Cunard cancellations update 16th June

MelbTone

Just now, foodsvcmgr said:

If that’s the case I suspect it will be something like 14 days r/t New York and 10 days Ft.
Lauderdale for the same, rather than two completely different, cruise(s).

Not particularly attractive for those sailing out of NY.

Cunard should study NCL’s itineraries to the Caribbean ex-NY, far more creative and interesting than what has been on offer for the past decade on QM2.

There was this earlier indication that QM2 might be doing two cruises to the Caribbean via New York and a third cruise to the Caribbean via Florida.

"In place of her World Voyage, Queen Mary 2 will instead sail a series of three roundtrip voyages from Southampton to the Caribbean – one will sail via the Canary Islands and two will sail via New York ...".

Though hardly conclusive, if the plan is for QM2 to do one of the Caribbean cruises via the Canary Islands, it would seem to make sense for that cruise to call at Fort Lauderdale (skipping New York). The other two might be the more typical Caribbean cruises calling at New York (and not Fort Lauderdale). Of course time will tell. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer to learn the details.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The new itineraries are now showing on the US site, with bookings open the 21st.

Quite right, and you've no doubt noticed what we've been discussing on another thread. My conjecture about the new QM2 Caribbean itineraries was off the mark. As it turned out, those three QM2 Caribbean itineraries for early 2022 are as follows.

1) Southampton - Canary Islands - Caribbean

2) Southampton - New York - Caribbean

3) Southampton - New York - Fort Lauderdale - Caribbean

Edited by bluemarble

Does anyone know what the situation is if, having booked a cruised (and paid in full), what happens if one is pinged by the NHS app and told to self-isolate?  Would this be deemed to be an unenforced cancellation? Do customers lose their money? We are due to pay in full shortly for our September staycation cruise and we are reluctant to do so if there is a risk of losing our money.

I would assume this is covered by travel insurance in the same way any other medical cancellatioon would be. Our final payment left my bank account this morning for our Aug 20th QE Voyage to the Sun cruise. We will be self isolating (ish) from the 6th Aug just in case, we don't want to miss out when we could have avoided it.

Cancellation in case of an app ping is an interesting situation because legally speaking you do not have to isolate for a ping, only for a phone call by the NHS Test and Trace people. So, depending on T&Cs, your insurance company could deny the claim if they wanted to be evil. Obviously it is morally right that you should isolate for a ping so I would hope that insurance companies will pay out but I honestly wouldn't put it past insurance companies!

I plan to stay at home for the two weeks leading up to my cruise to make sure I can't be pinged or phoned as a close contact.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:21 PM, Lanky Lad said:

Yes I got a refund within a few days of asking for it

Thanks. Maybe it’s because I am in the US. I Requested a refund over a month ago and have heard nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, MelbTone said:

Just received from Cunard: that's my 2022 QM2 Melbourne-Fremantle cruise knocked out for the second year running - TBH not totally unexpectedly

Our forecasts are showing that due to the number of affected international ports of call, and when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver a Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. As a result of this decision, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled. We understand you would have been excited to sail this itinerary with us and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

Since Cunard had done away with most Caribbean trips..We switched to Princess/Celebrity/Oceania. Oceania has all of them beaten when it comes to food quality. We booked at 14 night trip out of New York for Feb.22. We also have a 14 day trip on Oceania Riviera in Jan. 2022, We can only do one. Our original trip was the Oceania one, but a number of the island stops are now at level 4 Covid alert. The QM2 trip is a hedge bet. We'll cancel one before the deadline. We really don't want to putz around on a ship, but if we must, the QM2 has much more to do on board.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously wishing we hadn't booked to go on a staycation cruise on QE this Friday. First, the day after our full payment was due, Cunard announced that shore visits would be official excursions only.  If I wanted to go on a coach holiday we would have booked a Wallace Arnold trip.  Now we are reading that it seems mask must be worn in most areas including the theatres.  A number of the spa rooms are closed (why?).  No dancing allowed other than iin "hosted dancing sessions" which we assume is code for lessons. Others today reporting that the Holyhead stop is switched to Belfast (although that might be a slight improvement).  Everyone has been double jabbed and will have tested negative for covid before boardning.  This is our first cruise and our experience now certainly means it will be our last: we would have more freedom of movement and association if we'd washed up in Dover on a rubber dinghy.

1 hour ago, Sixfielder said:

Seriously wishing we hadn't booked to go on a staycation cruise on QE this Friday. First, the day after our full payment was due, Cunard announced that shore visits would be official excursions only.  If I wanted to go on a coach holiday we would have booked a Wallace Arnold trip.  Now we are reading that it seems mask must be worn in most areas including the theatres.  A number of the spa rooms are closed (why?).  No dancing allowed other than iin "hosted dancing sessions" which we assume is code for lessons. Others today reporting that the Holyhead stop is switched to Belfast (although that might be a slight improvement).  Everyone has been double jabbed and will have tested negative for covid before boardning.  This is our first cruise and our experience now certainly means it will be our last: we would have more freedom of movement and association if we'd washed up in Dover on a rubber dinghy.

Just home from QE sun cruise. Masks to be worn while moving around inside but sit down and it can come off. Masks in the theatre, yes, but quite understandable and worth the restriction. Dancing in the Queen's room every evening with no masks required. Didn’t do any lessons as they are basic for beginners. These cruises have all been advertised as ship’s excursions only from the beginning, so not a new announcement from Cunard. 

Don’t let this put you off your first cruise. You’ll find the whole overall experience a joy, I hope. 

Edited by Mumsysailor
Added to post.
  • Like 1

I agree with Mumsysailor. We were also on last week’s QE sun cruise. We had a massage in the spa , Pilates classes in the gym, singing in the pub and plenty of dancing in the Queen’s room. Once you were in place masks were not required and the same applied in lounges and bars. We didn’t have any port stops so can’t comment about shore excursions but we had a fantastic time. Don’t let your concerns put you off just be reassured that they are taking Covid seriously and trying to minimise risk while giving you as great an experience as they can. 

• Like 1

Well, here we are, getting closer to the end of year sailings and people are worried about cancellations.  I remember when I was told that it was way too early to worry about that.  My reservation is for 1/3/22 NYC to Southhampton and was told recently that my deposit is due by 9/5 and if not received by then my reservation will be cancelled.   Yet they are cancelling 2022 voyages?  So I either lose my $214 deposit or pay the balance (which is about $1700)  and wonder how long it will take to get that back if the 1/3/22 voyage is cancelled which is likely.  No one wants dumb American anti-vaxxers who are allowing the Delta variant to explode.  

• Like 1