time needed before plane departs

WJBonds

Hi Boys and girls - thanks in advance for helping... We are taking the Insignia - LA to Auckland segment.  We arrive in Auckland (according to the itinerary) at 8:00 AM - is there enough time to take the American Air 12:15 PM plane back to the U.S. or will we be rushed.  BTW - I asked this question to the Oceania help desk but they won't answer because I didn't book the air through them...

Also, if anyone has the email address for the Oceania president, Robert Binder, I would appreciate it.  I think the executives would be appalled at the "help" that the "helpdesk" does out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WJBonds said:

Hi Boys and girls - thanks in advance for helping... We are taking the Insignia - LA to Auckland segment.  We arrive in Auckland (according to the itinerary) at 8:00 AM - is there enough time to take the American Air 12:15 PM plane back to the U.S. or will we be rushed.  BTW - I asked this question to the Oceania help desk but they won't answer because I didn't book the air through them...

Also, if anyone has the email address for the Oceania president, Robert Binder, I would appreciate it.  I think the executives would be appalled at the "help" that the "helpdesk" does out.

Gotta ask: why, after going all that way, would you not spend a few days in Auckland?

In any case, most international airports recommend several hours pre-flight airport arrival for intercontinental trips. Add to that the reality that 8:00 AM is the SCHEDULED arrival time in Auckland. Then there’s disembarkation, clearing customs, getting to the airport.

Late arrival? Customs issue? Traffic Jam? 
Bottom line is that you’ve built in zero buffer.

• Like 4

Not spending extra time in NZ for 2 reasons.  First is that we will have been away from home for 6 weeks prior to disembarking the ship.  2nd is that we spent a week in Auckland just 2 years ago.  My wife wants to get off the ship and go home.  BTW - after some back and forth, Oceania finally said that they were comfortable with 11:00am or later departures from AKL.

2 minutes ago, WJBonds said:

Not spending extra time in NZ for 2 reasons.  First is that we will have been away from home for 6 weeks prior to disembarking the ship.  2nd is that we spent a week in Auckland just 2 years ago.  My wife wants to get off the ship and go home.  BTW - after some back and forth, Oceania finally said that they were comfortable with 11:00am or later departures from AKL.

Perhaps yes.  But, the person on the phone is not the one flying. 
 You may be just fine. But, I wouldn’t do an intercontinental flight until six hours after scheduled arrival at disembarkation port. Of course, I’m also someone who would never do an international layover of less than two to three hours (seen too many delays of originating intercontinental flights when I flew a lot for work).

On a related topic, it would be great if your original itinerary stays intact. Several years ago, we did Sydney to L.A. on O and it was terrific. In 2023, we’ve got SYD-PPT booked (and will stay in Polynesia for a while before heading home to SFO).

I would not risk the tight schedule as proposed.  Avoid the stress of the tight connection and take a later flight, probably the next day.  Why end a wonderful trip with a stressful flight connection?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WJBonds said:

How far is the port from the airport ?

You would need to check in at least 2-3 hrs prior to the flight

I would do it in MIA but not sure about AKL

Depends on the clearance procedure there

JMO

3 hours ago, WJBonds said:

We arrive in Auckland (according to the itinerary) at 8:00 AM - is there enough time to take the American Air 12:15 PM plane back to the U.S. or will we be rushed.

In all likelihood it would be OK, but I wouldn't risk it. 

I've finished meetings in Auckland CBD at 4.45pm and been on a 6.30pm plane to Australia - but there are planes to Australia all the time  so not as big a risk (and no luggage to check).

Port to Auckland airport in a cab is about half an hour. 

You biggest risks are: delay arriving at the port; delay getting into NZ through customs at the port; delay getting a cab at the port; delay in traffic getting to the airport.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

How far is the port from the airport ?

You would need to check in at least 2-3 hrs prior to the flight

I would do it in MIA but not sure about AKL

Depends on the clearance procedure there

JMO

Of course, the other issue is that it’s very unlikely that segment will end up in Auckland.

If there really is a potential itinerary problem or entering New Zealand or flight scheduling times, the simple fix is to take the Free Oceania Air so they are on the hook to get you to airports and home.  If the Oceania Air Department would schedule you on that tight a flight, go for it but if not. Consider other options. 

Our experience with an Auckland-Sydney cruise was back in 2008, PLUS we arrived in Auckland and returned from Sydney.

That being said, I would play it safe and stay one more night in Auckland and find a morning flight home the next day.  It's just not worth the risk.  Yes, you MIGHT have time to make the flight you are looking at.  But we've bee on cruises where the ship didn't dock in time (yes, more often they were early but you can't count on that).  I understand your wife's want to get home NOW but one more night shouldn't be a problem and it's a lot less risk.

JMO

Mura

• Like 1

It's 40 clicks from the cruise dock to the airport and a good portion of it on regular surface roads, not expressways. I would pre arrange transport to pick you up as early as O thinks you'll clear customs. Is it doable? Yes, if preplanned. If you can get picked up at say 9AM, you should be fine.