Suites and their connecting cabins

FoggyEthan

Perhaps I'm just being an optimist, but if you are in an ES and the connecting cabin is not booked, has anyone had success convincing them to let you have access to it at a reasonable price upon boarding? I'm traveling with a friend, and it would be very nice if we each had our own space!

(Yes, I acknowledge: First World Problems)

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Perhaps I'm just being an optimist, but if you are in an ES and the connecting cabin is not booked, has anyone had success convincing them to let you have access to it at a reasonable price upon boarding? I'm traveling with a friend, and it would be very nice if we each had our own space!

(Yes, I acknowledge: First World Problems)

Doubtful. 

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Does Viking even have connecting stateroom ?

Hmm... I'd thought that the two rear-facing ESs adjoined with their neighboring small staterooms. But I can't find this now so maybe I'm just confused... Nevermind. 8-)

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Hmm... I'd thought that the two rear-facing ESs adjoined with their neighboring small staterooms. But I can't find this now so maybe I'm just confused... Nevermind. 8-)

I have a DV1 which is one of two staterooms between the two Explorer suites on the aft of the. ship;.  I

hope there is not a connecting door .!? I will check it out on July 13.  

4 minutes ago, aungrl said:

We were in one of the aft ES suites on Deck 3 and I can confirm that it does not connect in any way to the cabin next door.  

Perhaps I just saw somewhere that it was a recommended way four 4 people to share one ES's common space. Thanks for clarifying!

I have a DV1 which is one of two staterooms between the two Explorer suites on the aft of the. ship;.  I

I'm 5108 on July 13. Come over and see me sometime. 8-)

Maybe you could open both connecting doors (if they exist) and have a super large suite with your new found friends? 🙂

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Does Viking even have connecting stateroom ?

We were on the Viking Homelands Cruise  and had PS1 room and our friends had the one next door.  Our stewards would open the gate between our balconies when we docked so we could go visit without going in the hall.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Perhaps I just saw somewhere that it was a recommended way four 4 people to share one ES's common space. Thanks for clarifying!

We were in 4000 and it did not have connecting doors to any adjoining cabin. I can't imagine Viking providing you access, if an adjacent cabin was empty.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I'm 5108 on July 13. Come over and see me sometime. 8-)

Ha we are on the 4th deck in a DV1 aft ,

You are  the front of of the ship?  My friends had  a ESi  n  the front. those are really nice staterooms. Enjoy.

But it is  nice walk down to the elevators. 

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Ha we are on the 4th deck in a DV1 aft ,

You are  the front of of the ship?  My friends had  a ESi  n  the front. those are really nice staterooms. Enjoy.

But it is  nice walk down to the elevators. 

Nope, we're also aft. But we're on the left of the ship, which is doing a clockwise circuit around Iceland, so the view will always be from the other side while sailing. Doh!

12 hours ago, aungrl said:

We were in one of the aft ES suites on Deck 3 and I can confirm that it does not connect in any way to the cabin next door.  

Do you happen to have any photos to share? There seem to be remarkably few available of the aft ES cabins.

Top tip - Googling for "Aft Explorer" might not get the results you'd hoped for 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Do you happen to have any photos to share? There seem to be remarkably few available of the aft ES cabins.

Top tip - Googling for "Aft Explorer" might not get the results you'd hoped for 🤣 

We checked with Viking on the subject of connecting rooms a few cruises ago and were told that there are no connecting rooms on there ships.   On most cruise ships the walls between the stateroom verandas can be opened to help with cleaning the decks.  Some cruise lines will remove the wall on the veranda between two rooms on request from both cabins to allow two rooms to connect.   I have never explored this with Viking.   

10 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

This made me laugh out loud.   I think I do have some photos; getting them posted, however, may be a bit of a challenge.  But I'll work on finding and uploading them over the weekend if not before.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:18 AM, FoggyEthan said:

Nope, we're also aft. But we're on the left of the ship, which is doing a clockwise circuit around Iceland, so the view will always be from the other side while sailing. Doh!

Aft you will always be able to see both sides.Fantastic views! 
We were in an ES and there are no adjoining doors in the aft .

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, WanderingBrit said:

Okay, it turns out that I took many pictures of this stateroom.  I'll do my best to attach them for you below.  It looks like on my end it works, but lmk if you don't see them.  And if you have any other questions after looking, I'll be happy to try to answer.  The balcony wrapped around both sides, but my photos of it aren't good.  It was long, but narrow.

2018 - 01.28c Stateroom 3094 - bedroom.JPG

2018 - 01.28d Stateroom 3094 - living room.JPG

2018 - 01.28e Stateroom 3094 - living room.JPG

2018 - 01.28f Stateroom 3094 - closet.JPG

2018 - 01.28g Stateroom 3094 - closet.JPG

2018 - 01.28h Stateroom 3094 - bath & shower.JPG

2018 - 01.28i Stateroom 3094 - view from the bathtub.JPG

2018 - 01.28j Stateroom 3094 - bathroom.JPG

2018 - 01.28k Stateroom 3094 - bathroom.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Okay, it turns out that I took many pictures of this stateroom.  I'll do my best to attach them for you below.  It looks like on my end it works, but lmk if you don't see them.  And if you have any other questions after looking, I'll be happy to try to answer.  The balcony wrapped around both sides, but my photos of it aren't good.  It was long, but narrow.

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it 🙂

Which ship were you on? I believe the furnishings are a little different from one to another.

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Thanks so much! When I google "viking 5108" I get some photos that look very similar. Were they yours?

One thing I'm wondering: for the bedroom, the photo almost seems a little bleak. Is there any art or decor or something?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

50 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Thanks so much! When I google "viking 5108" I get some photos that look very similar. Were they yours?

One thing I'm wondering: for the bedroom, the photo almost seems a little bleak. Is there any art or decor or something?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

The file names suggest this was 3094

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it 🙂

Which ship were you on? I believe the furnishings are a little different from one to another.

This was the Sky.  I was treating my mom to a special birthday cruise, so we splashed out for this suite.  (My husband and I normally prefer something a little more central.)  It was 3094, I think, if memory serves.  We did get some splashing on the deck the first couple of days.  I thought they were doing extra cleaning or something, but it turns out it was from the pool.  They figured out the problem and corrected it by the third day.  I would recommend an aft ES if you were going for that level of cabin.  We had friends who the upgrade fairy mysteriously gifted with a forward ES and - while they were thrilled at the unexpected upgrade and extra room - they would definitely not choose it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Thanks!

-- Ethan

Ethan, WanderingBrit is correct - this was 3094.  And, interestingly, my mother made the same observation about the bedroom.  Additionally, she's just a touch claustrophobic, and she was more comfortable at night if I left the curtains open.  While I personally didn't find it bleak - and we weren't in there very much other than to sleep! - it was on the smallish side compared to the rest of the rooms, and what you see in my picture is pretty much what it was.

13 hours ago, aungrl said:

... I would recommend an aft ES if you were going for that level of cabin.  ...

We will be one floor above on Orion on her last sailing out of Bermuda at the beginning of August. This may be the only time we feel we can afford an ES2 cabin, as the cost is about the same as what we were to have paid for an aft Haven Balcony on NCL Joy - before that was cancelled. I'm fairly certain I'm going to prefer the Viking experience too 🙂

Kevin