Flying Etiquette for newbies or non frequent fliers

klfrodo

The person in the middle seat gets both arm rests. They're in the freakin middle row. Let them have some dignity.

If it's a wide body with 2X5X2????  I don't know. Work something out. Don't be a Karen.

• Like 1

These tips can fall under etiquette as they can help you act more rationally.

If you have an early morning Flight and want to park your car consider a Hotel Park and Fly if you arrive late at night on the return book a 2nd night as well.

I would plan on arriving early for your Flight and even look into Lounge Access if you have a long layover!  Also don't be that passenger who overpacks be sure you weigh your luggage before you leave home and make sure your suitcases meets the dimensions. Also it helps to prepay your luggage online 24 hours before checkin as  not only will you save money it will alert the airline that you are checking in bags. 

Also if you have not done so and your fare allows it chose your seats ahead of time.    

Before you go through security be sure that your liquids are in a 3-1-1 Baggie and your electronics are ready to go for inspection. I put my Wallet and phone in the Bin. Getting TSA Pre Check speeds up the process!  Generally the left most security lane is the shortest line as most people are right handed and will take the right most lane. The same goes at Customs. Download Mobile Passport and  have your Passport Info ready to go.  Upon landing make sure your cellphone is charged and fill out the declaration form just after landing!    Global Entry is worth it for $100 it includes TSA Pre Check. 

Bring a refillable water bottle as some airports have these Refilling Stations. If not a Starbucks will give you a Complimentary Venti Iced Water-Leave a small tip. 

Have a Tablet and download your Airline's app to watch their Free Streaming Content!   

Download your Airline's app on your Smart Phone and check in 24 hours before. Also look out for First Class Upgrades sometimes paying the fare difference or even booking First Class will offset the luggage fees.  

For instance I booked a SJC-LAX-SJC r/t flight on Alaska and First Class was $61 more than coach. Checking in Bags is $60 for $1 more I can check in another bag which would be $70 and it includes Airline Lounge Access which is $50 a person.

Consider opening up a Credit Card with the Airline to get Free Bags even for the $99 annual fee which is generally waived  for the first year and with bonus miles generally for a $1,000 spend within the first three months grants you the bonus miles sometimes you only need to spend $3.   

Use Curbside Checkin and tip $2 per bag but  do check to see what line is shorter.

Use a Car Service to your Airport to avoid the stress. 

Please don't bring smelly food onboard as well as put your feet up  in between the chair in front of you. 

Wear headphones and be mindful of the volume levels. Noise Cancelling headphones are a godsend. 

Put your Cellphone and other electronics into Game/Airplane Mode before boarding.  

Be polite to the overworked Flight Crew and Passengers. You are in a can for the next x amount of hours!   If you have Children be sure you  tell them before how to act and not bother others.

If you need to change a diaper please DO NOT do it at your seat. Also if your  baby/toddler cries please try to take them away from other passengers like in the lavratory to cry!

Be mindful of other passengers especially on early morning late night flights by not talking loudly. Do not drink too much alcohol before flying because as an infrequent flier you may not know the effects.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The person in the middle seat gets both arm rests. They're in the freakin middle row. Let them have some dignity.

If it's a wide body with 2X5X2????  I don't know. Work something out. Don't be a Karen.

2x5x2? The good old days when they only stuffed nine across in economy and not 10...

8 hours ago, travelplus said:

Generally the left most security lane is the shortest line as most people are right handed and will take the right most lane.

Put your Cellphone and other electronics into Game/Airplane Mode before boarding.  

On the first one - wait, really? Do you have any data on this? I'm genuinely curious, because I have never heard this before and, if true and factual, fascinates me. 

On the cell phone one, I totally disagree. I'm not going to be answering calls when sitting at my seat, but I am definitely going to be playing around on my phone while people stream by for 20 (or more) minutes. I'll turn my phone to airplane mode at the appropriate time, but definitely not when I step on the plane. 

10 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

2x5x2? The good old days when they only stuffed nine across in economy and not 10...

On the first one - wait, really? Do you have any data on this? I'm genuinely curious, because I have never heard this before and, if true and factual, fascinates me. 

On the cell phone one, I totally disagree. I'm not going to be answering calls when sitting at my seat, but I am definitely going to be playing around on my phone while people stream by for 20 (or more) minutes. I'll turn my phone to airplane mode at the appropriate time, but definitely not when I step on the plane. 

For tips on how to clear Security Quickly

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/get-through-tsa-airport-security-fastest-left-line

Which links to an article on Pop Sugar -- such a knowledgeable travel site I wonder how I missed it.

Let's just say.....any article that puts in BS advice on asking for upgrades by telling them it's your honeymoon immediately is disqualified in my opinion.  They are just regurgitating the same clickbait that's been incorrectly around for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:01 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Which links to an article on Pop Sugar -- such a knowledgeable travel site I wonder how I missed it.

I wonder how one gets a job writing such nonsense.  Could start a blog with all the "tips" read on CC and other such sites.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, 6rugrats said:

I wonder how one gets a job writing such nonsense.  Could start a blog with all the "tips" read on CC and other such sites.

Step one:  Find an outlet that has weak to non-existent editors.

Step two:  Cash their checks quickly before the site folds from having no genuine content.

Step three:  Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1