, after that.